+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malky Mackay's emotional Cardiff City admission...

Re: Malky Mackay's emotional Cardiff City admission...

Much like the rebrand this has been debated thousand of times and neither side are going to change their mind now.

Personally I didn't like the bloke, or his football and think we were going down with or without him in charge. We were dropping like a stone and IMO the squad wasn't good enough when he had been given the funds to give us more than a good chance of ensuring it was good enough.

He's clearly trying to put himself in the shop window again and still playing some of our fans like a fiddle.

Perhaps he can come back and play Santa in this years Xmas party seeing as Trollope is only tall enough to play an elf.
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 22-08-16 at 07:37.

Very good manager for us, made all the more apparent when looking at our appointments since.

Off the pitch we can't really talk about but you can't argue with the results.

Difficult one.

I think he was a good manager, but the promotion to the Prem = great manager argument, is a bit flawed imho. With the money/squad we had at the time, any manager in the championship should've been able to take us up.

That said, I do think we would've stayed up if he'd stayed.

If we'd stayed up, would we still be in Red? I don't know.

But I'd rather be where we are now in Blue than on Match of the Day in red.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Much like the rebrand this has been debated thousand of times and neither side are going to change their mind now.

Personally I didn't like the bloke, or his football and think we were going down with or without him in charge. We were dropping like a stone and IMO the squad wasn't good enough when he had been given the funds to give us more than a good chance of ensuring it was good enough.

He's clearly trying to put himself in the shop window again and still playing some of our fans like a fiddle.

Perhaps he can come back and play Santa in this years Xmas party seeing as Trollope is only tall enough to play an elf.
    You say we were dropping like a stone when Mackay left, but it's a matter of fact that, in his penultimate home match in charge, we won exactly the sort of fixture that was going to define whether we stayed up or went down.

I should have added in my first message that it is a fact that Mackay admitted to sending dubious e-mails which reflected him in a very poor light, he also made some signings which were universally condemned - it's very hard to defend him on those two fronts, but, speaking for myself, his record on purely footballing grounds was easily good enough for him to have been given the rest of the season to try and keep us clear from the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Difficult one.

I think he was a good manager, but the promotion to the Prem = great manager argument, is a bit flawed imho. With the money/squad we had at the time, any manager in the championship should've been able to take us up.

Not sure I agree there. Our promotion squad was a greater than the sum of its parts kind of team.

it's all subjective but I don't think we would have stayed up. There were definitely signs that we were being found out and our inability to create chances was a major flaw.

I thought Malky brought standards to our club that have been in steady decline since but I think Malky also played the fans in his conflict with Tan and the press conference he called on Xmas eve to tell everyone that vincent wouldn't talk to him was evidence that he was using the fans in his game

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    He's trying his hardest to get in somewhere fair play to him.....But i still have the feeling that the football world know something we don't.
    ..there's a fair few who know that 'something'....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'd have Malky back here tomorrow.

Why, what's happening tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You say we were dropping like a stone when Mackay left, but it's a matter of fact that, in his penultimate home match in charge, we won exactly the sort of fixture that was going to define whether we stayed up or went down.

I should have added in my first message that it is a fact that Mackay admitted to sending dubious e-mails which reflected him in a very poor light, he also made some signings which were universally condemned - it's very hard to defend him on those two fronts, but, speaking for myself, his record on purely footballing grounds was easily good enough for him to have been given the rest of the season to try and keep us clear from the drop.
    Hindsight ! At the time, we all felt the squad just wasn't good enough. OGS has said that the players kept telling him they didn't think they were good enough - they knew it. What the question should perhaps be, is if Mackay and his buddy had brought in players who he thought could improve the squad - rather than for more dubious reasons, we may have had a decent chance...

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Difficult one.

I thought Mackay's first season was impressive, and I felt then that he had one eye on a 3-5 year project. After that first season, the direction of the club changed, and it was promotion at any cost.

It would have been interesting to see how Mackay's original plan would have gone. I really enjoyed that season, and the League Cup Final was one of the best occasions I experienced watching Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Ah, the usual nudge, nudge, wink, wink stuff - nearly four years after it first appeared and it's still nothing but speculation.

