+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bristol City v Cardiff City. Player ratings

Bristol City v Cardiff City. Player ratings

I wasn't there today and don't usually do ratings but here are the thoughts of WalesOnline.

Anyone there agree, or disagree? And how the hell can Mendez-Laing get 6? Surely he doesn't get a rating.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...-zero-13857721

Neil Etheridge 7
    Made a few sharp stops to deny Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan but looked helpless for Callum O'Dowda's excellent curled opener and Flint's header.

Callum Paterson 7
    Always busy and energetic if a little rash at times. But the Scot is a huge asset, he really gets about the pitch and offers a dynamic option, be it wing-back or full-back.

Sean Morrison (capt.) 7
    Bailed out his teammates plenty and rallied when Cardiff were reduced to 10 men. Not pretty, but a captain's display in the heart of defence.

Bruno Manga 6
    Bristol City targeted the Gabon international with a ferocious press, Bryan exploiting the space between Manga and Paterson early on. The big man did better in the second half despite being caught flat-footed for Flint's goal.

Lee Peltier 6
    Credit to the full-back for his part in Bogle's strike and some meaty second half challenges, but he piled needless pressure on himself with an early booking and often looked troubled by O'Dowda.

Sol Bamba 7
    Caught out of position and stepped off O'Dowda for the opening goal but stepped into midfield after the break and had more influence.

Joe Ralls 6
    Too many passes went awry in the first half as Cardiff struggled to control the midfield but he worked tirelessly, if in vain, to keep the Bluebirds in touch.

Craig Bryson 5
    Brought in to replace Lee Tomlin as Warnock opted for solidity in midfield, but had a scrappy sort of game. Switched to right wing after the red card and was taken off for Tomlin late on.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing 6
    Went off very early with an injury to his quad muscle. Was missed.

STAR MAN - Junior Hoilett 7
    Always an outlet, switched flanks continuously and looked the biggest threat to Bristol City's defence. Set up Bogle's equaliser.

Omar Bogle 5
    Produced a smart finish slotting beneath Fielding to make it 1-1. But his rash challenge left the Bluebirds in the lurch and getting a result with 10 men was always going to be tricky.

Liam Feeney (for Mendez-Laing, 7 mins): It's a hard ask to replace Mendez-Laing but the on-loan Blackburn man make no impact. Was sacrificed for Ward when Bogle went off. 5

Danny Ward (for Feeney, 57 mins): Superb persistence and hard running when asked to lead the line for the 10 men. 7

Lee Tomlin (for Bryson, 84 mins): Couldn't produce a heroic equaliser late on. 6

Unused: Murphy, Halford, Connolly, Damour.

Re: Bristol City v Cardiff City. Player ratings

I would give the Cardiff keeper an 8 or 9.
    I thought he was excellent.
    He made several superb saves in the first half.
    He can’t do anything if his defenders are giving Aden Flint a free header inside the box.

Hoilett was easily Cardiff’s best player and is a 9. He was a threat every time.

The bloke who got sent off deserves a 3.
    Two footed midair challenge in front of the referee when 1-1 away from home.
    Doesn’t matter he scored. He cost them the game.

That Sol Bamba isn’t a very good distributor of the ball. I also couldn’t really work out where he was supposed to be playing.
    He seems to have to win it back every time because his first touch is so poor.

The left back a 4 because he got done pretty much every time by O’Dowda.

And Tomlin a 1. For being a c**t.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    He can’t do anything if his defenders are giving Aden Flint a free header inside the box.

Hoilett was easily Cardiff’s best player and is a 9. He was a threat every time.

That Sol Bamba isn’t a very good distributor of the ball. I also couldn’t really work out where he was supposed to be playing.

That was a quick few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post

Much as we all think Jursett,'s a bellend, he ain't far off

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton Baptiste View Post
    Much as we all think Jursett,'s a bellend, he ain't far off
    Except for the last bit that's not a bad summary.

The saves in the first half weren't that difficult.

Peltier is a right back playing left back and also was harshly booked after 3 minutes ( after which the ref ignored 2 similar offences by Bristol players- maybe not wanting to end up booking loads from both sides) so was always going to be struggling.

Tomlin will have a big part to play in the next few weeks

Otherwise fair enough.

Not bad for an utter bellend 😂