+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Daily Mail's Martin Samuel does a hatchet job on City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Daily Mail's Martin Samuel does a hatchet job on City.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Interesting comments about the Bamba signing. When you see it like that in black and white it does seem a little...odd.

Signing of the Mckay twins is just embarrassing.
    I don't see how City could be criticised for the Bamba signing though - he was released by Leeds while Paul Trollope was manager and he only became a target of ours after Neil Warnock was appointed.

Agree about the McKay twins.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't see how City could be criticised for the Bamba signing though - he was released by Leeds while Paul Trollope was manager and he only became a target of ours after Neil Warnock was appointed.

Agree about the McKay twins.
    Bamba left Leeds on September 1 2016 citing personal reasons (which as far as I know were never disclosed).

One month and four days later Warnock arrives at CCFC. Think it’s fair to say the writing was on the wall for Trollope before that.

Bamba’s agent - big Willie McKay.

Have other clubs got a relationship with McKay? Undoubtedly - but we’re the ones who were lumbered with his sons (signed under Warnock) so it’s safe to assume our/Warnock’s relationship with McKay is closer than others.

Bamba left Leeds on September 1 2016 citing personal reasons (which as far as I know were never disclosed).

One month and four days later Warnock arrives at CCFC. Think it’s fair to say the writing was on the wall for Trollope before that.

Have other clubs got a relationship with McKay? Undoubtedly - but we’re the ones who were lumbered with his sons (signed under Warnock) so it’s safe to assume our/Warnock’s relationship with McKay is closer than others.
    You make a case for a relationship between Warnock and McKay, but I specifically said City because I fail to see how any sort of case against Messrs Tan, Dalman and Choo could be made on the basis of some sort of deal whereby Leeds cancel Bamba's contract with the object of letting us have him as part of deal concocted between Neil Warnock and the hierarchy at City at a time when Trollope had only been in charge for three or four matches.

TOBW, you said: "A major flaw in Samuel's argument for me is the way he claims that none of this would be happening if Emiliano Sala were still alive. He brings attention to the Vincent Tan/ Malky Mackay/Iain Moody situation while making particular reference to the Andreas Cornelius transfer, but doesn't our owner's use of the legal system in that case show that there is at least the possibility that City would be acting in exactly the same way if Emiliano was still with us?"

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be), but hadn't Cornelius been at the club for a number of months and been proving a disappointment before Tan began questioning his transfer? Also, wasn't his 'legal investigation' into Mackay and Moody far more wide-ranging than the Cornelius transfer alone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    TOBW, you said: "A major flaw in Samuel's argument for me is the way he claims that none of this would be happening if Emiliano Sala were still alive. He brings attention to the Vincent Tan/ Malky Mackay/Iain Moody situation while making particular reference to the Andreas Cornelius transfer, but doesn't our owner's use of the legal system in that case show that there is at least the possibility that City would be acting in exactly the same way if Emiliano was still with us?"

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be), but hadn't Cornelius been at the club for a number of months and been proving a disappointment before Tan began questioning his transfer? Also, wasn't his 'legal investigation' into Mackay and Moody far more wide-ranging than the Cornelius transfer alone?
    Not sure about cornelius specifically but after we beat man city Vincent tan was very vocal to the media after the game complaining we paid more than we should have for gary medel. He was also complaining about agents etc then......

We started the season well and Gary medel looked worth whatever we paid for him- and more, but our results and performances didnt stop tan questioning our transfers then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I can't say for certain, but I believe the 13/14 season was about six weeks/two months old when Vincent Tan first mentioned his dissatisfaction with the Cornelius transfer - I've not been able to find anything to confirm that though.

As for your second question, yes you are right.

I can't say for certain, but I believe the 13/14 season was about six weeks/two months old when Vincent Tan first mentioned his dissatisfaction with the Cornelius transfer - I've not been able to find anything to confirm that though.

