+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    They weren't "sink estates" back then. We had street parties and a sense of community.

Community spirit, left the door open etc. one of my mates robbed our rent money he knew where it was stashed, he's gone now bless him, wasn't popular at the time

Another past time, repairing the motor on the road not sure how old I'm here maybe 19/20 ish
    jacked up chevette with Alloys

IMG_0161.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Community spirit, left the door open etc. one of my mates robbed our rent money he knew where it was stashed, he's gone now bless him, wasn't popular at the time

Another past time, repairing the motor on the road not sure how old I'm here maybe 19/20 ish

IMG_0161.jpg
    Bollocks!! Repairing the motor......You’re hiding from the rent man again

IMG_0161.jpg
    I grew up on a Council Estate 70s 80's. Ely, Pentwyn, Llanedeyrn. Can't remember much about Ely, Pentwyn and Llanedeyrn were shitholes. Especially Pentwyn (Bryn Celyn) I remember hiding from the rent man, robbing the pop wagon, swimming down Rumney river and attempting to climb up on the Gypsy horses. I think back at some of the risks we took. Crazy stuff. Glad of it though, it built character and a way of working things out or 'finding a way' cos everyone was skint

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I grew up on a Council Estate 70s 80's. Ely, Pentwyn, Llanedeyrn. Can't remember much about Ely, Pentwyn and Llanedeyrn were shitholes. Especially Pentwyn (Bryn Celyn) I remember hiding from the rent man, robbing the pop wagon, swimming down Rumney river and attempting to climb up on the Gypsy horses. I think back at some of the risks we took. Crazy stuff. Glad of it though, it built character and a way of working things out or 'finding a way' cos everyone was skint

Our 1st gaff was a couple of rooms in my mums sisters house and i do remember it, the house had a cellar in kincraig street off City Road, my parents got a council house at Curtis road in Ely then, have a decent memory of this place especially the outside shitter I could go across the field to St Francis infants, we went posh then with the house in Rumney, my mum and Dad had a choice of the house in Rumney or a new house in St. Mellons, they took the Rumney house as it was bigger and had a decent garden, they did eventually buy it, it's Rumney I sort of cut my spurs getting to a teenager and all the things you aren't supposed to do!!!, it was weird going to the Illts, you had all us scum Catholics from Rumney, Trowbridge Llanrumney, Splott etc. and the posh kids who paid to go to De La Salle which was in the grounds of St. Illtyds, my Doris grew up in a council home but being in the countryside, was a million miles from our type of estates, they had the hole in the ground just before she was born, her brother and sister remembers it just imagine having to shit in a hole we laugh and lament about these times but I'm glad they are in the past. I personalised our house in Rumney by painting Slade on the front of it

Our 1st gaff was a couple of rooms in my mums sisters house and i do remember it, the house had a cellar in kincraig street off City Road, my parents got a council house at Curtis road in Ely then, have a decent memory of this place especially the outside shitter I could go across the field to St Francis infants, we went posh then with the house in Rumney, my mum and Dad had a choice of the house in Rumney or a new house in St. Mellons, they took the Rumney house as it was bigger and had a decent garden, they did eventually buy it, it's Rumney I sort of cut my spurs getting to a teenager and all the things you aren't supposed to do!!!, it was weird going to the Illts, you had all us scum Catholics from Rumney, Trowbridge Llanrumney, Splott etc. and the posh kids who paid to go to De La Salle which was in the grounds of St. Illtyds, my Doris grew up in a council home but being in the countryside, was a million miles from our type of estates, they had the hole in the ground just before she was born, her brother and sister remembers it just imagine having to shit in a hole we laugh and lament about these times but I'm glad they are in the past. I personalised our house in Rumney by painting Slade on the front of it
    I entered St. Illtyd's in 1968, which I think was the first year the doors were opened to proles like me. I never would have passed the 11-plus. The teachers then still wore the flowing black robes of their profession. They had no idea what was about to hit them.