+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Family Tree / DNA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Family Tree / DNA

Greetings CCMBers, I come to you via West Wales, Mid Wales, South Wales, the Valleys, the Marches and the Herefordshire border (by all of 100 yards).

However, my Cardiff connections actually stem from County Durham, where I can trace my roots back to 1750, as a family of blacksmiths, miners and steel workers. My great grandfather moved from County Durham to Splott in around 1891 to work at the newly opened steel works,

Re: Family Tree / DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Greetings CCMBers, I come to you via West Wales, Mid Wales, South Wales, the Valleys, the Marches and the Herefordshire border (by all of 100 yards).

However, my Cardiff connections actually stem from County Durham, where I can trace my roots back to 1750, as a family of blacksmiths, miners and steel workers. My great grandfather moved from County Durham to Splott in around 1891 to work at the newly opened steel works,
    A large percentage of Valley people are descendants of folk who came from all over the country to be part of the "coal Klondyke". My paternal great, great grandfather was an agricultural labourer from Wiltshire who came to Mountain Ash in the 1840's looking for work. Despite the dangers the mines offered steady employment whereas "Ag Labs" were often laid off over the winter months. My other great grandfather (on my grandmother's side of the family) was a copper miner from Devon, so he must have taken to coal mining quite easily.