Scott Johnson tweeted the following:

I seem to have watched a different game to everyone else today. I watched the one where the side that were in the Premier League until recently toiled to beat a side who just came up from League One. There were positives and a win’s a win, but it was pretty awful stuff really

I think some people overreacted to such an extent on Thursday that maybe they’re overcompensating a bit today. Two years ago, Cardiff were walloping Villa. That’s the level they need to aspire to and that looks a long way off. We all know what a promotion contender looks like.
Two years ago we're playing Villa off the park with a strong defence, controlling the space in the middle and then pace and power up front and now we're seemingly trying to emulate a Tony Pulis' Middlesbrough side that failed to get promotion despite millions being spent on it. I appreciate that Villa at home, or perhaps Wolves away, was the peak performance two years ago but at least try and play like that then dig out results when weather is bad or injuries pick up, don't start the season playing like the Championship is just one long slog.

Another complaint with greater reflection: you'll read in the debutants thread that Whyte had "teething problems" or that he has "lots to learn at this level" but he's in front of Peltier and next to Pack/Ralls and none seem to be trying to make him look good. It seems very much sink or swim and given that Warnock made so much of their being "leaders" in the side that's not good enough.

Hopefully the flaws in yesterday's performance were because so many new players were being played together. The Championship is a long, long season and plenty of time for things to start clicking.