What the question should perhaps be, is if Mackay and his buddy had brought in players who he thought could improve the squad - rather than for more dubious reasons, we may have had a decent chance...
    Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Hindsight ! At the time, we all felt the squad just wasn't good enough. OGS has said that the players kept telling him they didn't think they were good enough - they knew it. What the question should perhaps be, is if Mackay and his buddy had brought in players who he thought could improve the squad - rather than for more dubious reasons, we may have had a decent chance...
    I'm giving the occasional opinion yes, but I'm trying to stick to facts and am baffled by what the word "Hindsight" in your message signifies - all you have done is post opinions and make accusations which have been investigated and had no action taken on them.

Its hard to argue that MM wasnt a good manager for us because his achievements were greater than anything that went before that.

However he had an incredible budget to work with, and even in the championship its hard to argue that he did the best with this budget, there were always player brought in on inflated fees, that never went on to justify those figures.

His actions while in charge of the club sours his time in charge, and for me personally i'll never look at his time here with a fondness, and for many reasons i prefer DJ spell here over his.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Its hard to argue that MM wasnt a good manager for us because his achievements were greater than anything that went before that.

However he had an incredible budget to work with, and even in the championship its hard to argue that he did the best with this budget, there were always player brought in on inflated fees, that never went on to justify those figures.

His actions while in charge of the club sours his time in charge, and for me personally i'll never look at his time here with a fondness, and for many reasons i prefer DJ spell here over his.
    We can all think of examples of players brought in on inflated fees that never went on to justify those figures after we got promoted, but I'm struggling to think of many who'd qualify for that description that Mackay bought while in the Championship.

We can all think of examples of players brought in on inflated fees that never went on to justify those figures after we got promoted, but I'm struggling to think of many who'd qualify for that description that Mackay bought while in the Championship.
    Nicky Maynard was a massive fee at the time.

Malky was a great manager, to some he was a hero, talked very very well in press interviews etc. His personality was fantastic, the fans loved him, he was making a name for himself in football.

And then he blew it all and let thousands of fans down ( not all of them as the sun still shines out if his Arse for some)

Malky blew it, managers are supposed to lead by example.
    Last edited by tigerbaybluebird; 22-08-16 at 09:34.

You know nothing. You've heard something that you've chosen to believe.

Nicky Maynard was a massive fee at the time.
    Who got very badly injured in his third match for us - I agree that there was an element of risk in the signing because Maynard had been out with a long term injury before, but he'd come back well from that and I don't see it's fair to blame Mackay for him getting an injury, which he never appears to have fully recovered from, very early in his Cardiff career.

Who got very badly injured in his third match for us - I agree that there was an element of risk in the signing because Maynard had been out with a long term injury before, but he'd come back well from that and I don't see it's fair to blame Mackay for him getting an injury, which he never appears to have fully recovered from, very early in his Cardiff career.
    I accept that there is an air of irrationality about my feeling of MM time in charge, and even during this thread i cannot argue down the points that people make saying about his achievements. I would imagine that if we detailed all his signings there would be a case to be made that more were good than bad.

However my feelings of the time is that he did not make the most of the money made available to him when you take into account both the transfer fees paid and the level of our wage bill.

There are many factors involved, which includes the football we played, the saga with the shirts, my time of life, and the actions of MM off the football pitch, which means that i'll never look back at that time fondly or remember the manager as a great one for our club

This subject has been debated on here hundreds of times, maybe even thousands, and it always comes down to a matter of opinion - here are some facts, not accusations of financial wrong doing that we're still waiting to see any proof of in the public domain, just facts.

Malky Mackay had two seasons with us in the Championship, he got us to the Play Offs in one of them (and came closer than any other City manager has done sine 1927 to winning us a major Cup Final) and then won the title in domestic football's second tier (something no other City manager has done) in his second.

At the time of his sacking in our only top flight season since 1962, we were fifteenth out of twenty with seventeen points from eighteen matches played - we managed thirteen from the remaining twenty games that season. If we had continued to pick up points over the last twenty matches at the same rate as we had done in the first eighteen, we'd have ended up with thirty six points. West Brom finished in seventeenth position (i.e, just safe from the drop) with thirty six points and a much better goal difference than us, so it's likely we would have gone down if Mackay had stayed and continued to pick up points at the rate he did in those first eighteen matches.

