+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next Season and beyond, my 2p worth...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Next Season and beyond, my 2p worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Warnock has said a few times he'd like to be between the manager and the owners. Would it be the worst thing in the world if he stuck around for a year or two as a DoF type, with another manager at the helm? At least we'd have some stability. I'm not saying it's a great idea or going to happen but it's an option at least. Certainly I wouldn't want to drop a Bellamy etc in with no experience on his own.
    I'm pretty sure that's the plan isn't it? Bellamy to become the next manager with Warnock on the board/Director of Football

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the plan isn't it? Bellamy to become the next manager with Warnock on the board/Director of Football
    I'm not sure how I feel about the prospect of Warnock as a director of football.

Don't get me wrong, the guy certainly has his strengths, but a directors role and a management role are very different things.

I think Warnock's main strength lies in the clarity of vision he has in how he wants to play, and how well that is communicated to the team.
    He keeps it simple and everyone in a Warnock team knows what they are expected to do.

Having a football philosophy is pretty important for a DoF, but a directors role should be transformational not transactional and be thinking about the longer term. I may be doing him a disservice, but I think he may be a little old school to keep up with the latest practices.

The DoF is not there to hand hold an inexperienced manager.

If Warnock was to stay around after his management, i wouldnt want it to be for the purpose of establishing any future vision for the club's playing style but i do think he would be very useful for his experience of the knowledge of the game.

Making sure we're not as naive as a club while drawing up contracts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    If Warnock was to stay around after his management, i wouldnt want it to be for the purpose of establishing any future vision for the club's playing style but i do think he would be very useful for his experience of the knowledge of the game.

Making sure we're not as naive as a club while drawing up contracts etc.
    If we keep him about, he can make sure the club makes the smart decisions off the field, that they seem to be doing with him now. Also, if we had a younger manager, he could oversee the youth etc and take some pressure off the manager. It would probably not be such a good idea if we got in a more experienced manager as it would be a massive personality clash.