+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leeds have all but completed doing a Cardiff

Leeds have all but completed doing a Cardiff

Been up there all season and have snatched failure from a certain play off spot.
    Do we feel sorry for them?
    Do we feel sorry for Monk?
    Are they a big club?

Discuss without using any bad language.

Re: Leeds have all but completed doing a Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Been up there all season and have snatched failure from a certain play off spot.
    Are they a big club?

Bit too early for comfort to offer a reply. Hopefully will though in a weeks time when this is bumped.

Someone could finish 7th on 79 points this season, that has to be a record doesn't it?

Newcastle - 3 wins in the last 9 games
    Huddersfield - - 4 wins in last 10 games
    Leeds - 3 wins in the last 10 games

Three teams who have had a poor run-in to the end of the season with one still almost guaranteed to go up automatically and another possibly through the play-offs. "Doing a Cardiff" was a ridiculous comment when so many teams do exactly the same (at one point not so long ago it seemed that Reading or Wednesday were in the most danger of being caught by Fulham but now it's Leeds and possibly still Huddersfield who fall out) and ridiculous for us to perpetuate it when it was meant to put increased pressure on our club.

Too early to say for sure but another win for Fulham should secure their spot and barring an utter collapse Huddersfield, Wednesday and Reading should all make it

Are they a big club?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Newcastle - 3 wins in the last 9 games
    Huddersfield - - 4 wins in last 10 games
    Leeds - 3 wins in the last 10 games

Three teams who have had a poor run-in to the end of the season with one still almost guaranteed to go up automatically and another possibly through the play-offs. "Doing a Cardiff" was a ridiculous comment when so many teams do exactly the same (at one point not so long ago it seemed that Reading or Wednesday were in the most danger of being caught by Fulham but now it's Leeds and possibly still Huddersfield who fall out) and ridiculous for us to perpetuate it when it was meant to put increased pressure on our club.

I have always said, when it gets close to promotion, certain players DO NOT WANT IT, as it will disturb their cushy lives

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I have always said, when it gets close to promotion, certain players DO NOT WANT IT, as it will disturb their cushy lives
    I think that's utter bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

I can't be arsed, BUT look at the records of teams who have almost made it, BUT failed at the post..

Funny how they are top players all season, then shite for the last 6 or 7.

I admire your opinion, BUT you're wrong.

Nor did I, till I spoke to well known ex player....it happens!!!

The sad thing is that this is very believable, long serving players with families especially.
    One could quite easily imagine wives making good friends, kids settled at a good school and all of a sudden, the reality kicking in that you ain't getting a game playing in the next level up.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The sad thing is that this is very believable, long serving players with families especially.
    One could quite easily imagine wives making good friends, kids settled at a good school and all of a sudden, the reality kicking in that you ain't getting a game playing in the next level up.
    they would still pick up a wage for there familys so why would they care?

I don't think so. Especially if you know you can't cut it. Do you think Chopra preferred playing in the Premier League where he was found out? Or in the Championship where he was adored?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think so. Especially if you know you can't cut it. Do you think Chopra preferred playing in the Premier League where he was found out? Or in the Championship where he was adored?
    premiership. more money to gamble with

Interesting point, and there's not going to be a straight yes or no answer for everyone.

But consider a 30 year old player, he wants his contract renewed but is pretty sure he's replacable if the club goes up. If the money isn't there to replace him, then he's probably going to be ok to stay. How motivated is he going to be during the run in? It doesn't mean he wouldn't really love to play in the Premier League but life isn't full of easy choices. If it comes down to three or four more seasons with the club in the Championship vs possibly having to find a new one at the age of 31 when he's released as not needed in the Premier League (and as an existing player, he's not suddenly going to be given a 80k a week deal), then the devil you know is probably tempting.

And if a club has three or four such players in their first team...

Great debate boys, which shows it aint UTTER BOLLOCKS

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Put it this way, half that Leeds team would be shipped out if they went up, so quite a few players might be more than happy to trudge along quite well in the championship picking up 50k a month or so.....

Big club

A very interesting debate.

If it's true, then it highlights how far football has moved on from what we remember 20 to 30 years.

It appears as though players and managers are just commodities to buy and sell as and when required by the club.
    Conversely, it appears as though the club itself is just a commodity for those players and managers who just want to put themselves in the shop window for a bigger, more lucrative deal.
    Because of the above, we then see players deliberately under performing to avoid relegation to maintain their lifestyle and stability within their lives.

Too much money is the common denominator in these situations.

The fallout results in a number of clubs going under, a number struggling financially, others abusing FFP, loyal players being shipped out or abusing the fans by deliberately under performing.

We see young players, under 20, demotivated to actually play on loan because their wages are so high. Tammy Abraham being an obvious exception. On the other hand, the vast majority of youngsters never get a chance because managers are only interested in the here and now, so they buy 'foreign' from countries where they don't have this messed up system.

As a result the national sides will continue to suffer.

The main loses in this 'game' are the fans.

Fans are paying for over priced tickets for overpaid players whose - for the majority of them - only priority is to look after themselves. As a result there appears to be little 'team' ethic when it comes to this time of year for certain teams.

Fans overpay for their tickets and are short changed by the players and managers they support.

British football needs to look at and adopt the best practices of other European leagues.

Something has to change.
    Last edited by JDerrida; 24-04-17 at 13:42.

The money and the influx of foreign talent that has come with it has led to a far greater disparity in talent between the top two tiers in British football. It's got the point where some of the best players in the Championship just can't compete at the top level. When you think that we had players like Declan John, Don Cowie, and Ben Turner up against the like of Suarez, Aguero, Silva, Ozil, Willian, Hazard etc it's almost laughable.

I should imagine that many of the players in teams like Leeds, Huddersfield, Reading etc will be shitting themselves at the prospect of the Premier League. Especially if there is money to spend.

First Team

Are they a big club?

Do I feel sorry for them, not a jot. I am afraid they don't even register on my radar unless we are playing them.
    Sorry for Monk. See above but factor in that he knew what he was getting into, is presumably on a fair old wage and knows that grief and then the sack is in the job description.
    Are they a big club? Without a doubt that's why we and so many others discuss them time and time again.