+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozoni Wam View Post
    Our stadium always was a little bit on the small side for my liking. You look at clubs with similar sized fanbase's - Leicester, Southampton, Coventry - they all built 30k+ stadiums right off the bat and sure enough it wasn't long before we needed a bigger stadium. Having said that, we couldn't have picked a worse time to go ahead with the expansion. Pretty much summed up just how out of touch Tan was at the time.
    The plans were in place for the expansion two years prior and I’m sure it was decided to go ahead to enable us to hoste UEFA finals and wales games.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    The plans were in place for the expansion two years prior and I’m sure it was decided to go ahead to enable us to hoste UEFA finals and wales games.
    Where the hell did this myth come from? I see it regurgitated on here all the time. We had already been awarded the Super Cup. The super cup has always been played at smaller venues historically and our stadium was already more than big enough already.

And its called the Cardiff City stadium for a reason. It belongs to us, not Wales. Don't get me wrong, I am a massive Wales fan and everything but its not and never will be the national stadium and we shouldn't be making it bigger to suit them and if that was the reason behind it then the club need shooting as the club have been playing in a half empty stadium ever since!

Where the hell did this myth come from? I see it regurgitated on here all the time. We had already been awarded the Super Cup. The super cup has always been played at smaller venues historically and our stadium was already more than big enough already.

And its called the Cardiff City stadium for a reason. It belongs to us, not Wales. Don't get me wrong, I am a massive Wales fan and everything but its not and never will be the national stadium and we shouldn't be making it bigger to suit them and if that was the reason behind it then the club need shooting as the club have been playing in a half empty stadium ever since!
    I had also heard it was being part-funded by UEFA but all I can find to support this is the following:

http://www.footballforums.net/thread...ansion.242888/

"With the 2014 Super Cup being held at the CCS , I am led to believe that Mr Platini and his friends have earmarked a considerable amount of money for the Cardiff City board to to help with specific stadium upgrades which would be required to host the match.

Work will start on the expansion of Cardiff City stadium this September and will be completed ahead of the 2014/15 season.The initial first stage will take the stadium capacity to 32,500.5,000 seats will be added to the Ninian Stand and a pub like seated area in the concourse area for 1,000 people.The roof of the Ninian Stand will be higher than other parts of the stadium as a result.You will not see any seats added to the main bowl until next summer but will see preparation work underway from September.The plan is to have 27,500 capacity for this season.Phase 2 will see the the Canton End and Grange End extended by upto 3,000 extra seats per stand taking the capacity to 38,500.Phase 3 will see the corners filled in to take the capacity to over 42,000.All this is hoped to be completed within 2 years.The initial cost is £12m."

So it might still just be a myth...

we shouldn't be making it bigger to suit them and if that was the reason behind it then the club need shooting as the club have been playing in a half empty stadium ever since!
    It was almost as bad as playing in a 3/4 empty Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    It was almost as bad as playing in a 3/4 empty Ninian Park.

A club needs to expand its capacity in order to attract new supporters. Its all very well waiting to ensure we stay up, but if we do stay up, we are losing an income stream. If we go down, those extra seats are there for next time we come up, so are an investment.