+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jewish group walks away from Labour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Jewish group walks away from Labour

Labour keep on insisting there isn't a problem with antiSemitism in the party these days, but it just won't go away - that has to be a damaging intervention by the Chief Rabbi for them. I suspect this and a position on Brexit by its leader that could be called honourable in some respects, but seems impractical to me in the current political situation is costing them this election.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Labour keep on insisting there isn't a problem with antiSemitism in the party these days, but it just won't go away - that has to be a damaging intervention by the Chief Rabbi for them. I suspect this and a position on Brexit by its leader that could be called honourable in some respects, but seems impractical to me in the current political situation is costing them this election.
    I agree with most of that, although Labour do not insist there is no problem. They do (mostly) insist that they are dealing with it through disciplinary action and education, and that other parties have more of a problem but are not doing anything about it or being held to account.

Both anti-semitism and Brexit will hurt Labour electorally. I expect the impact of Corbyn personally taking a neutral stance on a second Brexit referendum will reduce as we get closer to polling day - the bullet has already been fired and he now has his script sorted out - but there will be a steady stream of anti-semitism attacks getting front page coverage up until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree with most of that, although Labour do not insist there is no problem. They do (mostly) insist that they are dealing with it through disciplinary action and education, and that other parties have more of a problem but are not doing anything about it or being held to account.

Both anti-semitism and Brexit will hurt Labour electorally. I expect the impact of Corbyn personally taking a neutral stance on a second Brexit referendum will reduce as we get closer to polling day - the bullet has already been fired and he now has his script sorted out - but there will be a steady stream of anti-semitism attacks getting front page coverage up until the end.
    Its the right wing media crapping themselves that corbyn is doing well and far better than expected that has provoked this nonsense

Corbyn isn't anti Jew , which is what this stupid pompous rabbi and the Tory times are suggesting , he's anti Zionist and pro Palestinian , like many on the left

The times are shitting themselves that the polls and tightening and this rabbi is more than happy to stir the pot as it suits his agenda of Israel standing alone against the pesky Arabs whilst we steal their land

There are many Jewish anti Zionist labour party members , I tend to listen to them not the right wing press

The conservative party is full of right wing nutters who don't like Jews , let's see the times report on them

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Its the right wing media crapping themselves that corbyn is doing well and far better than expected that has provoked this nonsense

Corbyn isn't anti Jew , which is what this stupid pompous rabbi and the Tory times are suggesting , he's anti Zionist and pro Palestinian , like many on the left

The times are shitting themselves that the polls and tightening and this rabbi is more than happy to stir the pot as it suits his agenda of Israel standing alone against the pesky Arabs whilst we steal their land

There are many Jewish anti Zionist labour party members , I tend to listen to them not the right wing press

The conservative party is full of right wing nutters who don't like Jews , let's see the times report on them
    I've just listened to a previously Labour voting leader of the Jewish community being interviewed on Radio 5 and he said that representatives of that community had a meeting with Jeremy Corbyn on 24 April 2018 which went pretty well, but they have heard nothing from him and his party since despite what he said was a commitment to a further meeting within three months - if that is true, then I find it amazing in the current climate.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've just listened to a previously Labour voting leader of the Jewish community being interviewed on Radio 5 and he said that representatives of that community had a meeting with Jeremy Corbyn on 24 April 2018 which went pretty well, but they have heard nothing from him and his party since despite what he said was a commitment to a further meeting within three months - if that is true, then I find it amazing in the current climate.
    If that is true it is a major mistake by Labour. There needs to be more talking, not less.

I think this fairly recent piece by Peter Hain and Daniel Levy has been linked before, but it is worth a (re)read as an attempt to understand what is going on and suggest a route forward. I don't agree with all of it (some statements don't match my experience) and I doubt there will be the space and goodwill needed to make it happen, but at least it is a thoughtful and comprehensive contribution.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ope...e-way-forward/

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post