Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
These things are always debatable - ask any Estate Agent. Some people call parts of Pentwyn and Llanedeyrn Cyncoed which it clearly is not. No doubt if an estate agent was marketing a house Kings Road would become Pontcanna.
I was involved in a project defining sea areas as distinct and defined polygons that would be used in 'intelligent' navigational systems. It was a matter of doing as much research as one could but then using one's own initiative and making arbitrary decisons. Prior to the project, such areas were not usually defined specifically and were simply legends on analogue (i.e. paper) sources. Thanks to people like me ('God help us' I hear you cry!) the English Channel and the like stop at a very specific vector line between certain points.

No doubt the same has happened in digital mapping where boundaries weren't already introduced for voting purposes, post codes and the like (and post codes were introduced by Royal Mail, I believe, and which is not an official mapping authority).

By the way, my response to the left/right comment above was a bit playful as we all know what the poster meant. However, not all maps and charts have north the top - and the word 'orientation' came from the days when east was at the top, east being the centre of the Christian, European world (due to the location of the Holy Land) and Orient meaning 'east'.