+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The "Stupid Obsession" with playing out from the back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The "Stupid Obsession" with playing out from the back

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I saw it and it was class, I agree I love watching teams play like that but if everyone played like that would it be as interesting? I always enjoyed the way Man United played at the height of their success and that was hardly passing out from the back. Dave Jones played probably the most entertaining football City have played and every single goal kick went long.
    One thing for sure is that the game would be a lot more boring if every side played like us or a Sam Allardyce team. That said, I couldn't believe what I was seeing at times from Arsenal on Sunday and I agree with Allardyce there, but there are times when playing out from the back will drag a side that is sitting back, playing a counter attacking game out of position and that may lead to spaces in areas where there wouldn't be any of the ball was just being knocked forward bypassing the midfield.
    The thing that worries me above all else for this season is that, unless Arter and Camarasa bring about an improvement in our passing, we are going to be forced into playing our counter attacking game against teams that will not be too interested in leaving space in behind them because they will have a lead to defend. If and when that happens, I'm not sure we'll have the technical ability to try something different if our Plan A isn't working.

Re: The "Stupid Obsession" with playing out from the back

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One thing for sure is that the game would be a lot more boring if every side played like us or a Sam Allardyce team. That said, I couldn't believe what I was seeing at times from Arsenal on Sunday and I agree with Allardyce there, but there are times when playing out from the back will drag a side that is sitting back, playing a counter attacking game out of position and that may lead to spaces in areas where there wouldn't be any of the ball was just being knocked forward bypassing the midfield.
    The thing that worries me above all else for this season is that, unless Arter and Camarasa bring about an improvement in our passing, we are going to be forced into playing our counter attacking game against teams that will not be too interested in leaving space in behind them because they will have a lead to defend. If and when that happens, I'm not sure we'll have the technical ability to try something different if our Plan A isn't working.
    I think we just aren't good enough tbh, Warnock worked wonders getting us up when we had no right to but I wonder if it came "too soon" and if we have the money and systems in place to improve enough.

I agree if every team played long hoof ball it'd be shit.