+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing the depths. Jeremy Kyle, Jerry Springer et al

Plumbing the depths. Jeremy Kyle, Jerry Springer et al

Looks like the Jeremy Kyle programme may be taken off air permanently, thank God (not that I have one).
    Using the most unfortunate members of society as entertainment fodder is pretty low, in my opinion.

I am just surprised that someone of his ilk has never been attacked or murdered away from the TV studios.

The author Heinrich Böll wrote 'Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum' (The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum) in 1974 and it was about a conservative young lady who, in a rare lapse of her own morals, meets a young man, who unknown to her is a suspected terrorist, at a party and takes him beach to her place. One of the German 'redtop' newspapers (yes, they have them in Germany too) vilifies her and twists descriptions of her as given by her neighbours and acquaintances. For 'level-headed' read 'cool and calculating' etc. She ends up being so distraught that she murders the reporter responsible for her vilification and effectively becomes the criminal that she is made out to be.

Artfully, before Chapter 1, Böll inserted the following statement:

"The characters and actions within this story are entirely fictitious. Should the description of journalistic practices result in the resemblance to the practices of Bild Zeitung [German equivalent of the Sun], such resemblance is neither intentional, nor fortuitious, rather unavoidable".

Re: Plumbing the depths. Jeremy Kyle, Jerry Springer et al

Why on earth people would want to appear on this show, airing their washing in public, beats me!

I have to wonder how many relationships and families has those unreliable lie detectors torn apart?
    All in the name of “entertainment”.

I have never watched a reality show of any description , I cannot understand the appeal , or why folk watch them , but they do in their droves which sums up our dumbed down ,piss taking , lets see someone humiliated , society , jeepers, folk go on about the Daily Mail ?

Personally i don't like Jeremy Kyle and think he is a bully especially when he has got minders to protect him. Although i have to admit that the show did in my opinion help the likes of drug addicts + alcoholics and bring long lost family members back together etc. Its a pity that the show didn't let on just how many did successfully go through the rehabilitation process and how many failed. Another mistake the show made was their pathetic aftercare.

Surely the bosses at ITV could develope a program where unfortunate members of our society could be helped and not bullied into getting a better standard of living for themselves.

Carole Cadwalladr apparently went undercover in the audience of the Jeremy Kyle show a few years ago, and it sounded horrendous. Blatant exploitation of people with mental health issues.
    Jon Ronson said similar about another UK show along the same lines

And lots of artfulness was involved...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48266570

It is/was (Who remembers Tiswas?) nasty telly with the seemingly sole aim of making the viewers feel better about their own lives by displaying the miserable circumstances of others.

The guests never appeared to be very bright and I wonder how much of it was exploitation? Were they offered cash incentives for appearing on the show?

Thanks for the link Taunton Blue Genie. Was a very interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    It is/was (Who remembers Tiswas?) nasty telly with the seemingly sole aim of making the viewers feel better about their own lives by displaying the miserable circumstances of others.

The guests never appeared to be very bright and I wonder how much of it was exploitation? Were they offered cash incentives for appearing on the show?
    Probably given drink , sorry I have to say this , its down to intellect and ones personal morals, this stuff comes from within ,no one is forced to watch or appear.

ha ha ha. Who can remember Tiswas. Those were the days, eh B. Oddie lol

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    ha ha ha. Who can remember Tiswas. Those were the days, eh B. Oddie lol
    Swap Shop.

Can still remember opposite sides of the Grange End shouting Tiswas / Swap Shop at each other

Thanks for the link Taunton Blue Genie. Was a very interesting read.
    My pleasure, old fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Carole Cadwalladr apparently went undercover in the audience of the Jeremy Kyle show a few years ago, and it sounded horrendous. Blatant exploitation of people with mental health issues.
    Jon Ronson said similar about another UK show along the same lines
    They both went to school in Cardiff. She was at Radyr and he was at Cardiff High.

old fruit lol

old fruit lol
    Didn't George Orwell write about Room lol?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They both went to school in Cardiff. She was at Radyr and he was at Cardiff High.
    They did, although neither of them play on their Cardiff connections really.
    I'm sure I read that Ronson hated his time here as he was horribly bullied.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    They did, although neither of them play on their Cardiff connections really.
    I'm sure I read that Ronson hated his time here as he was horribly bullied.
    Yeah, he doesn't really like coming back to Cardiff (but think he is at St Davids Hall this week).

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Apparently just beer and fags.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Probably given drink , sorry I have to say this , its down to intellect and ones personal morals, this stuff comes from within ,no one is forced to watch or appear.
    Watched the show whilst on the treadmill at the gym - made the time go much quicker, though at times felt I was watching a different species

It seemed to be Jeremy "righteous" Kyle shouting at people in their worst moment hen this repeated for the next story. They then got told they would be helped or they stormed off stage with cameras following so the presenter could act smug again. I really don't get why it was so popular with students, it was almost as stereotypically popular as Nandos at one point.

Jeremy Kyle is trash tv but everyone knows what is going to happen when you go on there. Everyone has a choice , it's as simple as nah I will leave it thanks.

Can anyone say what happened wouldn't have happened anyway. Whilst it's a tradgedy for the friends of those involved I don't think it's fair to leave this on someone else's head.

Jeremy Kyle is a hypocrite and a bit of a **** but people die and sadly it's horrible but life can be difficult, people are going to be upset by lots of things we can't stop that

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Jeremy Kyle is trash tv but everyone knows what is going to happen when you go on there. Everyone has a choice , it's as simple as nah I will leave it thanks.

Can anyone say what happened wouldn't have happened anyway. Whilst it's a tradgedy for the friends of those involved I don't think it's fair to leave this on someone else's head.

Jeremy Kyle is a hypocrite and a bit of a **** but people die and sadly it's horrible but life can be difficult, people are going to be upset by lots of things we can't stop that
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e9bd698d76c4ba

The worst thing about this is they use polygraph tests which are very easily manipulated and aren't always accurate. Add to that tosser berating you in front of a live audience (whether the lie detector is true or not doesn't matter, if it comes back painting a guest in a negative light, Jeremy hounds them) and millions on telly it really does beg the question why this was took a death for it to be cancelled.

He and his team prey on vulnerable, poor and mentally ill, shocked ITV are going to carry on working with him