+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City a big club?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff City a big club?

How do you define a big club? I always look at Newcastle and West Ham as they define themselves as big clubs but apart from fan base, what qualifies them? Regularly yo-yo with relegation and haven't won anything of note in God knows how long.

You'r probably looking at a whole host of things. Those two probably qualify as they have large fan bases. Leeds probably qualify due to their history. I do think that Cardiff are a big club and it's for these reasons:

- The only team to take the FA Cup out of England
    - A capital city team
    - A stadium that hosts international football
    - A team that made an FA Cup Final and Carling Cup final from a lower division
    - Hated by most of the English football league system and establishment

It doesn't matter what division we're in or what division we belong in.

Quote Originally Posted by Glynazard View Post
    How do you define a big club? I always look at Newcastle and West Ham as they define themselves as big clubs but apart from fan base, what qualifies them? Regularly yo-yo with relegation and haven't won anything of note in God knows how long.

You'r probably looking at a whole host of things. Those two probably qualify as they have large fan bases. Leeds probably qualify due to their history. I do think that Cardiff are a big club and it's for these reasons:

- A capital city team

That's a rather odd reason to put forward as a case for us being big?

Quote Originally Posted by Glynazard View Post

- A capital city team

Millwall can tick 3 of those boxes.
    Capital city team
    FA Cup Finalists while lower league club
    Hated by most of the English football league system and establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Capital city team
    Not a good example, capital city with what 10 other clubs? Hardly a comparison, and one of the smallest clubs there too.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not a good example, capital city with what 10 other clubs? Hardly a comparison, and one of the smallest clubs there too.
    I think that was what Harry Monk was pointing out, that the criteria the poster Glynazard was using wasn't really a very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think that was what Harry Monk was pointing out, that the criteria the poster Glynazard was using wasn't really a very good one.
    I dunno, was just my take on it. I think being the Welsh capital is a point to be made for us being a big club even if the others aren't.

I made the 'hated by everyone else' point because if no-one talked about us then we'd probably be a bit insignificant? The fact that most of the establishment and a whole host of other teams hate us and pretty much talk about us all of the time is a good indicator of our standing. At least, that's what it feels like to me :)

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    To be fair, there are only 2 capital cities playing in the English League.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Capital city team
    Capital City?? Naw mate. Arsk any real Londoner. They aint Capital. Sarf of the river? That aint London. You go sarf of the river you gets a nose-bleed. (Borough market accepted )