+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How to be royally f*cked over in just 28 days!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: How to be royally f*cked over in just 28 days!

You don't need the landlords permission to change the locks, just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    You don't need the landlords permission to change the locks, just do it.

I think you'll find you do.

Of course you need permission to change the locks

BUT

if its a Yale type lock, you can easily change the barrel of the lock ( just keep the old one safe, as you could change it back when you move out )
    less than a 10'er and 15 mins work

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    if its a Yale type lock, you can easily change the barrel of the lock ( just keep the old one safe, as you could change it back when you move out ) less than a 10'er and 15 mins work
    Any tips on how to stop a new metal garden shed leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Take it down the tip and put up a nice new wooden one, covered with uPVC.

Take it down the tip and put up a nice new wooden one, covered with PVCu. ( dont listen to Tony, these oldies, never change with the times, i bet he still refuses to use the metric system )

On a serious note, i guess its leaking at one of the roof joints ( or the sides )

slack of the fixings a little, run a bead ( a line ) of sikaflex on each of the joints and then tighten the fixing up

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikaf...ar-300ml/7286d

On a serious note, i guess its leaking at one of the roof joints ( or the sides )
    slack of the fixings a little, run a bead ( a line ) of sikaflex on each of the joints and then tighten the fixing up
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikaf...ar-300ml/7286d
    No, the leaks are at the bottom of the sides. Where the sides join the base there is a gap - you can see daylight there from the inside. Water accumulates on the base rail and either splashes inside thru the gap when it rains or is blown in by the wind (prolly the former). I bought it via Groupon and got me money back in full, but I'd like to see if I can fix it. I've used sealant on both sides of the base rails and I think a bead of sealant all round the shed between the sides and the base will make it waterproof - just waiting for a dry day. If that doesn't work, I'm going to dismantle it and cut me poor hands to ribbons. In truth, this is a far more heart-wrenching saga, ain't it?

No, the leaks are at the bottom of the sides. Where the sides join the base there is a gap - you can see daylight there from the inside. Water accumulates on the base rail and either splashes inside thru the gap when it rains or is blown in by the wind (prolly the former). I bought it via Groupon and got me money back in full, but I'd like to see if I can fix it. I've used sealant on both sides of the base rails and I think a bead of sealant all round the shed between the sides and the base will make it waterproof - just waiting for a dry day. If that doesn't work, I'm going to dismantle it and cut me poor hands to ribbons. In truth, this is a far more heart-wrenching saga, ain't it?
    shouldnt really be a gap, if the gap is too big for sealant, then you might need to go and buy something to act as a cover strip for it, B&Q do 15 - 20 mm strips of aluminium ( which you could stick on with silicone or use some self tappers to screw it on )

as you got your money back, its a win win, you get to keep your money and spend fooking hours arsing about with it and trying to get it right

as you got your money back, its a win win, you get to keep your money and spend fooking hours arsing about with it and trying to get it right
    I'm an obstinate bloke who loves somethin' fer nothing, so that's what I'll do. I think I'll use a few more self tapping screws to fix everything more firmly and squirt some sealant around. Sunday looks dry....

Oh dear. Groupon.

Once and once only I bought something from the total shitfest that is groupon.

Rattan garden furniture for 200 quid. Seemed like a bargain as I'd seen them for twice that everywhere else.

Spent all day arsing about trying to put some badly constructed shit together. Half the holes were in the wrong places, god knows how many screws and rivets were missing, no instructions etc. - eventually I managed to use my moderate diy skills to get a table, 4 chairs and a bench assembled as best I could. Finished the final chair, stood it up and discovered that one leg was about three inches shorter than the rest.

Smashed it to shit, rung the number, had the mother of all rants, they refunded my money and told me I could keep the shitty rattan as a gesture of goodwill. Burnt it on a fire out my back garden - one of the most satisfying experiences of my life.

Moral of the story - don't buy anything from groupon. It's just shit they can't sell anywhere else. Because it's shit.

Take a sledgehammer to the shitty shed. You'll feel so much better for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Oh dear. Groupon.
    Once and once only I bought something from the total shitfest that is groupon.
    Rattan garden furniture for 200 quid. Seemed like a bargain as I'd seen them for twice that everywhere else.
    Spent all day arsing about trying to put some badly constructed shit together. Half the holes were in the wrong places, god knows how many screws and rivets were missing, no instructions etc. - eventually I managed to use my moderate diy skills to get a table, 4 chairs and a bench assembled as best I could. Finished the final chair, stood it up and discovered that one leg was about three inches shorter than the rest.
    You didn't think to call on the technological genius that is Mrs SR in your hour of need...?

I think I see the problem.

Keep it in the house.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Keep it in the house.
    Hope this helps.
    Please don't hijack the thread