+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Testimonials

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Testimonials

Onto the topic itself Whitts is my favourite player in 27 years supporting the club, and it would have been nice for him to have a proper send off but Warnock ballsed that up. Double subbed him in a meaningless game for the team, but probably Whitts last home game, was a bit crass for my liking. Whitts knew it was his last home game, Warnock knew it and all this will he / wont he sign a new reduced contract in the media was just a front but hey worst things happen in the world.

Fast forward nearly 12 months, Whitts is now signed with another club, is currently injured, and we as a club are right in the mix for the play-offs and automatics so have bigger fish to fry this season. Therefore, not the right time to be campaigning for a testimonial, or reminding the club / player that one is on the table.

Re: Testimonials

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Onto the topic itself Whitts is my favourite player in 27 years supporting the club, and it would have been nice for him to have a proper send off but Warnock ballsed that up. Double subbed him in a meaningless game for the team, but probably Whitts last home game, was a bit crass for my liking. Whitts knew it was his last home game, Warnock knew it and all this will he / wont he sign a new reduced contract in the media was just a front but hey worst things happen in the world.

Fast forward nearly 12 months, Whitts is now signed with another club, is currently injured, and we as a club are right in the mix for the play-offs and automatics so have bigger fish to fry this season. Therefore, not the right time to be campaigning for a testimonial, or reminding the club / player that one is on the table.
    Agree with all of that, and Whitts was uncharacteristically showing his annoyance at Warnock's treatment. Maybe Whitts doesn't want a testimonial.

In 2001 Ryan Giggs made a tax free sum of a million quid from his testimonial against Celtic. I have no idea if it went to charity. I'm not singling out Giggs, but the testimonial should be reserved for players who need the cash.

Alternatives to testimonials? Why not have a "Peter Whittingham man of the match' award? Or a player of the season award in his name? Or, more apt, a goal of the season award. He can present it himself.