+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

I was going to post this a few days ago but didn't. Does anyone actually think that these youngsters will get anywhere near the first team? We see these kind of articles every year and none of them seem to make any impression. Or is it more of WalesOnline posting articles for the sake of it?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-14340162

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I was going to post this a few days ago but didn't. Does anyone actually think that these youngsters will get anywhere near the first team? We see these kind of articles every year and none of them seem to make any impression. Or is it more of WalesOnline posting articles for the sake of it?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-14340162
    Someone e-mailed me that a few days ago with a comment on how poorly researched it was - I agreed with him.

Margetson has played for Under 23s this season, but, generally speaking, has been unable to get a starting place in the Under 18 side most of the time - the same is true to a lesser extent with Wooton. Burwood played for the Under 23s yesterday, as did Spence, and seems to have established himself as first choice for the Under 18s recently, while I can remember seeing Bodenham play very well in his first match for the Under 23s about a year ago.

For me, Spence, who has scored twenty one times I think it is now for the Under 18s this season, is the one with the best chance among those five and he would have been a sub in our final game of last season up at Huddersfield if there had not been a problem with his insurance, but I don't think anyone who watches Under 18 football regularly would come up with those five names if they were asked who were the best young prospects at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Someone e-mailed me that a few days ago with a comment on how poorly researched it was - I agreed with him.

Margetson has played for Under 23s this season, but, generally speaking, has been unable to get a starting place in the Under 18 side most of the time - the same is true to a lesser extent with Wooton. Burwood played for the Under 23s yesterday, as did Spence, and seems to have established himself as first choice for the Under 18s recently, while I can remember seeing Bodenham play very well in his first match for the Under 23s about a year ago.

For me, Spence, who has scored twenty one times I think it is now for the Under 18s this season, is the one with the best chance among those five and he would have been a sub in our final game of last season up at Huddersfield if there had not been a problem with his insurance, but I don't think anyone who watches Under 18 football regularly would come up with those five names if they were asked who were the best young prospects at the club.
    Thanks for the response, and it was exactly as I suspected. I got the same impression that the article wasn't entirely accurate or worthwhile. But I always get intrigued by these kind of articles as I'd love to see more youth development from the club.

I follow your blog posts about the U23s and U18s with keen interest, and often wonder when the next local talent will come along to break in to the first team.