+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: USA, Mexico and Canada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blue in the Face

Re: USA, Mexico and Canada

Thought USA 94 was an amazing world cup. It's a bit dodgy the US getting it back again so soon, but you know this would be good.

Not sure I like this host sharing thing. Dilutes the magic. Surely Canada could easily have hosted this on their own?

Re: USA, Mexico and Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Thought USA 94 was an amazing world cup. It's a bit dodgy the US getting it back again so soon, but you know this would be good.

Not sure I like this host sharing thing. Dilutes the magic. Surely Canada could easily have hosted this on their own?
    The World Cup has been to every region (some multiple times) since CONCACAF has had it last, they were due to host.

Expanding to 48 teams means you'd need to have at least 14 venues, no way Canada can pull that off. Maybe 6 stadiums, so you'd need to build brand new venues that won't be used after the World Cup, doesn't make sense.

Flying from Toronto > Mexico City is less time than flying from NY > LA so just having it in the USA isn't really any better. This way a Country like Canada, and Mexico get to also host a small percentage of matches. Due to the expanded format having 3 qualified teams wouldnt make any difference as CONCACAF will just get less spots in qualifying.

It's like Wales, we would never be able to host our own World Cup, but if we bid with England we might be able to. I don't really see a downside.