+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: anyone done a tour of the WW 1 / 2 sites in Europe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: anyone done a tour of the WW 1 / 2 sites in Europe

thanks folks, keep em coming

NYCBlue, we went to 9/11 with a sense of remembrance, somewhat like remembrance Sunday ( we go every year )

Sure we did not know anyone who was effected by 9/11, that did not matter, the only bit of the memorial that felt that we were intruding was the center square bit where family member / friends read bits about people they had lost ( it was recorded readings ) , I felt this could have done with a polite notice to say that it was a private space for family members / friends of the deceased / effected

I went to the 9/11 site last year. It's like an atttraction that you must go to.

I felt I needed to take a minute there and absord the enormity of the history. I paid my respects and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    thanks folks, keep em coming

NYCBlue, we went to 9/11 with a sense of remembrance, somewhat like remembrance Sunday ( we go every year )

Sure we did not know anyone who was effected by 9/11, that did not matter, the only bit of the memorial that felt that we were intruding was the center square bit where family member / friends read bits about people they had lost ( it was recorded readings ) , I felt this could have done with a polite notice to say that it was a private space for family members / friends of the deceased / effected
    I'm not being critical. It's just something I don't understand. I've never been to the 9/11 memeorial myself. I doubt I ever will. Just driving past it is enough for me. I don't think I could cope with Auschwitz or Oradour-sur-Glane.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm not being critical. It's just something I don't understand. I've never been to the 9/11 memeorial myself. I doubt I ever will. Just driving past it is enough for me. I don't think I could cope with Auschwitz or Oradour-sur-Glane.
    I agree. Have been to Oradour and also stopped at several WW1 cemeteries when travelling in Northern France. Remember one where the road goes right through the middle and [nearly] every driver slows to a crawl as they go through it. However -and this isn't a go at the original poster - seems that there's a section of society that thinks it's good for people - children especially - to be confronted by these horrific images [Auschwitz] etc. Personally if I were a 16yr old I'd rather go skiing...

I wasnt taking it as you being critical my mrs is of the same thoughts as you ( after she went to 9/11 and wanted to go as part of our trip ) about the WW memorials / sites, i can see why though

I'm not being critical. It's just something I don't understand.
    I agree with this too. I am in no way suggesting that people shouldn't go or that it is wrong or whatever, I just cannot really understand why anyone would ever want to do so. I've lived very near some sites of concentration camps in Germany but I didn't go and see them and I can't really envisage a circumstance under which I would decide to do so.

I differentiate places like Auschwitz from say the Nuernberg parade grounds though.