+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Neil Warnock dangerously close to being sacked."

Re: "Neil Warnock dangerously close to being sacked."

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It depends on who's idea it was to only spend 26 million on Championship players. If it was NW's he should go. If it was Tan's he should shut the **** up and let NW get on with it.
    You think Murphy and Reid aren’t good enough for the PL? I reckon they are or will be.

If Warnock was sacked who would take over? Allardyce was mentioned earlier but he would take one look at the squad and say "No thanks" as would others apart from the desperate. It is not Warnock's fault we are where we are. The lack of investment is the issue but having said that I am glad that we have not thrown money at the problem. Nobody in sound mind can blame Tan for not spending more than the 25% of his overall wealth he has already invested. The irony in all this is that had Warnock failed to get promotion last year but finished in the play offs he would be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    You can believe you’re good enough but that only goes so far. Having quality and quality options in most parts of the squad is what will keep you up. Maybe if you have manager and squad longevity and a football philosophy that suits the PL you can stay up. I feel like we have none of the above, or at least not enough of it. Our football philosophy suits the championship and maybe you can get away with and intense diresct style of play in the PL but you have to have the players to carry that out to perfection. I feel like the players we have at the moment are not quite technically good enough to outplay the opposition and aren’t quite big enough to outmuscle them either.... I’m thinking Murphy, Reid, Ward, Zohore, Hoylett. As far as Warnock goes, he might be a likeable character but I’m not sure he has the tactical acumen for elite football in the modern era.

I can’t see Alardyce rescuing City with the squad he’d have. And I can’t see Tan throwing money at the problem at xmas if he didn’t want to in the summer.

Keep Warnock. Bring in a higher profile striker in January and see if we can fight our way to 17th spot. Team spirit is our most valuable attribute at the moment. Take Warnock out and I think you can kiss goodbye to any hope of staying up.
    To be fair we haven't created an abundance of chances so far this season, apart from a few misplaced headers by Zohore I don' think any striker could have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You think Murphy and Reid aren’t good enough for the PL? I reckon they are or will be.
    That's not the point I was trying to make. I think they very well might be. We spent 22M we spent on them, we should have spent another 22M on two experienced EPL players. NW has essentially "done a Malky" and bought two players for the future, when we should have been whatever we could to not get relegated.

Our only chance of staying up is with NW.If we go down so what I prefer the championship to this fake world of Premiership anyway.
    I do know that if NW was removed it would seriously affect my decision on renewing my season ticket next season.
    What I have noticed this season is that suddenly people who I have never been seen before are the first to sit in judgement and have a pop at the team and no doubt if we do go down will never be seen again.
    Now is the time to stick with Neil and the boys and enjoy it for what it is.FAKE.Not Reality.

That's not the point I was trying to make. I think they very well might be. We spent 22M we spent on them, we should have spent another 22M on two experienced EPL players. NW has essentially "done a Malky" and bought two players for the future, when we should have been whatever we could to not get relegated.
    The wages were a big factor and paying players whose best years are behind them huge sums, (there wasn't an abundance and those that were available didn't want to come) were seen by many as a poor option, especially as there are no guarantees of survival.

Yes, Warnock has gambled on these players (not his first choices) in the hope they come off but I, and many others, saw this as his best/only option.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Our only chance of staying up is with NW.If we go down so what I prefer the championship to this fake world of Premiership anyway.
    I do know that if NW was removed it would seriously affect my decision on renewing my season ticket next season.
    What I have noticed this season is that suddenly people who I have never been seen before are the first to sit in judgement and have a pop at the team and no doubt if we do go down will never be seen again.
    Now is the time to stick with Neil and the boys and enjoy it for what it is.FAKE.Not Reality.
    Were you disappointed when we got promoted?

Also, whilst I don’t think sacking NW is the answer, I don’t think he should be afforded special treatment because he’s a nice guy, or even because he got us promoted. I’m sure he wouldn’t want people’s pity and if he isn’t cutting the mustard, it’s totally acceptable for him to be sacked.

If he had been given 50 million and the team were playing as they are now I’d have no qualms about sacking the guy. It happened to Mackay, to Ole and to Slade. Why should Warnock be any different?

He’s probably going to retire at the end of the season anyway. I don’t know if it’d be worse for his last season to be manager of a team with the lowest points tally in the history of the PL or getting sacked in November.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    If Tan had backed him, and by backed him I mean to the level of spending that Wolves and Fulham have done, then I could half believe this but not with what we started with and what we added to it.

