I've always liked Mick McCarthy as a person and I've never really understood his 'dour' reputation. He's always seemed to have a really good sense of humour to me. He's also always come across as a genuinely decent, down-to-earth guy and an honest man who doesn't talk bullshit. I really like all of those things about him and always have. I find McCarthy a distinct contrast to Neil Warnock, who's an interesting and amusing character for sure, but also dislikeable in many respects.

Big Mick has done a great job since he arrived here. Those who backed Neil Harris continuously must be feeling really foolish now, especially after last night's game. What a contrast to the meek surrender at the CCS in December, with Harris outcast Flint scoring the goal and Bacuna nowhere near the right-back berth.

The football itself is still dreadful, though. I've watched City three times in a little over a week and they've been abysmal. The notion of the side keeping to the basics and playing within its limitations has been stretched to the extremes in the games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea. To say City rode their luck in those matches is an understatement and quality of football has been truly appalling.

It's difficult to judge McCarthy in terms of the football at present as he's only working with what he inherited and he's getting very decent results under the circumstances. But I really hope we'll see a genuine improvement in style next season, because this lot are painful to watch much of the time.