+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police State....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Police State....

It's not only in the Daily Mail.......and neither is the fact that "being developed is a Coronavirus tracking app using personal data for mass surveillance of Britons is branded 'Orwellian and a complex issue"

The issue is that once these powers are in place they are never rescinded.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    It's not only in the Daily Mail.......and neither is the fact that "being developed is a Coronavirus tracking app using personal data for mass surveillance of Britons is branded 'Orwellian and a complex issue"

The issue is that once these powers are in place they are never rescinded.
    1) You don't have to use the app

2) your phone is already a tracking device that, again, you don't have to use

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Yes I know that, and I am one of the (probably) few people who do not own/use a mobile phone. But come on, most people live with their phones (and it can track even if switched off)......it's the PRINCIPLE that is wrong.

Yes I know that, and I am one of the (probably) few people who do not own/use a mobile phone. But come on, most people live with their phones (and it can track even if switched off)......it's the PRINCIPLE that is wrong.
    What is the principle? The whole point of the app is that it knows where you and other people have been. If you don't accept that then don't use the app.

I can't see how this is a matter of principle when that is 100% of why the app has been created.

It amazes me how the 'conspiracists' amongst us seem so heavily reliant on Technology, The internet seems to be their bible where they queue up in order to tell everyone that the state is spying on us all and using our detail in order to constrict our daily lifestyle choices. It's a bit like a pheasant holding up a card saying 'shoot me' during the hunting season. If they really believed that the people who are attempting to restrict them are doing so behind closed doors, then wouldn't they also be conspiring against this perceived enemy behind closed doors?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It amazes me how the 'conspiracists' amongst us seem so heavily reliant on Technology, The internet seems to be their bible where they queue up in order to tell everyone that the state is spying on us all and using our detail in order to constrict our daily lifestyle choices. It's a bit like a pheasant holding up a card saying 'shoot me' during the hunting season. If they really believed that the people who are attempting to restrict them are doing so behind closed doors, then wouldn't they also be conspiring against this perceived enemy behind closed doors?
    They will say they use a VPN but even they don't hide your location really. Unless someone is using TOR for everything they do on the internet they are easy to track anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Because someone questions the veracity of what the State tells us it doesn't mean they're conspiracists - I, and others, just don't swallow every morsel of what we're told and accept it without question. Messageboards have been rife with the indignant amongst us ranting at people going out for quiet walks. Today I was Llandaff Fields. Apart from the fact that I saw 3 pairs of coppers on foot which is a rarity itself, they stopped an elderly couple parking their car so they could have a walk and told them to leave. This couple probably lived in a cramped house or flat with no garden. Their actions wouldn't have harmed anyone -even themselves, yet what they did was wrong. Why ? Because the Government told us it was..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Because someone questions the veracity of what the State tells us it doesn't mean they're conspiracists - I, and others, just don't swallow every morsel of what we're told and accept it without question. Messageboards have been rife with the indignant amongst us ranting at people going out for quiet walks. Today I was Llandaff Fields. Apart from the fact that I saw 3 pairs of coppers on foot which is a rarity itself, they stopped an elderly couple parking their car so they could have a walk and told them to leave. This couple probably lived in a cramped house or flat with no garden. Their actions wouldn't have harmed anyone -even themselves, yet what they did was wrong. Why ? Because the Government told us it was..
    "Their actions wouldn't have harmed anyone -even themselves, yet what they did was wrong. Why ?"

At this rate, we'll be well into April before the penny drops with Monkfish (if it ever does).

Banned

"Their actions wouldn't have harmed anyone -even themselves, yet what they did was wrong. Why ?"

At this rate, we'll be well into April before the penny drops with Monkfish (if it ever does).
    Imperial college saying that Social Distancing and other measures have saved at least 21000 lives so far, possibly many more.

But, what do they know? Monkfish is clever, he doesn't believe anything until he sees hard physical evidence. The penny has dropped for him, he's waiting for billions of people worldwide to catch up with him.

Absolutely......no discretion or common sense...

Absolutely......no discretion or common sense...
    The virus also has no discretion. If one of those elderly catches it, they will almost certainly need hospital attention. That is now very hard to get, so they are far more likely to die. If that happens, the hospital will not let anyone visit them so they will die alone without their family ever having the chance to say goodbye. No doubt some would criticise the hospital for lacking common sense and discretion too, but that is what would happen.

That vs a police officer telling them to go home. I think it's justifiable.

Never been a reader of fan of the Guardian....but many of the articles there make sense to me at the moment...

Depends where they had travelled from. If they had travelled from say Bridgend or Swansea then police view is correct - exercise is one thing, long distance travel risks spreading the virus further. It's common sense.

International

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Depends where they had travelled from. If they had travelled from say Bridgend or Swansea then police view is correct - exercise is one thing, long distance travel risks spreading the virus further. It's common sense.
    It only spreads the virus further if A. you have it when you set off, and/or B you meet someone at the end of your journey that you give it to or who gives it to you to take back home, shirley?
    If I drive to Caerphilly mountain with my wife go and take the air then drive home again there is no reason why I should come into close contact with anyone.

All that said I do agree that people driving from Yorkshire to the peak district is clearly OTT

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If I drive to Caerphilly mountain with my wife go and take the air then drive home again there is no reason why I should come into close contact with anyone.
    What if your car breaks down? Or you have an accident?

It only spreads the virus further if A. you have it when you set off, and/or B you meet someone at the end of your journey that you give it to or who gives it to you to take back home, shirley?
    And if you bump into people? Need to fill up the car with petrol? Have an accident? Have you had a test recently? Has everyone you meet had a test?

@xsnaggle......you mean you drive from Azerbaijan to Caerphilly????!!!

All that said I do agree that people driving from Yorkshire to the peak district is clearly OTT
    One third of Sheffield (South Yorkshire) is in the Peak District. Large parts of West Yorkshire are in the Peak District.

I agree with your point, though. Some idiot from Sheffield was given the vigilante treatment by locals when he (and I think some friends in other cars) decided a few days ago to go on a road trip to Bala! Their daily exercise I assume!

Today I was Llandaff Fields. Apart from the fact that I saw 3 pairs of coppers on foot which is a rarity itself, they stopped an elderly couple parking their car so they could have a walk and told them to leave.
    Do you think everyone should be allowed to drive to Llandaff Fields, park up and go for a stroll? Or should that privilege be reserved for daft old twats who can't follow basic instructions and who believe that for some reason the rules don't apply to them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Do you think everyone should be allowed to drive to Llandaff Fields, park up and go for a stroll? Or should that privilege be reserved for daft old twats who can't follow basic instructions and who believe that for some reason the rules don't apply to them?
    I would taser them on the spot , only if they get out of the car though .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would taser them on the spot , only if they get out of the car though .
    Bet they'd take shortcuts too. Coronavirus too good for them...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    They looked quite old and frail - probably thought a walk in the sunshine in the open air would lift their spirits. Thank God they didn't bump into you..

They looked quite old and frail - probably thought a walk in the sunshine in the open air would lift their spirits. Thank God they didn't bump into you..
    I notice you've avoided answering the question.

Thank God they didn't bump into you..
    They bumped into the police, who did the right thing.

Banned

Hopefully they didn't bump into any air-borne viruses either. It stays in the air for 3 hours. Or touch any infected surface (it can stay on certain surfaces for days).