+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Not a clue about how to improve defence" - some help...

"Not a clue about how to improve defence" - some help...

Cunningham was at fault for both goals - failing to prevent the attacker from scoring with header (didn't get up high enough; didn't nudge/unbalance attacker) and being wrong side of Vokes when cross came in.

Lack of concentration before second goal was scored. Cunningham (again) was berating Etheridge for not coming for the ball during an attack just before the free kick was taken. As was Bamba. More interested in bad-mouthing team mate than doing their job. Sloppy and unprofessional.

Solution: drop Cunningham.

It was a relatively easy day for Cardiff defenders. Burnley attackers are Championship standard, and still we lost two goals.

We lack pace and know-how in the heart of the defence. Centre backs are often pulled out of position. Morrison found himself playing on the wing on at least three occasions.

(Neil: my mobile no: 07639327569. Anytime)

Blog Entries

Re: "Not a clue about how to improve defence" - some help...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Cunningham was at fault for both goals - failing to prevent the attacker from scoring with header (didn't get up high enough; didn't nudge/unbalance attacker) and being wrong side of Vokes when cross came in.

Lack of concentration before second goal was scored. Cunningham (again) was berating Etheridge for not coming for the ball during an attack just before the free kick was taken. As was Bamba. More interested in bad-mouthing team mate than doing their job. Sloppy and unprofessional.

Solution: drop Cunningham.

It was a relatively easy day for Cardiff defenders. Burnley attackers are Championship standard, and still we lost two goals.

We lack pace and know-how in the heart of the defence. Centre backs are often pulled out of position. Morrison found himself playing on the wing on at least three occasions.

(Neil: my mobile no: 07639327569. Anytime)
    Let us know what he says.

We missed out on safety last time by 6 points. That was with a defence including Declan John , Ben Turner , and Caulker.

I’d say our current defence is better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    We missed out on safety last time by 6 points. That was with a defence including Declan John , Ben Turner , and Caulker.

I’d say our current defence is better than that.
    They are not showing that currently though, particularly Morrison and Bamba.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Let us know what he says.
    I would but you keep hogging the number with dodgy deals for a ton of unctuous oil......

Bamba is playing poorly, and Cunnigham has done himself no favours in the last two games. Manga has to play at centre back because this season he is playing better than both Morrison and Bamba. Richards would then have to come in at right back, that way at least we have a proper full back playing there instead of a centre back playing out of position, and our best centre back playing where he should.

I expect whoever plays on Saturday will get the run around anyway, but at least with a back four of Richards, Morrison, Manga and Bennet we'd have a chance. Peltier is out, Bamba and Cunningham off form and Connolly nowhere to be seen. Start there and play the usual 3 in midfield of Arter, Ralls and Camarasa and then have 3 others around them like Zohore/Ward/Reid/Paterson/Murphy or Hoilett. That's about as good as it gets for us.

Tan will need to spend money in January on a decent right back, a centre back, a midfield and a striker. But will he? And can we trust Warnock to spend money wisely. £6m on Madine! £3.5m on a reserve 'keeper and £4m on a reserve full back. And £19m on Murphy and Reid. That's something like £32m since January. With the exception of Murphy they are all not good enough. We'll have a whole new team next season as Richards, Manga, Gunnarsson,Pilkington are out of contract. Bamba will have 1 year left and 2/3 of our midfield are on loan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I would but you keep hogging the number with dodgy deals for a ton of unctuous oil......
    Tell him to give the team some

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Bamba is playing poorly, and Cunnigham has done himself no favours in the last two games. Manga has to play at centre back because this season he is playing better than both Morrison and Bamba. Richards would then have to come in at right back, that way at least we have a proper full back playing there instead of a centre back playing out of position, and our best centre back playing where he should.

I expect whoever plays on Saturday will get the run around anyway, but at least with a back four of Richards, Morrison, Manga and Bennet we'd have a chance. Peltier is out, Bamba and Cunningham off form and Connolly nowhere to be seen. Start there and play the usual 3 in midfield of Arter, Ralls and Camarasa and then have 3 others around them like Zohore/Ward/Reid/Paterson/Murphy or Hoilett. That's about as good as it gets for us.

