+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A question about improving support

Re: A question about improving support

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You reckon clubs around the UK are laughing at our stadium? Really? What have you been smoking today?
    God only knows, it’s fine to have some empty seats. When I first started going in 87 we were lucky to get 3/4000 and had 40,000 capacity so a lot more space then and zero chance go ever fill it

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    God only knows, it’s fine to have some empty seats. When I first started going in 87 we were lucky to get 3/4000 and had 40,000 capacity so a lot more space then and zero chance go ever fill it
    One of Sludge's favourite hobbies is to put down our support at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    One of Sludge's favourite hobbies is to put down our support at every opportunity.
    What did you do to try and get people from different backgrounds involved with Cardiff City when the stadium was first built ?

I don't remember seeing you at any of the social events

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There's a thread about Stoke City on here , who have offered free away travel to their fans for it appears 10 seasons ?

Well if Corky wants to bring that up at a meeting with the club I am sure that will help
    Given the dross served up in the last three seasons at Cardiff City Stadium, 19,500 is pretty good I’d say.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given the dross served up in the last three seasons at Cardiff City Stadium, 19,500 is pretty good I’d say.
    Nothing short of a miracle…..

This.

I bet Sludge was worrying all night about what the Aldershot fans thought of City, its fans, vast empty spaces of terracing.

He's just odd is Sludge.

If the Welsh Government really gave a **** about climate change they'd do more with train services and partner with events like this.

It's cheaper and more convienient for people to sit in traffic and park than to get a train next to the stadium.

On a seperate point, the games are too late for kids on a weekday. Kids getting in at 11pm is not practical when they have school the next day.

KOs should be 7/7.15 but that will never change

People are not going to turn up to watch Cardiff City because the hot dogs are cheap
    No but it may entice them to keep returning.

Anything that makes the matchday experience better is surely a good thing and leaving a sour taste in their mouth from getting ripped off doesn't exactly help

We have been in the top flight for 2 seasons since its formation in 1993

If we were a club with a history of big support a 33 k capacity stadium would have made sense

It's a white elephant as it is

28 k would have been fine and generated a good atmosphere with 20 k crowds in it
    Sludge you talk some garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    This.

I bet Sludge was worrying all night about what the Aldershot fans thought of City, its fans, vast empty spaces of terracing.

He's just odd is Sludge.
    Yea thing is we can get 28,000 playing terribly in the championship v the jacks, every game if we went up would have more interest than that so all of a sudden no one can get tickets like the first time we went up. I’m glad we have that extra space if ever needed. Even Man City have empty seats, richest club in the world who win everything and have always had solid support…..

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Sludge you talk some garbage
    Stick to hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I remember Accrington giving a shirt to all kids of a certain age to encourage support, possibly a match ticket as well? Could the club do something similar? A fair chunk of football support comes from a family member/friend dragging someone along, proactively targeting fans could maybe help (especially in a city like Cardiff)

There's also a large student population, could we offer tickets through the students union for instance? Cardiff Uni alone has about 30,000 students. From memory a fair bit of Cardiff Uni's marketing is about how special Cardiff/Wales is, could tie in with that
    I think there's definitely mileage in the student angle. Offer cheap tickets, run a bus from the student halls to home games.
    Have a couple of attractive young club ambassadors signing people up during freshers week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think there's definitely mileage in the student angle. Offer cheap tickets, run a bus from the student halls to home games.
    Have a couple of attractive young club ambassadors signing people up during freshers week.
    I am happy to fulfill that role ?

I am happy to fulfill that role ?
    driving a bus?

Yea thing is we can get 28,000 playing terribly in the championship v the jacks, every game if we went up would have more interest than that so all of a sudden no one can get tickets like the first time we went up. I’m glad we have that extra space if ever needed. Even Man City have empty seats, richest club in the world who win everything and have always had solid support…..
    Don’t know any genuine Cardiff fans that have ever missed out for a home game. Tickets aren’t ever golddust as the demand isn’t there in a 33k stadium

Sludge is correct in everything he’s saying ! Years of playing in a half empty stadium is not worth it to get a few extra thousand in when the big six come to town !

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    driving a bus?
    Selling season tickets to students

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    This.

He's just odd is Sludge.
    Some would say he's a glass half empty kinda guy, others would just say hes a miserable old kent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    Don’t know any genuine Cardiff fans that have ever missed out for a home game. Tickets aren’t ever golddust as the demand isn’t there in a 33k stadium

Sludge is correct in everything he’s saying ! Years of playing in a half empty stadium is not worth it to get a few extra thousand in when the big six come to town !
    Bollocks, even with another shocker in the sunshine league under Warnock we had over 31000 average, so that’s 4000 more every game who couldn’t have got in first time around. Lo and behold we actually stayed there for a few years and did ok like swansea did….

You do realise there's as many if not more Cardiff fans outside Cardiff as in Cardiff

Sometimes life gets in the way, and any obsticle the club puts in the way just makes it easier not to go, regardless of how "genuine" they are.

You do realise there's as many if not more Cardiff fans outside Cardiff as in Cardiff

Sometimes life gets in the way, and any obsticle the club puts in the way just makes it easier not to go, regardless of how "genuine" they are.
    Of course life gets in the way , hence our average attendance !

I live outside Cardiff now and it's not easy to get to games - but I stand by the fact the ground is too big for us , selling out against the big boys doesn't change my mind on that !

Wales will get 70,000 in for the opening Euro 2028 game at the Millennium if we qualify, doesn't mean we should play there in future !

I live outside Cardiff now and it's not easy to get to games - but I stand by the fact the ground is too big for us , selling out against the big boys doesn't change my mind on that !

Wales will get 70,000 in for the opening Euro 2028 game at the Millennium if we qualify, doesn't mean we should play there in future !
    If we didn't have such a big stadium, Wales would still be playing at the Millenium Stadium more than likely.

Bollocks, even with another shocker in the sunshine league under Warnock we had over 31000 average, so that’s 4000 more every game who couldn’t have got in first time around. Lo and behold we actually stayed there for a few years and did ok like swansea did….
    So we get promoted

For a season

Then we go down

But we filled the stadium for a season so that justifies us having a stadium for the rest of the time that's two thirds full ?

If we didn't have such a big stadium, Wales would still be playing at the Millenium Stadium more than likely.
    I couldn't give a toss

We are not getting the gates we should be .....23k, 24 k , given our league position because we are not as big a club as people think we are

Which was why expanding a stadium already more than big enough for us was a mistake

Kids for a quid , cheaper booze and food , night game buses have all been tried before and definitely help but the novelty soon wears off

If Cardiff City were playing Man United etc then the support would quickly increase and the excuses for not coming to the games would vanish

It would be please dad can you get me a ticket for Tuesday night not my son doesn't want to come because the burgers are crap

The south west isn't a football hotbed. City, Swansea, Newport, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Plymouth - even Reading, all have what could be called 'fickle' support. Of these City have proven that 30k+ crowds are possible, which probably only Bristol City would come close to.

A couple of wins from a team of free signings and loanees isn't going to pack the stadium out, just as 3 seasons of dross hasn't eroded the support by much. Those supporters who currently don't attend view City's supposed 'progress' from a more objective viewpoint.