Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Film 17

Richyrich

Re: Film 17

Nest post

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    Seen La La Land 3 times in the past week, an absolutely gorgeous film that takes you on a journey and forget about all the shit going on in the world for two hours...

Saw a film on Netflix last night called "Unbroken" about Olympian Louis Zamperini's struggle for survival after a plane crash into the Pacific in World War 2, 47 days adrift in a raft followed by 2 years in brutal Japanese prisoner of war camps.

Written by the Coen Brothers and directed by Angelina Jolie. After the film I was amazed about how much this guy went through I looked into how true this story was and found that it is pretty much a 100% depiction of his experiences.

Well worth a watch.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Saw a film on Netflix last night called "Unbroken" about Olympian Louis Zamperini's struggle for survival after a plane crash into the Pacific in World War 2, 47 days adrift in a raft followed by 2 years in brutal Japanese prisoner of war camps.

Written by the Coen Brothers and directed by Angelina Jolie. After the film I was amazed about how much this guy went through I looked into how true this story was and found that it is pretty much a 100% depiction of his experiences.

Well worth a watch.

the main man portrays an incredible personal journey

Unbroken is a good film agreed. Just watched Hacksaw Ridge - wow. What a film

Can I just be the first to say that I recently watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe.
    Really good, tight little horror film. just over an hour and twenty in length and for the first 30mins you could be watching CSI or something like that, then the horror starts creeping in.
    no jump scares, just creepy and unsettling.

This is what Stephen King had to say about it, which made me seek it out.

Stephen King ‏@StephenKing Jan 11
    THE AUTOPSY OF JANE DOE: Visceral horror to rival ALIEN and early Cronenberg. Watch it, but not alone.
    I watched it last night. Best film I've seen in ages.

As an alternative to horror, we searched on Kodi for something we could both enjoy and watched Love and Friendship (2016) based on a Jane Austen novelette with the sublime Kate Beckinsale and a stellar cast. It was serenely funny.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 30-01-17 at 20:39.

Blog Entries

We got around to watching 'Arrival' the other night, I thought it was a good idea for a film, it made me think about some things that I hadn't considered before which was good, in the end though I found myself too busy thinking about the agenda rather than watching the film, now I remember why I don't watch many films.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Unbroken is a good film agreed. Just watched Hacksaw Ridge - wow. What a film
    Saw that the other night, really good film, Desmond Doss was a very brave man, I was looking at the true story on history vs hollywood and according to them "While lowering the men down the ridge, the Japanese had a clear shot at Desmond Doss. Though it's not depicted in the movie, one Japanese soldier recalled having Desmond in his sights, but every time he went to fire, his gun jammed."
    How lucky was he?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    We got around to watching 'Arrival' the other night, I thought it was a good idea for a film, it made me think about some things that I hadn't considered before which was good, in the end though I found myself too busy thinking about the agenda rather than watching the film, now I remember why I don't watch many films.
    It was painful wasn't it? Up there with Argo in terms of being so obvious

Hope the director doesn't do this to Blade Runner

Just watched Allied with Brad Pitt, not a classic by any means. A bit slow but a decent way to pass a couple of hours. A solid 7/10

The 33 on Sky Movies.

Really enjoyed it, it's about the Chilean miners with Antonio Banderas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

I haven't seen either of them.

I found Argo very slow and over-rated. Bladerunner was ahead of its time but I haven't seen it since it was released so don't know if it still seems as impressive.

Blue in the Face

Sorry guys I'm a movie nerd and assume folks know geeky stuff. The Arrival Director - Denis Villeneuve - is doing a Blade Runner sequel with Harrison Ford and Ryan Goslng

Blog Entries

Sorry guys I'm a movie nerd and assume folks know geeky stuff. The Arrival Director - Denis Villeneuve - is doing a Blade Runner sequel with Harrison Ford and Ryan Goslng
    Ah I see what you mean now, not sure why I never got around to watching the first one.

Also watched 'The Shallows' , if you like shark films you might like it but it's no Jaws .

Ah I see what you mean now, not sure why I never got around to watching the first one.

Also watched 'The Shallows' , if you like shark films you might like it but it's no Jaws .
    Loved the Shallows, introduced my 12 y/o to Bladerunner last week and it really stands up.

So many different versions though, I think we watched the final cut version as I had seen the others in the cinema.
    Not sure if its the best version though.

Blue in the Face

I'll sink my teeth into that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Loved the Shallows, introduced my 12 y/o to Bladerunner last week and it really stands up.

So many different versions though, I think we watched the final cut version as I had seen the others in the cinema.
    I think I like the final cut the best. It feels way less muddled. Some of the earlier cuts made no sense. Think our Ridley was made to use Kubrick's left over footage from the Shining. Not sure sloppy seconds can work with filmmaking.

I didn't think it was that pointed - it's easy to see how you could come to that conclusion but it could be argued to be quite the opposite. I thought this was a good film overall, really enjoyed it.

Argo was shite mind

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    I didn't think it was that pointed - it's easy to see how you could come to that conclusion but it could be argued to be quite the opposite. I thought this was a good film overall, really enjoyed it.

Argo was shite mind
    Argo was shite I agree, but that's the kind of standard you get when the CIA try and make films I guess .

I'm not saying that The Arrival was bad at all. Actually found it quite interesting. But Mrs R was making the point that it was blatant agitprop which I thought it was too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

It was ok but I've never watched a shark film that beats Jaws, without John Williams doing the soundtrack I doubt I ever will tbh.

Argo was shite I agree, but that's the kind of standard you get when the CIA try and make films I guess .

I'm not saying that The Arrival was bad at all. Actually found it quite interesting. But Mrs R was making the point that it was blatant agitprop which I thought it was too.
    I did too, I've always been interested in how they translate ancient languages and stuff like that so I thought it was a good idea for a film but by the end I was googling 'the tower of babel'

Not a film but we watched the first two episodes of 'Sneaky Pete' last night, great cast and story, can tell already that we are going to love it.

The Girl with all the gifts.

The Girl with All the Gifts is a 2016 British post-apocalyptic zombie horror drama film directed by Colm McCarthy and written by M.R. Carey adapted from his novel of the same name. Starring Gemma Arterton, Paddy Considine, Glenn Close, and Sennia Nanua, the plot depicts a dystopian future following a breakdown of society after most of humanity is wiped out by a fungal infection and focuses upon the struggle of a scientist, a teacher and two soldiers who embark on a journey of survival with a special young girl named Melanie.[3]

Excellent zombie film in the mould of 28 days later. Not bad film apart from last 10 minutes but then a twist at the end
    Last edited by uncle bob; 07-02-17 at 06:37.

Trainspotting 2 is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    The Girl with all the gifts.

The Girl with All the Gifts is a 2016 British post-apocalyptic zombie horror drama film directed by Colm McCarthy and written by M.R. Carey adapted from his novel of the same name. Starring Gemma Arterton, Paddy Considine, Glenn Close, and Sennia Nanua, the plot depicts a dystopian future following a breakdown of society after most of humanity is wiped out by a fungal infection and focuses upon the struggle of a scientist, a teacher and two soldiers who embark on a journey of survival with a special young girl named Melanie.[3]

Excellent zombie film in the mould of 28 days later. Not bad film apart from last 10 minutes but then a twist at the end
    https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FnflAo9xAVo

Well worth a watch.
    Agreed.Just watched this. It was an uneven start but a strong second half of the film. Well worth a watch.