Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
I certainly miss the sense of community that existed, having spent a fair bit of my youth in exactly the same type of houses in Adamsdown. The lack of a bathroom was an issue...tin bath in front of the fire or a "swill in the trough" (sink...my gramp used to pronounce it "tro"). Break the ice off the lav in winter and cut up newspaper on a string. If the buildings were sound, but in need of upgrading, there was no need to knock them down. In the early 80's (I think), such houses were improved through an envelope scheme, new double glazing and roofs, paid for by the council. Grid iron roads were altered to reduce through traffic, trees planted and traffic calmed. What remains of these have now shot up in price. So, to answer your question, I certainly wouldn't mind living in one now and have a definite sense of nostalgia, maybe misplaced, for the properties as was. Doors always open, kettle on the stove for a cuppa and bakestones on the go. Share the bingo winnings with the neighbours, who were probably relatives. Days long gone.
We have a laugh now about the phrase ‘We always left our front door open’..........we had f*ck all to pinch