Tan will need to spend money in January on a decent right back, a centre back, a midfield and a striker. But will he? And can we trust Warnock to spend money wisely. £6m on Madine! £3.5m on a reserve 'keeper and £4m on a reserve full back. And £19m on Murphy and Reid. That's something like £32m since January. With the exception of Murphy they are all not good enough. We'll have a whole new team next season as Richards, Manga, Gunnarsson,Pilkington are out of contract. Bamba will have 1 year left and 2/3 of our midfield are on loan.
    Im afraid NW has blown any chance of signing anymore centre backs. He gave a 33 year old Bamba a 3 year contract and gave Manga who incidentally spent 3 previous seasons trying to get out the club a new contract aswell !! Both are part of a v poor defence atm. We have full backs but NW chooses to play a centre half as a full back. We are a shambles at the back right now

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    They are not showing that currently though, particularly Morrison and Bamba.
    It just isnt getting any better one month on is it?
    Bamba was an awful again today costing us a goal again and once again I read Manga was generally good but was at fault for yet another goal. Morrison is just slow and struggling at this level.
    We cannot hope to compete if we continue to play so badly at the back. I would try and get Cahill in in January.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Bamba was an awful again today costing us a goal again and once again I read Manga was generally good but was at fault for yet another goal. Morrison is just slow and struggling at this level.
    We cannot hope to compete if we continue to play so badly at the back. I would try and get Cahill in in January.
    Against the second best team in the league though, What do people expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Against the second best team in the league though, What do people expect ?
    Granted, although we are making some basic errors that make it easier for them. Not saying that it would make the difference as Liverpool have so much quality. I bet Morrison and co aren't best pleased, even though it was against one of the best teams in Europe. I was more disappointed with the errors against Burnley as I felt that neither of them were forced, unlike today.

It's the best defence we've ever had. We just happen to be playing some of the best club sides in the World in this league.
    It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    It's the best defence we've ever had. We just happen to be playing some of the best club sides in the World in this league.
    It's really that simple.
    Burnley and Fulham are not some of the best clubs in the world and we let some really sloppy goals in against them.

Also, some of the goals weve been giving away against the top 6 sides have been avoidable. Their first two yesterday for starters. The third goal you just got to hold your hands up it was terrific play, and the 4th they caught us on the break.

We got to cut out the silly mistakes because there is not enough goals in the team to score 2 or 3 to get a win.

He’s on 80k a week you deluded fool

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Burnley and Fulham are not some of the best clubs in the world and we let some really sloppy goals in against them.

Also, some of the goals weve been giving away against the top 6 sides have been avoidable. Their first two yesterday for starters. The third goal you just got to hold your hands up it was terrific play, and the 4th they caught us on the break.

We got to cut out the silly mistakes because there is not enough goals in the team to score 2 or 3 to get a win.
    I think that's a reasonable summary of what's happened so far. The defence needs to go back to doing the basics well and not overthinking things. At this level an organised defence is essential for achieving anything.

As if Cahill would come to us and as if we could afford his wages

Last season we conceded 2 or more goals in a league game on only 8 occasions and had the joint best defensive record in the division. Half of those occasions were in a dreadful 6 game spell in December/January, meaning that over the remaining 40 games (split 19 before that run/21 after that run), we conceded 2 or more on only 4 occasions.

This season we've conceded 2 or more in 7 of our 10 league games.

Last season we won 4 points from our 8 games when conceding 2 or more. One was a last-gasp leveller at Reading while we were battering Birmingham City out of sight until they pulled 2 goals back.

I agree totally about the sloppy nature of some of our goals. This wasn't anywhere near as evident last season. Maybe it's the increased pressure of playing in the top division - if you know a mistake is going to be punished far more often, you are under more pressure not to make a mistake, which can increase the likelihood of a mistake. There's also the issue of conceding too much possession, though we've been better with the ball ourselves this season.

I also think it's because our defence is better suited to the rough and tumble of the Championship, where pace and trickery are in much shorter supply. They've earned the right to be our bedrock in the Premier League, but if mistakes can't be stopped, then we need Vinny to open his cheque book.

He’s on 80k a week you deluded fool

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    It's really that simple.
    Er ..... without wanting to get into a protracted disagreement if that is the best defence we have ever had we are in terrible trouble. It is just not good enough for the keague we are in. Some of the goals we have been conceding are laughable