+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Washing Machine Repair

Washing Machine Repair

My Bosch washing machine has got a stuck drainage filter

I don't want to pay the £99 Bosch will charge.

Anyone know a good local washing machine engineer. Preferably cheap!!

Please.

Re: Washing Machine Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    My Bosch washing machine has got a stuck drainage filter

I don't want to pay the £99 Bosch will charge.

Anyone know a good local washing machine engineer. Preferably cheap!!

Please.
    How 'cheap' were you when you went to work?

If a ‘good’ local washing machine engineer (who isn’t family or a close family friend) is willing to call out for a lot less than £99 I’d question if he was ‘good’. Pay the £99 to Bosch for piece of mind re. Possible further problems. £99 seems reasonable to me, very reasonable.

Buy a new f ucker, preferably not Bosch

Can you not do it yourself? It's usually in the bottom right and will likely be a coin or bra wire (if that's your sort of thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How 'cheap' were you when you went to work?
    Nowhere near £99 for what I reckon is about 15 mins work to someone who knows what he is doing.

Reckon I would be on about £30 an hour if I was working now.

I was a computer analyst programmer for BT

Nowhere near £99 for what I reckon is about 15 mins work to someone who knows what he is doing.

Reckon I would be on about £30 an hour if I was working now
    15 minutes work. Could be longer. There's time spent travelling. The company will get a percentage cut. If the guy is self employed and contracted to Bosch he'll have things like his own pension to pay, he won't get sick pay etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    15 minutes work. Could be longer. There's time spent travelling. The company will get a percentage cut. If the guy is self employed and contracted to Bosch he'll have things like his own pension to pay, he won't get sick pay etc.
    They're almost always subbies. No pension, holiday pay, sick pay. People need to realise that he or she has to factor that into their price and they have to pay. Add to that personal insurance, business insurance, public liability, shit loads of travelling and then your van breaks down, and if there's a problem it's you getting the phone call at 9pm

Thinly veiled I don't have a Curry's own brand.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Can you not do it yourself? It's usually in the bottom right and will likely be a coin or bra wire (if that's your sort of thing).
    No the filter is stuck and I can't get down to unscrew the plate round pull out the front panel slightly then reach round to clear the hose from behind.

I'd never get up again with my legs!

Look it up on YouTube. You can do it yourself.

Are people always like this on here?

Correct, self employed Jeff will pay 20% tax, probably get away with minimum contribution to NI monthly and won’t have holiday pay but that’s WHY they earn at a higher rate.

There usually are people who can come round for a lot less than these big companies quote and STILL make a bit of money.

Is everyone ****ing perfect on here or what?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

Correct, self employed Jeff will pay 20% tax, probably get away with minimum contribution to NI monthly and won’t have holiday pay but that’s WHY they earn at a higher rate.

There usually are people who can come round for a lot less than these big companies quote and STILL make a bit of money.

It's that simple, isn't it?

It's that simple, isn't it?
    Not sure what you’re getting at.

Self employed workers charge more, they know they don’t get holiday pay. I’ve done it for years.

I didn’t say it was that simple, but there’ll certainly be plenty out there cheaper than £99 AND they’ll earn what they want to charge.

Self employed workers charge more, they know they don’t get holiday pay. I’ve done it for years.

I didn’t say it was that simple, but there’ll certainly be plenty out there cheaper than £99 AND they’ll earn what they want to charge.
    Alot of people who are self employed end up doing so because there isn't much alternative. I was for 25 years, in the building trade. We don't charge more, if you end up on site then the contractor usually sets the price, or the market if you like, and the market isn't really set up for those who actually put the work in. If you've been self employed then you'll know how much work you have to put in for free, like pricing up jobs, paperwork etc. when all taken into account you can end up working 80-90 hours a week. I'm sure that Elwood will find someone cheaper, there's always somebody cheaper, although that doesn't always constitute value for money in the same way as paying top dollar always doesn't. He's got a problem that he can't fix, he doesn't have the knowledge or the skills, i'd say that £99 is reasonable enough.