However, it's a matter of fact that in the nine home games we played that season with Mackay in charge, seven of them had been against sides that finished in the top ten that season - the only two matches played against bottom half teams (Swansea and West Brom) had finished in 1-0 City wins. We had ten home matches left when Mackay was shown the door and seven of them were against the sort of teams we had been beating up until then - granted, two matches is not much of a precedent to base firm conclusions on, but there is evidence there to strongly suggest that we would have done a lot better had Mackay stayed than we did under Ole and David Kerslake.

Yes, we're back into opinion territory there I know, but it's a matter of fact that we never ended up dropping points after being two goals up in a home match, like we did against Sunderland in the first match after the sacking, under Malky Mackay - again, only an opinion, but mine has always been that we would have won that match, which proved so influential that season, had Mackay still been in charge.
    Your point is well made about Malky Mackay, I remember the first few games and the football commentators stressing how well the defense and the midfield was set up zonally , making it very difficult to break us down . In addition to this Marshall was receiving massive plaudits, all of which suggests a rather negative defensive approach to many of our games , he spent very big on a defender and a defensive midfielder, all of whcih was to prop up a very defense system , we had no real punch going forward "" gosh this sounds so familiar ""

In addition he let players go out loan who should have been kept as squad members to keep the promotion unity intact. I always wondered how far Ralls would have progressed in that league ,if given some game time , Hudson, Rudi , Super Kev, could all done a job, not as regulars, but squad players .

I also clearly remember fans in the championship/premiership bemoaning his lack of risk taking going forward , using Cowie, etc , as a safe pair of hands, but hey he did get us up " with financial support " He took an age to pick Noone and Mutch ?

In my opinion, he and the club were found badly wanting in the big league , they were simply not ready for that step , backroom staff ,good scouts and experience were needed , even perhaps DOF .

We find our later he had a smack of arrogance and poor behavior about him which I feel as let all the "wonderful fans" as he calls them, down , we know all about the lavish money committed to a very poor signing of a danish unknown ,and other wasted investments.

I think his defensive /zonal set up in the Premiership needed bolstering with pacy midfield and goal poachers ( jeepers its groundhog day )
    Last edited by life on mars; 22-08-16 at 12:14.

I'm giving the occasional opinion yes, but I'm trying to stick to facts and am baffled by what the word "Hindsight" in your message signifies - all you have done is post opinions and make accusations which have been investigated and had no action taken on them.
    Your dealing in some facts with a lot of opinion. Just because we beat Swansea and West Brom in very scrappy low quality football matches, which quite frankly could have gone either way, it's not an indication we would have won all of our home games against the other lower half of the table sides.

However like I said it's been debated a thousand times or more and no ones going to change their opinion now so it's as pointless a debate as the rebrand.

For that reason I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    He's trying his hardest to get in somewhere fair play to him.....But i still have the feeling that the football world know something we don't.
    He was out in Dubai and Doha earlier in the year and was reputedly putting his CV around the local teams and also if rumors are to believed Andy Gray was trying to open some doors for him in respect of joining the BeIN Sports network

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    If he was a SH1T manager how come he got us promoted ? and how come the other SH1T managers we've had haven't got us promoted to Premier League ? - that should keep you busy for a while.......

He made mistakes - dont we all ?
    He was seemingly complacent and obviously thought because Tan was a long way away they had cart blanche to do what ever he and Moody wanted - as long as they got results I dont think anyone minded.

Cornelius was his downfall, and when Tan repossessed their phones it gave him the ammo he needed.

So complacent / foolish he may have been - show me a manager that hasnt done that, a sh1t manager he wasnt - and his record tells you that.
    His downfall was being more popular than Vincent Tan. Tan merely used the Cornelius fiasco to his advantage.

However my feelings of the time is that he did not make the most of the money made available to him when you take into account both the transfer fees paid and the level of our wage bill.
    Really?

What more could he have done?

Year 1 a cup final on a limited budget plus play offs

Year 2: big budget, champions by 7 points

Year 3: big budget (relatively) and never in relegation places before dismissal.

You can't expect anything more than survival in the first year of the Premier league surely?

People seem blinded by one awful signing and a couple of private texts