+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Way to an Independent and Prosperous Wales

Re: The Way to an Independent and Prosperous Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why though? Didn't Wales vote to come out of the EU?
    True. Forget Europe then, we'll just do the Celtic Nations thing.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    True. Forget Europe then, we'll just do the Celtic Nations thing.
    But Scotland and Ireland want to be in the eu

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    But Scotland and Ireland want to be in the eu
    Perhaps we should just join forces with England.........

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Extremely patriotic, once they have moved away
    Yes. Of all countries in the UK, the Welsh describe themselves as more British than any of their celtic cousins.

Why not? We'll have a left wing Government here in Wales if we were to go independent. I'm sure they would look to increase taxation. In fact it's certain they would need to.
    The opposite is going to be true. We'd need to attract business, which won't happen if we want more in taxation than England. People with money aren't going to stay in Wales if they are going to be taxed less (or have more opportunity for tax breaks) elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Shouldnt we be discussing this in Welsh?
    Syniad gwych

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Syniad gwych
    I think many if us are hypocrites (me included) whereby we can bang on about being Welsh and complain about the language being snuffed out whilst not making any effort to learn it ourselves - and so much of a country's culture is contained and enveloped by its language.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think many if us are hypocrites (me included) whereby we can bang on about being Welsh and complain about the language being snuffed out whilst not making any effort to learn it ourselves - and so much of a country's culture is contained and enveloped by its language.
    I speak fluent Welsh but I'm not from one of the "Welshie" areas of Cardiff (Pontcanna) and I think that some of the blame for the lack of Welsh speakers can be laid at the door at some Welsh speakers who have an elitist attitude to wards the language and that discourages people from learning and using the language

I speak fluent Welsh but I'm not from one of the "Welshie" areas of Cardiff (Pontcanna) and I think that some of the blame for the lack of Welsh speakers can be laid at the door at some Welsh speakers who have an elitist attitude to wards the language and that discourages people from learning and using the language

I'd have guessed that Pontcanna was a buttie area
    Welsh is quite often heard in the Three Arches, I have lived in my current house for 25 years and have always had a Welsh speaking neighbor, on occasions both sides have been fluent Welsh.

Could be. And another barrier may be that it's impossible to find a Welsh speaker who doesn't speak English - whereas one can usually find somewhere in other countries where our basic grasp of the language is the only medium of communication, which helps.

Banned

un o bobl, un wlad, un arweinydd

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    What % of jobs in Wales are UK Govt Public Sector ones ? - which would disappear if we were not part of the UK ?

I like the UK as it was - a united kingdom of 4 countries.

We could be independent like Scotland wants to be - BUT - you cut your cloth accordingly - so you standard of living will go down. We get out of the UK more than we generate in tax. If we were out of the UK but in the EU we would be no more than small a eastern european type country, that relies on EU hand outs every year - in return for cheap labour imports and a single currency that is screwed and skewed against us - no thanks basically.
    And as has been said, there is the £15 billion tax deficit that needs to be made up. That's not going to be easy. Can someone explain how we will bridge that one.

I don't see any mention any where of any loyalty to the UK just financial barriers (which some are just ignoring??) as to why Wales can't go it alone.

Just as well the English government don't see it the same way eh!

And as has been said, there is the £15 billion tax deficit that needs to be made up. That's not going to be easy. Can someone explain how we will bridge that one.
    Bucket collection next home game?