+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The fake epidemic of fake news

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The fake epidemic of fake news

I cancelled my Times subscription yesterday.

The sarcastic dweeb on the other end of the phone who wouldn't take no for an answer said that in the era of fake news, it is "always important to get some high quality reporting".

They have blatantly trained these customer service people to bring up certain things so as to keep you interested. It used to take 2 minutes cancel. Then they went through a revamp of their website etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

The sarcastic dweeb on the other end of the phone who wouldn't take no for an answer said that in the era of fake news, it is "always important to get some high quality reporting".

They have blatantly trained these customer service people to bring up certain things so as to keep you interested. It used to take 2 minutes cancel. Then they went through a revamp of their website etc.
    You should have told him the reason why you were cancelling was to avoid fake news

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You should have told him the reason why you were cancelling was to avoid fake news
    I did say that that is the problem and the times isn't know for real news.

But I should have said more.

He was the most annoying customer service worker I have ever experienced.

I said this conversation has been going on for 9 minutes and I really just need it cancelled. He said no, it has been going on for 7 minutes and 43 seconds.

Even though I was staring at 9 minutes on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

I don't know why you wasted money on that. It is rubbish compared with how it was 25 years ago. Instead of intellectual heavyweights like Brian Walden and Bernard Levin you now have lightweights filling up the columns with mundane comments about shopping or about what they had to eat last week. The only people worth reading are Matthew Parris and Melanie Phillips.

If you want to keep up with current events then just ask your questions on this forum and look at the replies by the more intelligent posters and their answers will tell you what's really happening. If you don't know who the intelligent posters are then just look at the avatar. If the avatar suggests virtue signalling – e.g. a picture of Paul Robeson – then the poster will be a foolish windbag. Ostriches, babies and Gareth Bale are all good avatars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    I don't know why you wasted money on that. It is rubbish compared with how it was 25 years ago. Instead of intellectual heavyweights like Brian Walden and Bernard Levin you now have lightweights filling up the columns with mundane comments about shopping or about what they had to eat last week. The only people worth reading are Matthew Parris and Melanie Phillips.

If you want to keep up with current events then just ask your questions on this forum and look at the replies by the more intelligent posters and their answers will tell you what's really happening. If you don't know who the intelligent posters are then just look at the avatar. If the avatar suggests virtue signalling – e.g. a picture of Paul Robeson – then the poster will be a foolish windbag. Ostriches, babies and Gareth Bale are all good avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post

That's brilliant - thanks for that. Thank goodness this board has self-appointed comic geniuses such as yourself and your aliases.