+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Family Tree / DNA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Family Tree / DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    A long shot: do you know the place of birth and date of birth of the man? You could then check the birth indexes and see who was born in the place on that day. There would only be a relatively small number of males born that day/place and maybe eliminate them one by one? The man you are tracking will disappear from the records as he takes on his adopted name, whereas the others will go on to adulthood, get married, maybe have children….. a long laborious process. Even then that will only give you his birth-name which may not lead anywhere. I can’t see any other way around it short of writing to the bloke in person (I assume he’s in jail) or are there any other relatives that you know of that you could contact?
    I know the full names and ages of the two brothers and where they would have been born (if not adopted). Neither appear in the Birth Index. But I still have the note I made when Mum was talking about her family (long before the HBOS case) and with no prompt from me, she said the two brothers were adopted. She was 100% right on most things. He was using his adopted name when he married - I have the cert.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I know the full names and ages of the two brothers and where they would have been born (if not adopted). Neither appear in the Birth Index. But I still have the note I made when Mum was talking about her family (long before the HBOS case) and with no prompt from me, she said the two brothers were adopted. She was 100% right on most things. He was using his adopted name when he married - I have the cert.
    Can I ask why you want to pursue this? Is it to do with the medal or just a matter of completing that branch of the family tree?

Blog Entries

Can I ask why you want to pursue this? Is it to do with the medal or just a matter of completing that branch of the family tree?
    If you knew him you wouldn't need to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    If you knew him you wouldn't need to ask
    OK, just curious. I've done a lot of work on my family tree but wouldn't really be interested in spending time on researching 2nd or 3rd cousins unless there was a very specific reason for doing so.

OK, just curious. I've done a lot of work on my family tree but wouldn't really be interested in spending time on researching 2nd or 3rd cousins unless there was a very specific reason for doing so.
    Yes, the further the spread, the less of an interest. I have however spoken to 5th 6th cousins in other parts of the world whilst crossing over our research, and have kept in touch with one in Australia through regular emails and xmas cards.

Blog Entries

I just meant he likes to get to bottom of things and usually does if it's possible

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I just meant he likes to get to bottom of things and usually does if it's possible
    OK, fair enough.