+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.
    Summed up perfectly.
    He wasn't as rubbish as some made out.
    However for slightly more money we could have signed Wilfred Bony ( we were in for him before Swansea) and probably stated up and made a £10m profit.

Spending most of your striker transfer budget on 'one for the future' when you best alternative is Campbell was total stupidity and cost Malky his job and ultimately our place at the top table IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Funny, people were saying the same about Zohore..

Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.
    Also Gestede - total money spent on him £12m.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Apparently reports in Denmark suggest that we do have a sell on clause with a 'large proportion' of the fee due to us. If true this could provide a decent boost to Warnock's Summer transfer kitty.

http://the72.co.uk/79435/cardiff-cit...-danish-media/
    Optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Also Gestede - total money spent on him £12m.
    Gestede isn't a top flight quality player and the fact that £12m has been spent on him is baffling

He's a decent Championship striker, nothing more than that

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Gestede isn't a top flight quality player and the fact that £12m has been spent on him is baffling

He's a decent Championship striker, nothing more than that
    Yet, he's playing at that level and £12m has been spent on him. Some fans thought he was useless too, just like Cornelius who looks set to be playing in Serie A next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359
    Definitely. He was going to be our number one striker and then we saw him play...

Yet, he's playing at that level and £12m has been spent on him. Some fans thought he was useless too, just like Cornelius who looks set to be playing in Serie A next season.
    Playing at a certain level and having money spent on you doesn't equate to being a Premier League quality player
    He's made 46 Premier League appearances and scored 6 goals, he's not a Premier League quality player

Playing at a certain level and having money spent on you doesn't equate to being a Premier League quality player
    He's made 46 Premier League appearances and scored 6 goals, he's not a Premier League quality player
    In your opinion. Not in the opinion of two PL managers.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post

Both of whom were sacked very soon after signing Rudy & are no longer PL managers. In fact neither are currently a manager at any level

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post
    And where are they now?

Gestede isn't a bad player, but he's not Premier League quality

And where are they now?

Gestede isn't a bad player, but he's not Premier League quality
    Where's Gestede now. I'll give you a clue, playing at a much higher level than Cardiff fans thought he could. Same fans criticising Cornelius off the back of a few sub appearances.

Where's Gestede now. I'll give you a clue, playing at a much higher level than Cardiff fans thought he could. Same fans criticising Cornelius off the back of a few sub appearances.
    And about to be relegated back down to the Championship, having been relegated last season as well

Bit of history rewriting going on here. Cornelius was not even good enough to be an apology for a footballer when with us.

I'm going to suggest he might be slightly better now but I'd still not want him over Zohore based on what I saw him unable to do with my own eyes.

Cornelius was a total waste of space. Rumours about him being homesick and this that and the other. Kids his age are going off to fight in wars, and he was whinging about coming to Cardiff and earning 30 grand a weak. I hope he breaks his leg in serie a. Fuking g fraud

And about to be relegated back down to the Championship, having been relegated last season as well
    43 games in the EPL and still yet to finish on the winning side.

In all fairness he's breaking Premiership records. Utter garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Bit of history rewriting going on here.
    http://http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/cardiff-chief-executive-simon-lim-slams-former-manager-malky-mackay-over-imprudent-and-careless-9127535.html

Comment from Paul Lim in 2014: "To commit the club to a significant cost and liability over a five year contract for one player is not prudent, especially as he was not to contribute to our success now, but was for the future."

I remember Kenny Dalglish commenting how he rated Gestede after the Carling cup final.

My impression is that, of Rudy Gestede and Fraizer Campbell, more City fans prefer Campbell. Both Campbell and Gestede have made 17 Premier League starts since leaving Cardiff City, while Gestede has come off the bench 4 more times than Campbell. Gestede has scored 6 PL goals since leaving us, Campbell 5.

In terms of goals at least, it could be argued that Gestede is marginally the better striker. I can't say I was the greatest fan of either of them and I'm not looking to put up a case for Gestede, but thought I'd leave that with you.

With the Cornelius to Atalanta deal now done and no mention of us receiving any sell on clause we once again see another example of Vincent Tans business prowess.

The guy is a well connected idiot of the highest order

Good luck Acorn go show him up further for the fool he is

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    With the Cornelius to Atalanta deal now done and no mention of us receiving any sell on clause we once again see another example of Vincent Tans business prowess.

In fairness it's not just Tan who never puts sell on clause (assuming he hasn't), I really can't remember the last player we sold we put a sell on clause on under any owner

Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    In fairness it's not just Tan who never puts sell on clause (assuming he hasn't), I really can't remember the last player we sold we put a sell on clause on under any owner
    To be honest I never thought for a moment he would have. He was only concerned in proving a point about Malky.
    It was suggested on here by a few that we would be quids in however but the silence suggests otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

Be patient, it took quite a while for the Bale money to come through.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The debate doesn't seem to be whether he can set the world alight or not, but if he can kick a ball let alone is he good enough to be a pro. 25 in 85 confirms that he is.

He will always go down as one of our worst signings because he was too expensive and too raw, but he's clearly good enough to make a living in the game and at a level that the majority of players aren't good enough to reach.
    He will always go down as one of our worst signings because Vinny chose to make a really big fuss about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He will always go down as one of our worst signings because Vinny chose to make a really big fuss about it.
    Yeah I agree there. That statement that was put out was one of the lowest things City have ever done.