My view is that Tan (and his Chairman) wouldn't have been saying or doing anything negative in relation to the Sala fee or the payments to Nantes unless the player had proved a flop. I honestly don't think he'd have been kicking up a fuss right now, but considering past history he may well have done so at the end of the season had the team been relegated and Sala failed to make a significant impact.

I don't believe the Mackay/Moody/Cornelius situation is directly comparable as the relationship between the owner and the manager had clearly soured significantly in that case before Tan started kicking up a fuss. I don't think the same is true with Warnock. Not yet, anyway.

You are correct Bob, the painter and decorator being employed as chief scout was after 6 weeks and obviously an effort to get MM to resign.

Let's face it, for 7/8 seasons the club has been pretty useless when trying to get the players they want, especially when it's an urgent/marque signing. Cornelius, Madine, and possibly Sala. All bought for well over the odds, with not a whiff of competition from other clubs in sight. No doubt Madine's agent was saying that there were loads of other clubs bidding for him as the window closed but 'lucky for Cardiff he wants to come to you and you can have him for £6m'. This from a club that is absolutely broke and couldn't pay the players wages !!! And Nantes ? Raided yesterday by the French equivalent of the Inland Revenue !!

And the McKay boys joining the City ?? Nothing illegal or wrong, but for a club with sustained Premier league ambitions it hardly sends out the right message to other players when favours like that are handed out as if it were a Cardiff and District under 11's.

Sala would almost certainly have been insured from the moment he became a City player. [if he wasn't would be gross negligence - you don't buy a house and then take out insurance]. Were he to have been killed crossing the A48 then I have no doubt there would have been every likelyhood of City recovering most if not all of the fee. But with the emails from McKay snr. coming to light, the 'value' of City's loss may be a lot less than £15m. If a spiv flogged me a watch for £10k but was worth only £5k, then I'll only get £5k from the insurer - it's up to be to get the other £5k from McKay - sorry, the spiv.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Let's face it, for 7/8 seasons the club has been pretty useless when trying to get the players they want, especially when it's an urgent/marque signing. Cornelius, Madine, and possibly Sala. All bought for well over the odds, with not a whiff of competition from other clubs in sight. No doubt Madine's agent was saying that there were loads of other clubs bidding for him as the window closed but 'lucky for Cardiff he wants to come to you and you can have him for £6m'. This from a club that is absolutely broke and couldn't pay the players wages !!! And Nantes ? Raided yesterday by the French equivalent of the Inland Revenue !!

And the McKay boys joining the City ?? Nothing illegal or wrong, but for a club with sustained Premier league ambitions it hardly sends out the right message to other players when favours like that are handed out as if it were a Cardiff and District under 11's.

Sala would almost certainly have been insured from the moment he became a City player. [if he wasn't would be gross negligence - you don't buy a house and then take out insurance]. Were he to have been killed crossing the A48 then I have no doubt there would have been every likelyhood of City recovering most if not all of the fee. But with the emails from McKay snr. coming to light, the 'value' of City's loss may be a lot less than £15m. If a spiv flogged me a watch for £10k but was worth only £5k, then I'll only get £5k from the insurer - it's up to be to get the other £5k from McKay - sorry, the spiv.
    Yeah so useless we got a group of players that got us promoted.
    While below us in the Championship there are squads who have cost much more.

Why are you posting drivel like this. Talk about conspiracy theories !. Over the last two years it has been stated publicly by Bamba and NW, on a number of occasions, that they knew each other well previously and that when Bamba left Leeds (and NW was out of a job at the time) they spoke and that NW told Bamba to hold fire on signing for anyone because it was very likely that he (NW) would be back employed shortly and that the first thing he would do is bring Bamba on board. Bamba agreed to this because of his respect and like for NW. He had offers from other clubs but turned them down because he knew that NW was a man of his word and wanted to work with him again. The rest is history. Nothing to do with Willie Mckay or any other agent.