If only life on here was that simple.
    The OP was only asking if anyone knew a local domestic engineer Or handyman who would sort his problem out for a cash in hand hobble, or less than £99.
    You’d think that only someone who knew somebody who’d be interested would reply.
    No danger! You get pissed up goons advising him to get a new machine to Harry Enfield character “you don’t want to be doing that” to financial experts who give a fiscal breakdown of a call out.
    You gotta love it on here 😁

The thing is though Bosch have quoted you £99 I presume without seeing what’s required and they may honour that if it gets a bit more complicated, the lad who’s sent out may be a self employed contractor who works constantly for them and can take a hit on the odd repair as a ‘swings & roundabouts’ situation. The scenario you want is a one man band taking the job on for say £75, which after his overheads (van, tools, insurances, lack of benefits etc) would mean it may come down to the fifty quid mark say. The latter operative’s nightmare is that the job escalates, as they very often do, and he has to approach you for more money, situations like this on occasions become a bit messy. £99 for Bosch to do it is a small price to pay just for their bill headed paperwork alone.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If only life on here was that simple.
    The OP was only asking if anyone knew a local domestic engineer Or handyman who would sort his problem out for a cash in hand hobble, or less than £99.
    You’d think that only someone who knew somebody who’d be interested would reply.
    No danger! You get pissed up goons advising him to get a new machine to Harry Enfield character “you don’t want to be doing that” to financial experts who give a fiscal breakdown of a call out.
    You gotta love it on here ��

I’m under the impression that it’s called advice, something this board has handed out on many occasion, some wisely, some not so. I’m sure the O.P. posted with the intention of receiving this, your post must have helped him no end.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m under the impression that it’s called advice, something this board has handed out on many occasion, some wisely, some not so. I’m sure the O.P. posted with the intention of receiving this, your post must have helped him no end.
    He is just asking if anyone knows anyone who would do it cheaper. As simple as that.
    He probably doesn’t want the war and piece version.
    I’m a self employed tradesman, so I know all the ins and outs.

No the filter is stuck and I can't get down to unscrew the plate round pull out the front panel slightly then reach round to clear the hose from behind.

I'd never get up again with my legs!
    Most brands make their washing machines a bastard to fix these days to coerce you into calling one of their engineers out. Same with cars as well.

Be mindful of getting someone in off the books though. If it goes tits up, you'll end up paying a lot more in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    He is just asking if anyone knows anyone who would do it cheaper. As simple as that.
    He probably doesn’t want the war and piece version.
    I’m a self employed tradesman, so I know all the ins and outs.
    If you know all the ins and outs, give him a peace of advice then

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If you know all the ins and outs, give him a peace of advice then
    I’ve PM’d him and said I’d do it for £98 😁

Alot of people who are self employed end up doiIng so because there isn't much alternative. I was for 25 years, in the building trade. We don't charge more, if you end up on site then the contractor usually sets the price, or the market if you like, and the market isn't really set up for those who actually put the work in. If you've been self employed then you'll know how much work you have to put in for free, like pricing up jobs, paperwork etc. when all taken into account you can end up working 80-90 hours a week. I'm sure that Elwood will find someone cheaper, there's always somebody cheaper, although that doesn't always constitute value for money in the same way as paying top dollar always doesn't. He's got a problem that he can't fix, he doesn't have the knowledge or the skills, i'd say that £99 is reasonable enough.
    I do have the knowledge, I do probably have(or did have the skills)but if you had bothered reading my response above I have problems getting down to the work due to my legs Oh and my hands are getting a bit stiff as well.

All I am trying to do is make my pension stretch a bit further by putting a bit of work in the way of a decent local tradesman

And perhaps I should have said cheaper rather than cheap.

When I have seen similar threads before usually people have provided a name some helpful advice

I get people who seem to think I am trying to fleece the working and should.think I should be grateful for paying a hundred quid for a 15 to 20 minute job with no parts needed.

That doesn't apply to all of you of course.

[QUOTE=Elwood Blues;5011808]I do have the knowledge, I do probably have(or did have the skills)but if you had bothered reading my response above I have problems getting down to the work due to my legs Oh and my hands are getting a bit stiff as well.

All I am trying to do is make my pension stretch a bit further by putting a bit of work in the way of a decent local tradesman

And perhaps I should have said cheaper rather than cheap.

When I have seen similar threads before usually people have provided a name some helpful advice

I get people who seem to think I am trying to fleece the working and should.think I should be grateful for paying a hundred quid for a 15 to 20 minute job with no parts needed.

That doesn't apply to all of you of course.[/QUOTE

You'll get no sympathy out of me, you used the 'C' word Good luck in finding someone to do your job.

Just do it yourself. It'll take you three minutes.
    Open the little door and unscrew it till it comes free then clear out whatever crap is blocking it and screw it back in.

The trick is to put a load of preferably dirty laundry on the floor to absorb the water which will piss out when you take the tube out then bung it straight into the machine once it's working and wash it. Mop up the excess and there you go !

Don't pay some monkey £90 to do that ! If I was in Wales I'd come round and do it for you but it's completely easy