Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I think it needs to be remembered that Vincent Tan converted nearly £70 million of club debt into equity once our promotion had been confirmed.

I agree with others who say that the level of spending seen in the summer was not enough, but that doesn't mean that I think we should have spent at Wolves and Fulham levels - Burnley and Huddersfield have spent in the region of £35 million in the past and survived and, with us getting bigger crowds than either of them and gaining considerably more points than Huddersfield did when going up, you would think that we could have done the same on a similar budget.

If Neil Warnock did have more money available to spend , but decided it wasn't needed, then, perhaps, he is closer to the sack than most of us believe. However, I strongly suspect that this was not the case and so he has been given much less room for manoeuvre financially than either Sean Dyche or David Wagner.

Vincent Tan has, in all likelihood, given our manager a really tough task therefore, but, as someone who has been very critical of our owner in the past, I cannot be this time because of that debt to equity conversion and also because I can understand any desire on his part not to see a repeat of what happened in 2013 in terms of our spending after promotion. What all of this means though is that relegation looks likely - if Vincent Tan is happy with that, then fair enough, but if he is expecting to stay up on the level of spending he has allowed, then he, has, most likely, overestimated the qualities of the playing squad and management/coaching staff.
Who could we have got for an extra £9m that would make a difference (and want to come here) though.