+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Prison Justice served ? ? ? return of the death sentence ? ? ?

Re: Prison Justice served ? ? ? return of the death sentence ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    This is just quick puzzle so forget the false negative. Just imagine there is only a false positive. What is the chance that you are really drunk?
    1 in 50

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Splott Dai was nutty but he wasn't this nutty was he? Ask David Vincent if he's ever been shot in the arse
    Say "Zionism" 3 times while looking in the mirror and see if David Vincent appears behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    1 in 50
    Good. You've been stopped by the police and you've failed the 95% reliable breathalyzer test but it is very unlikely that you are drunk. That would surprise a lot of people.

Now for an extra point can anyone see the relevance of my little puzzle to the Savile case.

Also if anyone read the Anna Racoon article where she casts doubt on the complaint by Savile's relation has their confidence in Savile's guilt been diminished in any way, e.g. gone from 100% guilty to 99% guilty. If your belief in his guilt is just based on feelings and not evidence then I wouldn't expect any change.

Hold on....Anna Racoon says Savile is innocent. Anna Racoon! This is a gamechanger. Once Anna Racoon gets involved, you know it's a roller coaster. I'm ready to change my mind on anything when I get stuck into the one and only Anna Racoon's blog.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Hold on....Anna Racoon says Savile is innocent. Anna Racoon! This is a gamechanger. Once Anna Racoon gets involved, you know it's a roller coaster. I'm ready to change my mind on anything when I get stuck into the one and only Anna Racoon's blog.
    And I always thought Cyril Sneer was the bad guy

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Surely that argument blows any argument for the death penalty away. Why would you ever want an innocent person killed even if the chance is miniscule?

The chances of winning the lottery are 1 in 14 million. If you think our criminal justice system is that accurate you must be even more off your nut than you've come across in this thread.
    Whatever system you have innocent people will be killed. If your sole argument against the death penalty is innocent people being killed then you should be for the death penalty. The deterrent effect will save many innocents from death and also you will not have murderers being let out or escaping and killing again.

I didn't mean there is a one a billion chance of a miscarriage of justice under the present system. I meant that even if we have an almost failproof system - e.g. everyone watched all the time with CCTV - we will still have glitches that will lead to people being punished unfairly. At the moment our system is so hopeless that all it takes is for some unstable person to shout "witch" or "paedo" and to point the finger and you are in big trouble.

The idea that Savile is guilty of nothing more than being a groper like many entertainment people from the 1960s and 1970s is not insane. There are sites like the following where this is claimed. Don't forget that until a few years ago millions of readers of The Sun leered at topless pictures of 16 years olds. Sexual harassment was standard fare in many offices and factories.

http://rabbitaway.blogspot.com/

http://jimcannotfixthis.blogspot.com/

Carl Beech, helped by Tom Watson MP, said that Savile tortured him. Beech said the same about the heads of MI5, MI6, the head of the army and his assistant, a former Prime Minister and other politicians. Beech was given £20k without having to prove anything. Most of the money Savile left for charities went to lawyers and the rest went to anyone who said he or she was a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    And I always thought Cyril Sneer was the bad guy
    Steady, people have feelings you know!

Whatever system you have innocent people will be killed. If your sole argument against the death penalty is innocent people being killed then you should be for the death penalty. The deterrent effect will save many innocents from death and also you will not have murderers being let out or escaping and killing again.

I didn't mean there is a one a billion chance of a miscarriage of justice under the present system. I meant that even if we have an almost failproof system - e.g. everyone watched all the time with CCTV - we will still have glitches that will lead to people being punished unfairly. At the moment our system is so hopeless that all it takes is for some unstable person to shout "witch" or "paedo" and to point the finger and you are in big trouble.

The idea that Savile is guilty of nothing more than being a groper like many entertainment people from the 1960s and 1970s is not insane. There are sites like the following where this is claimed. Don't forget that until a few years ago millions of readers of The Sun leered at topless pictures of 16 years olds. Sexual harassment was standard fare in many offices and factories.

Carl Beech, helped by Tom Watson MP, said that Savile tortured him. Beech said the same about the heads of MI5, MI6, the head of the army and his assistant, a former Prime Minister and other politicians. Beech was given £20k without having to prove anything. Most of the money Savile left for charities went to lawyers and the rest went to anyone who said he or she was a victim.
    Do you want to buy some magic beans?

http://buysomemagicbeans.blogspot.com/

This site says they are really good.

