+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone else's Dad hard work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Anyone else's Dad hard work

I used to despair of my late mother's insistence when watching tv cookery programmes, " How could you eat anything made by those big black hands?" Poor Ainsley Harriott. Yet she was proper old Cardiff, born & brought up in Newtown, lived in the Docks, Splott etc so was no stranger to various colours & creeds. Definitely a generational thing. What about the old Cardiff boxer, Darkie Hughes? It was generally accepted that it was fine to refer to him as that, I think his family did as well.

Re: Anyone else's Dad hard work

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I used to despair of my late mother's insistence when watching tv cookery programmes, " How could you eat anything made by those big black hands?" Poor Ainsley Harriott. Yet she was proper old Cardiff, born & brought up in Newtown, lived in the Docks, Splott etc so was no stranger to various colours & creeds. Definitely a generational thing. What about the old Cardiff boxer, Darkie Hughes? It was generally accepted that it was fine to refer to him as that, I think his family did as well.
    My grandmother genuinely believed that a young white woman she knew became what she would describe as 'half-caste' after being impregnated by a black chap. I kid you not.
    And when she spoke of 'black hands' of the carers who attended to I told that if she was blind she wouldn't even know about their skin colour. It made no impression though as she was very dim.