It was no secret we needed a proven striker and a right back and arguably more but no manager would go in light if they didn't have to and have to work with what they are given. I think Warnock has done reasonably well given what he has brought in. I can't see anybody else doing too much better with this squad.

I honestly thought Tan would free more finances for Warnock. I know many have gone with the once bitten, twice shy argument but did we really spend that much last time out. Most of what we did spend we saw back too, obviously ignoring the whole Cornelius situation.
    I'd have been sick in my mouth a little bit if Warnock had thrown £100m at it like Fulham have done, after us fans wanking ourselves silly in May about how even a single conservative season in the Prem, with the parachute payments etc that come with it, would save us financially from the perilous position we've been in for the last decade.

Were you disappointed when we got promoted?

Also, whilst I don’t think sacking NW is the answer, I don’t think he should be afforded special treatment because he’s a nice guy, or even because he got us promoted. I’m sure he wouldn’t want people’s pity and if he isn’t cutting the mustard, it’s totally acceptable for him to be sacked.

If he had been given 50 million and the team were playing as they are now I’d have no qualms about sacking the guy. It happened to Mackay, to Ole and to Slade. Why should Warnock be any different?

He’s probably going to retire at the end of the season anyway. I don’t know if it’d be worse for his last season to be manager of a team with the lowest points tally in the history of the PL or getting sacked in November.
    Of course it was nice to get promoted as we actually won something great.But i was fully aware of the difficult season to come.
    I do feel the Premier is not the real world.The money involved etc is off the wall.
    As for special treatment for NW he fully earned it.
    1.Taking a failing club and turning into a promotion side on a very small little budget.
    2.Bring the supporters together at a time when we were badly divided .
    3. Reaching out to the wider community.
    4.Giving all of us a feel good factor.
    I would say he has earned our loyal support and trust and not finger pointing as soon as trouble appears.
    The way some supporters and fans turn is sickening.Sorry but thats how I feel.If we do go down NW is the perfect manager to get us back up.

If the time does come for Neil to move on, I hope he moves “upstairs”, he would be a great buy to have behind the scenes still. Not sure he would want that mind.

No reason to sack him though. We all knew the situation at the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Of course it was nice to get promoted as we actually won something great.But i was fully aware of the difficult season to come.
    I do feel the Premier is not the real world.The money involved etc is off the wall.
    As for special treatment for NW he fully earned it.
    1.Taking a failing club and turning into a promotion side on a very small little budget.
    2.Bring the supporters together at a time when we were badly divided .
    3. Reaching out to the wider community.
    4.Giving all of us a feel good factor.
    I would say he has earned our loyal support and trust and not finger pointing as soon as trouble appears.
    The way some supporters and fans turn is sickening.Sorry but thats how I feel.If we do go down NW is the perfect manager to get us back up.
    Well said.

We need to be far more clinical with the chances we have. Morrison in particular missed two great chances to get the winners at Huddersfield and against Newcastle plus we probably deserved a draw against Arsenal.
    We SHOULD be 5 points better off but we’re not. We need to make it count on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    I'd have been sick in my mouth a little bit if Warnock had thrown £100m at it like Fulham have done, after us fans wanking ourselves silly in May about how even a single conservative season in the Prem, with the parachute payments etc that come with it, would save us financially from the perilous position we've been in for the last decade.
    No one is saying spend £100million though, just a little more than the small amount we spent. Do you know what would be better for our “perilous position” than 1 season in the premier league? 2 seasons in the premier league.

I think it needs to be remembered that Vincent Tan converted nearly £70 million of club debt into equity once our promotion had been confirmed.

I agree with others who say that the level of spending seen in the summer was not enough, but that doesn't mean that I think we should have spent at Wolves and Fulham levels - Burnley and Huddersfield have spent in the region of £35 million in the past and survived and, with us getting bigger crowds than either of them and gaining considerably more points than Huddersfield did when going up, you would think that we could have done the same on a similar budget.

If Neil Warnock did have more money available to spend , but decided it wasn't needed, then, perhaps, he is closer to the sack than most of us believe. However, I strongly suspect that this was not the case and so he has been given much less room for manoeuvre financially than either Sean Dyche or David Wagner.

Vincent Tan has, in all likelihood, given our manager a really tough task therefore, but, as someone who has been very critical of our owner in the past, I cannot be this time because of that debt to equity conversion and also because I can understand any desire on his part not to see a repeat of what happened in 2013 in terms of our spending after promotion. What all of this means though is that relegation looks likely - if Vincent Tan is happy with that, then fair enough, but if he is expecting to stay up on the level of spending he has allowed, then he, has, most likely, overestimated the qualities of the playing squad and management/coaching staff.

