+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The " 'diff "....

The " 'diff "....

Does anybody on here actually use this term to describe Cardiff? Where exactly did it come from?

Re: The " 'diff "....

Students...probably.

The same ones who use the term chippy alley 😭

Cringeworthy

Probably the same people who use the term "Can I get" in shops!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Students...probably.
    Nelsonca61 is no student. See #56 on the Traffic Queue Jumpers thread. Shocked me that did.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Do they take shortcuts as well ??

Invented by students and visitors like ‘Chippy Lane’.

One of the many nuances creeping in to everyday use which I cannot stand.

I'll give you a few more examples:

"So, I was getting on the train..."

"OK, something's not right..."

"Sorry, but I disagree with you..."

This is one thing that can't be blamed on the Millennials either. I listen to the radio a lot, mainly BBC Radio 5 and there are grown men talking that way, mainly that Nihal Arthanayake who's surely in his 40s.

These people use it:

http://www.ilovesthediff.com/

Imo, anyone from Cardiff, or living in Cardiff who uses the terms Diff and Chippy Lane, should be banished from our great city for ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    One of the many nuances creeping in to everyday use which I cannot stand.

I'll give you a few more examples:

"So, I was getting on the train..."

"OK, something's not right..."

"Sorry, but I disagree with you..."

This is one thing that can't be blamed on the Millennials either. I listen to the radio a lot, mainly BBC Radio 5 and there are grown men talking that way, mainly that Nihal Arthanayake who's surely in his 40s.
    Anyone who puts "Yeah' on the end of every sentence.

'So I'm on my way to work yeah'

Wankers!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Imo, anyone from Cardiff, or living in Cardiff who uses the terms Diff and Chippy Lane, should be banished from our great city for ever!!
    Ummm it's "Chip Alley" to me, but as I'm not from Cardiff so I'm allowed to call it that aren't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Ummm it's "Chip Alley" to me, but as I'm not from Cardiff so I'm allowed to call it that aren't I?
    Caroline Street

Really hate to hear that. Can I get a pint of carling. My reply would be, no I'll get it for you because you don't work here . And beginning a sentence with so. Where the hell did that come from!!! I grew up with the word diff being short for difference and it will always remain that. Its Cardiff for me or failing that the city.

Who cares what the kids want to call it, you bunch of old farts.

Although can we all agree that my colleague who calls Caroline Street "Chip shop alley" is completely unacceptable.

The diff = people who allow protesters to sit on city-centre main roads, even buying them coffees; unlike folk who haul protesters from train roofs and give them a kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    These people use it:

http://www.ilovesthediff.com/
    For goodness' sake.

I love to see small businesses doing well, but I really hope that site fails. What an abomination.

Of course it is not called "the 'diff". My wife studied in Cardiff (rather than growing up there) and she doesn't recognise it either. She does call Caroline Street "chippy lane" which is obviously unacceptable, but i think we'd get divorced if she said "the 'diff".

I do think that both are different to "can I get", though. There are lots of examples of people twisting/americanising the English language, but they are different (and less offensive) than strangers renaming parts of our city for no good reason and with no basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The diff = people who allow protesters to sit on city-centre main roads, even buying them coffees; unlike folk who haul protesters from train roofs and give them a kicking.
    hark at billy big balls over here

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    hark at billy big balls over here
    It might have been all that was left when K..R was unceremoniously removed from our chant of the 70/80s

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    For goodness' sake.

I love to see small businesses doing well, but I really hope that site fails. What an abomination.

Of course it is not called "the 'diff". My wife studied in Cardiff (rather than growing up there) and she doesn't recognise it either. She does call Caroline Street "chippy lane" which is obviously unacceptable, but i think we'd get divorced if she said "the 'diff".

I do think that both are different to "can I get", though. There are lots of examples of people twisting/americanising the English language, but they are different (and less offensive) than strangers renaming parts of our city for no good reason and with no basis.
    Well, I likes it, I does...

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Invented by students and visitors like ‘Chippy Lane’.
    No it wasn’t, used by locals in 50’s and 60’s.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No it wasn’t, used by locals in 50’s and 60’s.
    I never heard it then, ever!!

International

The other thing I hate is when people, usually youngsters are relating a conversation, and every thing said by each individual is prefaced with, "She turned round and said...." "and I turned round and said..." " Then she turned round and said...."

I can't concentrate on what I'm being told as I have this vision of people revovling in the middle of the pavement or the pub or where ever

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The other thing I hate is when people, usually youngsters are relating a conversation, and every thing said by each individual is prefaced with, "She turned round and said...." "and I turned round and said..." " Then she turned round and said...."

I can't concentrate on what I'm being told as I have this vision of people revovling in the middle of the pavement or the pub or where ever
    Ha ha this has always annoyed me as well, a very dizzy conversation if you ask me.