Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
You and your wife will know the details of course, but may I ask if you are sure she was adopted - and not fostered?
Cyclops - yes, definitely adopted. It is a very long story which started with a request to the record office for a full copy of her birth certificate - previously she only had one of those short form type certificates. She was notified by letter that she was adopted and if she wanted to know more she was required to contact the adoption services department. This was so she could receive counseling to ensure she knew what she was getting into. She decided to go ahead and this opened up a totally unexpected scenario. I don't want to go into too much detail but she discovered she had numerous half brothers/sisters all of whom she has now met. Some were adopted and others were fostered and all have had widely different life experiences. Some knew of the existence of others, some no knowledge at all. It transpired for the first 3 years of her life my wife was kept in a children's home as her single mother did not want her (she gave her up for adoption immediately) and then was eventually adopted by the couple who she came to know as Mum and Dad.

No-one in the family ever mentioned that she was adopted, the same went for her "brother". Quite a remarkable story all in all (there is a lot more!) which would make quite a good weepy film/book!