The states in the US with the death penalty have a higher crime rate the the states without it so if your one point is that it’s a deterrent you’ve already lost.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Do one. Pansy man.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You 2 get a room x

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You 2 get a room x
    It’s funny. I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    The states in the US with the death penalty have a higher crime rate the the states without it so if your one point is that it’s a deterrent you’ve already lost.
    I believe murderers deserve to die. If executing murderers reduces murder then that is a plus but it is not my reason for believing in capital punishment for murder.

Your claim about different crime rates in states with and without the death penalty might be true. I don't know. But after a quick look a map showing which states have the death penalty I can see that the non-death penalty states are mainly in the north and they are on average more prosperous than the death penalty states. There is usually more crime and murder in poorer places. There are far more variables involved in this difference in crime rates other than the presence or absence of capital punishment. But who knows how much more crime you would have in these poor places if they didn't have capital punishment.

Every sane person knows the death penalty is a deterrent. Think about someone you really hate and want to kill. You are an eighteen year old and in one universe you can kill this person and serve about 15 years in the relative discomfort of a prison. When you come out at 33 you are still a young man. In the second universe you kill and then you are executed. Your life is over before it has really started. Far more people would be tempted to kill in the first universe.

It is proven to not be a deterrent. Do you think someone who’s thinking about murdering someone is in the state of mind where they think “better not do this I might get in trouble?”

I’m not for the death penalty, but I don’t think most people who are, are thinking of it being a deterrent.
    More like a waste of tax payers money to keep them in prison for the rest of their life

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’m not for the death penalty, but I don’t think most people who are, are thinking of it being a deterrent.
    More like a waste of tax payers money to keep them in prison for the rest of their life
    Death penalty costs more in tax payers’ money than a life sentence

Death penalty costs more in tax payers’ money than a life sentence
    What are the costs?

Seems mad that an injection costs more than 50 years in prison.

I feel that I have entered an alternative universe. Nurse! Nurse!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What are the costs?

Seems mad that an injection costs more than 50 years in prison.
    https://www.thebalance.com/comparing...prison-4689874

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I feel that I have entered an alternative universe. Nurse! Nurse!
    I can understand why you are shouting for a nurse. From what I remember you are the poster who has been attending the same German language class for 30 years or so. You seem to be trapped in a Groundhog Day nightmare universe.

Innocent people would be saved by a death penalty because I would guess that less innocent people would be executed than innocent people murdered by killers who had been released plus innocent people saved by the death penalty deterrent. That in my mind is not the main argument for the death penalty. I was just countered someone's argument that the death penalty kills innocent people.

It is proven to not be a deterrent. Do you think someone who’s thinking about murdering someone is in the state of mind where they think “better not do this I might get in trouble?”
    Yes. Many killers are completely rational. They work out the costs and benefits of killing before they do it. The ones who are insane or extremely stupid are not executed.

I can understand why you are shouting for a nurse. From what I remember you are the poster who has been attending the same German language class for 30 years or so. You seem to be trapped in a Groundhog Day nightmare universe.

Innocent people would be saved by a death penalty because I would guess that less innocent people would be executed than innocent people murdered by killers who had been released plus innocent people saved by the death penalty deterrent. That in my mind is not the main argument for the death penalty. I was just countered someone's argument that the death penalty kills innocent people.
    Well if you are any sort of linguist you will know it's a case of 'use it or lose it' and my German lecturer is a fantastic Oxford-educated polyglot so this humble soul has no problem with learning from him every week (in addition to accessing other sources) and improving my level year-on-year. If you see that as a negative and relevant in this thread in any way whatsoever bully for you.

Personally, I think it makes you come over as being rather silly.

Yes. Many killers are completely rational. They work out the costs and benefits of killing before they do it. The ones who are insane or extremely stupid are not executed.
    That’s wrong you’re pulling everything out of your own mind. Can you not see how weird it is to have such a strong opinion that isn’t based on facts?

You’ve even argued against yourself in this thread but your opinion is too entrenched to see it.

You think all criminals are born bad.