It depends on who's idea it was to only spend 26 million on Championship players. If it was NW's he should go. If it was Tan's he should shut the **** up and let NW get on with it.
    Agree.

Although I don't agree with excessive spending I recall a conversation Neil Warnock had on Talk Sport in which he indicated Vincent Tan expected the club to qualify for Europe with the amount spent. While I believe that Vincent Tan has done more than his bit for the club I do believe his aspirations are totally unrealistic. No manager could get this squad anywhere near Europe and we all know, as fans, we were in for an almighty battle to avoid relegation and the experience so far seems to confirm this view.

I cannot believe some of you lot on here you read an article by some no name on the internet and then you spout a load of crap, warnock is one of the best managers we have ever had, and anyone calling for his sacking is an idiot? We knew that it was going to be a struggle and we also know that a striker did not arrive for one reason or another. I am not a negative person, but a realistic one, it's a pity some of you are not the same!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think it needs to be remembered that Vincent Tan converted nearly £70 million of club debt into equity once our promotion had been confirmed.

I agree with others who say that the level of spending seen in the summer was not enough, but that doesn't mean that I think we should have spent at Wolves and Fulham levels - Burnley and Huddersfield have spent in the region of £35 million in the past and survived and, with us getting bigger crowds than either of them and gaining considerably more points than Huddersfield did when going up, you would think that we could have done the same on a similar budget.

If Neil Warnock did have more money available to spend , but decided it wasn't needed, then, perhaps, he is closer to the sack than most of us believe. However, I strongly suspect that this was not the case and so he has been given much less room for manoeuvre financially than either Sean Dyche or David Wagner.

Vincent Tan has, in all likelihood, given our manager a really tough task therefore, but, as someone who has been very critical of our owner in the past, I cannot be this time because of that debt to equity conversion and also because I can understand any desire on his part not to see a repeat of what happened in 2013 in terms of our spending after promotion. What all of this means though is that relegation looks likely - if Vincent Tan is happy with that, then fair enough, but if he is expecting to stay up on the level of spending he has allowed, then he, has, most likely, overestimated the qualities of the playing squad and management/coaching staff.
    Who could we have got for an extra £9m that would make a difference (and want to come here) though.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Who could we have got for an extra £9m that would make a difference (and want to come here) though.
    That’s a managers job! Huddersfield’s manager did it. There are thousands of footballers all over the world. That’s a kop out question, anybody who doesn’t want to think can pose that question.

You cant deny that an extra 9 million would potentially give you a greater chance of survival. Besides, I think Hudds spent more like 50 million

There isn't a manager out there that could keep this team up. Even Tan should know that.

There is, and we have him already

That’s a managers job! Huddersfield’s manager did it. There are thousands of footballers all over the world. That’s a kop out question, anybody who doesn’t want to think can pose that question.

You cant deny that an extra 9 million would potentially give you a greater chance of survival. Besides, I think Hudds spent more like 50 million
    Having a few pints in Huddersfield after the game the other week and the Huddersfield fans I was talking to weren’t too happy with Wagner. They reckoned they’d forked out £50m on 9 players and up to our game only two had featured, their argument was that why didn’t they buy two £25m players who would vastly improve the side rather than bring in squad players. Fair point I thought, wages would most probably be the same for two marquee signings as nine squad thickeners.

"All over the world" are important words there as well - for example, Gross, arguably Brighton's most influential player last season, cost them just a £1.5 million transfer fee. I may be wrong, but I can't help thinking that we learned of Camarasa's availability on the weekend we played Betis and, although there were rumours about us signing German midfielders who played for Turkish clubs, we stayed firmly in the domestic market with it's inflated prices, even for lower division players.

Also, I think we may well have Warnock going for different players to the ones we signed if we had another £10 million to spend, so it's not quite the same as saying we could only sign players for £9 million or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I cannot believe some of you lot on here you read an article by some no name on the internet and then you spout a load of crap, warnock is one of the best managers we have ever had, and anyone calling for his sacking is an idiot? We knew that it was going to be a struggle and we also know that a striker did not arrive for one reason or another. I am not a negative person, but a realistic one, it's a pity some of you are not the same!
    No one is really saying he should be sacked though, it's more an interesting discussion on whether we've spent enough.

I'm sure certain posters don't want any debate just non stop posts saying WE R DA BEST!