Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
Out of interest how much did Labour Pledge to the NHS in Ed Millibands manifesto ?

You can still give you kids your inheritance - just make sure you plan carefully

I have a friend who has dementia, luckily his pension and his rental income will pay for their care. He is lucky.

Previously you worked until you were 65, retired - lasted 5 or 10 years - and that was it. Today thanks to modern medicine and lifestyle that is no longer the case . BUT it also means that the pension model is no longer economically fit for purpose. Some people who retired at 60 may be drawing on their pension until they are 90, so there is no way a pension with current contribution levels can pay the pension needed - the sums dont add up, and wont add up until you contribute more to your pension.
There wasn't anything Party political in my post, I blame governments of all colours.

I also think we need a grown up debate about it. The "you'll be alright with planning" line doesn't really work because many people won't plan.

People need to pay more into pensions, that is obvious. By the same token, people should have the right to die. Care homes up and down the country will have patients who would elect to die rather than putting their loved ones through a living nightmare.

If someone can make a will and testament while of sound body and mind, why can't they also make their feelings known about their wishes should they become ill.

There is a perverse logic in a High Court that switches off a life support machine against the wishes of a parent, but refuses to allow a person the opportunity to die without years of suffering.

Maybe we are hanging onto the "where there's life there's hope" phrase with too much sentimentality.