+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next Season and beyond, my 2p worth...

Next Season and beyond, my 2p worth...

all this talk of having a go at promotion next year and getting players in, shipping players out, has got me thinking….. what do I want for my club Cardiff next season and beyond? Its easy to be caught up in the premiership dream, and we have done this before, at high cost.

I think i would like us to grow. Become a club again, not just a club where players are deemed rubbish after 1 appearance, or bought in and dismissed before even kicking a ball. I like us to become a club where players want to play for us, a club where fans are patient with players and managers.

Id like us to develop players, coach them to be better, sign players to suit a plan and a system / systems. Not just sign a player because they have decent stats on Football Manager 2017.

Id like us to sign welsh players where possible, Hennessy, Ledley, both out of contract, hopefully realistic signings for no transfer fee. I can see the wages being very high though. I want players who want to play for the club, want to improve and want to progress. Not just come here pick a pay packet and not work hard.

Id like fans to have a realistic approach to matches. If we lose 1-0 away from home it doesn’t mean we are rubbish. It doesn’t mean we are not putting the effort in. It doesn’t mean we are not good enough. Its a game of fine lines, if a goal goes in that hits both post, off the crossbar and crosses the line, it doesn’t undo the work for the other 89 mins. Its easy to forget that the other team is trying to win too.

Warnock - he has been excellent for the club since he came in. putting us in top 6 on current form since christmas. This achieved with a thin squad also. I think we should have a sensible go at promotion, get 4-5 good players in with the right attitude and have a good crack at promotion. However being cautious at the same time with finances without making our plight worse. If we do make it to the promised land, I really hope we don’t squander the money like last time and use it to put the club on a sound footing. Even if this means relegation / promotion cycles for next 10 years. Further more we should start planning for after Warnock, he snot going to be around long term and we need to start planning for this.

Players in/out - Warnock seems happy with our Centre Backs, plus Connolly. He talked up peltier and Bennet in recent weeks, so I’m thinking it will only be a defensive left back, and 2 keepers at the back. An attacking midfielder , 2 wingers, and possible a pacy striker. Would like to see him give Idriss Saadi a try, Lambert isn’t going to be wanted by many teams, so an be used off the bench as and when. Huws, Noone, Pilkington to be sold , Huws has made it clear he wants to stay at ipswich, so off ya go son. Noone and Pilks gone stale and not had the improvement Harris, Zahore has had since Warncok came in. Declan John, as important as i think it is to have home grown players at the club, he isn’t a left back, could do with a season on loan playing further forward in my opinion. Hoillett, to stay and have a good season behind him. Harris to stay hopefully.

as for Fred, o’keefe, Kennedy, get rid, just not good enough. Id like us to keep Adeyemi, however he’s out of contract so can’t see us offering him a new deal.

heres hoping for a good season !

Re: Next Season and beyond, my 2p worth...

Have you heard of a certain place called ****?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Have you heard of a certain place called ****?
    I have , I believe it is the dark side ? Is that the place to go for my well considered views ?

I think we are probably another season of building before we can start thinking about challenging for a playoff spot, but you never know. Margins in this league at very tight.

I'm not sure when we have ever signed a player because they are good on football manager though? Who are you referring to there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think we are probably another season of building before we can start thinking about challenging for a playoff spot, but you never know. Margins in this league at very tight.

I'm not sure when we have ever signed a player because they are good on football manager though? Who are you referring to there?
    No one in particular , although you often hear people recommending players they have "seen" based purely on their football manager stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I have , I believe it is the dark side ? Is that the place to go for my well considered views ?
    No it's a place to go for club bashing and negativity which means what you're asking for will never realistically happen.

all this talk of having a go at promotion next year and getting players in, shipping players out, has got me thinking….. what do I want for my club Cardiff next season and beyond? Its easy to be caught up in the premiership dream, and we have done this before, at high cost.

I think i would like us to grow. Become a club again, not just a club where players are deemed rubbish after 1 appearance, or bought in and dismissed before even kicking a ball. I like us to become a club where players want to play for us, a club where fans are patient with players and managers.

Id like us to develop players, coach them to be better, sign players to suit a plan and a system / systems. Not just sign a player because they have decent stats on Football Manager 2017.

Id like us to sign welsh players where possible, Hennessy, Ledley, both out of contract, hopefully realistic signings for no transfer fee. I can see the wages being very high though. I want players who want to play for the club, want to improve and want to progress. Not just come here pick a pay packet and not work hard.

Id like fans to have a realistic approach to matches. If we lose 1-0 away from home it doesn’t mean we are rubbish. It doesn’t mean we are not putting the effort in. It doesn’t mean we are not good enough. Its a game of fine lines, if a goal goes in that hits both post, off the crossbar and crosses the line, it doesn’t undo the work for the other 89 mins. Its easy to forget that the other team is trying to win too.

Warnock - he has been excellent for the club since he came in. putting us in top 6 on current form since christmas. This achieved with a thin squad also. I think we should have a sensible go at promotion, get 4-5 good players in with the right attitude and have a good crack at promotion. However being cautious at the same time with finances without making our plight worse. If we do make it to the promised land, I really hope we don’t squander the money like last time and use it to put the club on a sound footing. Even if this means relegation / promotion cycles for next 10 years. Further more we should start planning for after Warnock, he snot going to be around long term and we need to start planning for this.

