Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
My work involves research into healthcare organisations - we've been told today that it's clear that there will be major restrictions until the end of 2020 and possibly until March/April 2021...
Thanks for the insight. However, depending on the level of restriction - it seems unlikely that it could be enforceable for that long doesn't it? People won't be that selfless for that long. Everyone knows that panic buying is going to worsen things, but the supermarkets are full of selfish dickheads buying sacks of pasta, and this is while everything is still functioning as normal. I like to think I am a good guy, but 12 months effectively imprisoned in my own home? I'm not sure I could take that. But then the entire plan is to lengthen it so that it's manageable, so I am sure you are right.

The world needs a pause button if we are all electing to stop economic activity for 12 months though. This would be impossible to implement for about a gazillion reasons, but we would need to freeze interest on all debt; freeze rent and mortgage payments. Keep vital public services going, and allow private sector to choose between fighting on, or shutting up shop for a year with guaranteed return to work rights for employees and contractors, who in the meantime work for the public sector on fixed pay doing whatever it is that needs doing so we can all go back to normal (or perhaps a slightly more cooperative social version of normal). It would be more complex than Brexit and feel a lot like war. But the alternative would be what? How many businesses or people can survive a year of nothing?