Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
What canals ?
From the photo I saw attached to the article about it, it is in fact the feeder which was bled off the River to feed the Alexandra (I think) dock to keep the water level up at low tide.
It also provided water to the castle moat.
It still flows behind the castle under Kingsway, along the back of Greyfriars road behind the railings, then it goes under Park Place and turns right and flows underground down the back of the park hotel and straight down the middle of Churchill Way. That part was covered up in the early 70's I think but is still there. It the goes underground again but comes out at the hump back bridge on Hurbert Street before feeding into the dock.
If you look on Google you can see where it is still above ground in blackweir/Bute Park and then after Kingsway. The bit that goes under Kingsway has always be covered I believe. It starts where the river bridge crosses from Pontcanna to Balckweir.
The old Glamorganshire canal is long long gone and there was another but that is also gone.
The Glamorganshire canal came down from the valleys and had one of the longest series of locks ever built. It flowed past the old Melingriffith tin works and round Haley Park, crossing the Road at the Cow and Snuffers before flowing down on the edge of what is now Gabalfa.