Players in/out - Warnock seems happy with our Centre Backs, plus Connolly. He talked up peltier and Bennet in recent weeks, so I’m thinking it will only be a defensive left back, and 2 keepers at the back. An attacking midfielder , 2 wingers, and possible a pacy striker. Would like to see him give Idriss Saadi a try, Lambert isn’t going to be wanted by many teams, so an be used off the bench as and when. Huws, Noone, Pilkington to be sold , Huws has made it clear he wants to stay at ipswich, so off ya go son. Noone and Pilks gone stale and not had the improvement Harris, Zahore has had since Warncok came in. Declan John, as important as i think it is to have home grown players at the club, he isn’t a left back, could do with a season on loan playing further forward in my opinion. Hoillett, to stay and have a good season behind him. Harris to stay hopefully.

as for Fred, o’keefe, Kennedy, get rid, just not good enough. Id like us to keep Adeyemi, however he’s out of contract so can’t see us offering him a new deal.

Yeah a fair assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No it's a place to go for club bashing and negativity which means what you're asking for will never realistically happen.
    I thought the trolls were meant to go from this board, obviously not.

Fair comments and couldn't disagree with many. Kennedy I would want to keep as he definitely has something from what I saw, albeit in the DVP league.

Our fans patient is stretching it mind

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Fair comments and couldn't disagree with many. Kennedy I would want to keep as he definitely has something from what I saw, albeit in the DVP league.

Our fans patient is stretching it mind
    Yeah that is a bit optimistic. Maybe we can go 2 games without half of our fans labelling players useless or not good enough.

No one in particular , although you often hear people recommending players they have "seen" based purely on their football manager stats.
    To be fair, top clubs use Football Manager in their scouting process

Cracking post!

Agreed about the Warnock conundrum. Whoever ends up replacing him might tear up everything he's done.

All sounds good to me.
    A few minor alterations, but I don't think that's a million miles from where the club is trying to go

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Given that we took thirty eight points from the turn of the year in twenty three games (half a season's fixtures), we weren't far away from top six form over the past few months - I think we can be more realistic top six challengers than we were in 2015/16 if we can make good signings this summer.

Good post. I would lie to see O'Keefe stay, not quite made my mind up on Kennedy. But I would not argue with what Warnock decides an any of these players. I would be happy for us to be hovering around the play off places throughout next season, getting in them at season's end would be a success IMO. Bring it on.
    Speger

Signing Welsh players is great for the fans, but objectively it puts the club at a disadvantage. We should simply be signing the best players for the job, players that the manager thinks he can work with.

Here's my 2p's worth about next season:---

I think we will do OK, but I think some fans will be disappointed by the fact that "OUR NEIL", will rarely play youngsters.

He will go for the tried and trusted type of player and I've no doubt, that he has already sounded out the ones he wants to come here.

Time is definitely not on his side and he will go for experience over youth.

I'm not saying that the footie in front of us won't be exciting, I'm saying next season we wont see any youngsters break through.

That will be for the NEXT manager to sort out, whoever that is.

Looking forward to next season, for the first time in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    All sounds good to me.
    A few minor alterations, but I don't think that's a million miles from where the club is trying to go
    Warnock has said a few times he'd like to be between the manager and the owners. Would it be the worst thing in the world if he stuck around for a year or two as a DoF type, with another manager at the helm? At least we'd have some stability. I'm not saying it's a great idea or going to happen but it's an option at least. Certainly I wouldn't want to drop a Bellamy etc in with no experience on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Warnock has said a few times he'd like to be between the manager and the owners. Would it be the worst thing in the world if he stuck around for a year or two as a DoF type, with another manager at the helm? At least we'd have some stability. I'm not saying it's a great idea or going to happen but it's an option at least. Certainly I wouldn't want to drop a Bellamy etc in with no experience on his own.
    I'm pretty sure that's the plan isn't it? Bellamy to become the next manager with Warnock on the board/Director of Football

I have concerns over Bellamy lack of experience combined with his "spikey" personality.

We do need to plan for the next five years though.

I don't see Bellamy working well under Warnock. 2 massive egos.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the plan isn't it? Bellamy to become the next manager with Warnock on the board/Director of Football
    I'm not sure how I feel about the prospect of Warnock as a director of football.

Don't get me wrong, the guy certainly has his strengths, but a directors role and a management role are very different things.

I think Warnock's main strength lies in the clarity of vision he has in how he wants to play, and how well that is communicated to the team.
    He keeps it simple and everyone in a Warnock team knows what they are expected to do.

Having a football philosophy is pretty important for a DoF, but a directors role should be transformational not transactional and be thinking about the longer term. I may be doing him a disservice, but I think he may be a little old school to keep up with the latest practices.

The DoF is not there to hand hold an inexperienced manager.

If Warnock was to stay around after his management, i wouldnt want it to be for the purpose of establishing any future vision for the club's playing style but i do think he would be very useful for his experience of the knowledge of the game.

Making sure we're not as naive as a club while drawing up contracts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    If Warnock was to stay around after his management, i wouldnt want it to be for the purpose of establishing any future vision for the club's playing style but i do think he would be very useful for his experience of the knowledge of the game.

Making sure we're not as naive as a club while drawing up contracts etc.
    If we keep him about, he can make sure the club makes the smart decisions off the field, that they seem to be doing with him now. Also, if we had a younger manager, he could oversee the youth etc and take some pressure off the manager. It would probably not be such a good idea if we got in a more experienced manager as it would be a massive personality clash.