+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brexit trade deals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Brexit trade deals

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Which of these tells you where their chicken comes from?

We have an ArchDuke of Brexit as a British Minister of State explicitly stating that the UK will not lower its standards and will only raise them in relation to a US Trade deal and now we have the Prime Minister's Office saying totally the opposite. Still we hold all the cards eh!
    none, but it shows that it is possible for the UK to label food so the end consumer can made decisions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    none, but it shows that it is possible for the UK to label food so the end consumer can made decisions
    How do you know that the Americans won't insist on not labelling it that way? We won't have to adhere to the EU Labelling laws and regulations post Brexit. There will be new labelling guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    How do you know that the Americans won't insist on not labelling it that way? We won't have to adhere to the EU Labelling laws and regulations post Brexit. There will be new labelling guidelines.
    we dont know what the Americans will insist on, so your point is rather moot

Banned

we dont know what the Americans will insist on, so your point is rather moot
    It isn't, really, considering how the Americans have insisted on the absence of detail in labelling in other trade deals.

However, whilst you are concentrating on chlorinated chicken, may I also bring to your limited attention span other foodstuffs that could potentially flood the UK market - forcing our own farmers either out of business, or to lower their own standards to compete.

Meat from animals fed steroids, hormones and antibiotics (the rise of antibiotic use in farming is a cause of some bacteria starting to show resistance to all but the strongest of anti-biotics. We don't really need to see what would happen in the case of bacterium evolving to be anti-biotic resistant do we?)

Milk that has double the somatic cells that we are allow in this country. Do you like pus in your tea?

Baby food that has no specific regulations.

And, the US has been trying to lead us away from practices that protect items such as Stilton Cheese and Cornish Pasties.

All this is great news for our farmers, I am sure you'll agree. Oh yes, options, we all have them don't we? Unless we are so skint, we buy the cheapest food available.

Doesn't the FSA have some UK input into how food is labelled?

It's almost like the people who brought us Brexit rebelling against the institutions who put labels on everything and told us how bendy our bananas should be are going to start putting labels on everything and saying how chlorinated our chicken is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It's almost like the people who brought us Brexit rebelling against the institutions who put labels on everything and told us how bendy our bananas should be are going to start putting labels on everything and saying how chlorinated our chicken is.
    In fact, I think one of the only rules (there were 18 from memory) forced on the UK by the EU was to include the ingredient aspartame in labelling of sugar-free soft drinks. If the UK had their way, we would be drinking diet-coke without knowing whether or not aspartame was an active ingredient.

Indeed. The likelihood, as it is now, is that people will choose the cheapest option. The whole 'buy British' mantra is a dead duck from the start, most people don't care where their food comes from as long as it's cheap.

Cheaper meat imports are bad news for British farmers.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. The likelihood, as it is now, is that people will choose the cheapest option. The whole 'buy British' mantra is a dead duck from the start, most people don't care where their food comes from as long as it's cheap.

Cheaper meat imports are bad news for British farmers.
    I disagree with that. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but meat is one of the things I do not by based on its cheapness. I never by pre-packed meat unless nothing else is available. I always buy it fresh, including my chicken. I only use large free range eggs.
    As for take-aways I live in Llandaff and the local curry house does take-aways. I love chicken rogan josh but I won't buy it there because the use cubes of reconstituted chicken. I buy my rogan at the Fairwater Tandoori because they use proper pieces of chicken that is recognisable as chicken, sometimes it even has bones in it.
    There are a lot of people who still use traditional butchers (some even drive to Brecon to do it) and the extra cost is worth it because if you are paying that much for something anyway the extra couple of bob are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I disagree with that. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but meat is one of the things I do not by based on its cheapness. I never by pre-packed meat unless nothing else is available. I always buy it fresh, including my chicken. I only use large free range eggs.
    As for take-aways I live in Llandaff and the local curry house does take-aways. I love chicken rogan josh but I won't buy it there because the use cubes of reconstituted chicken. I buy my rogan at the Fairwater Tandoori because they use proper pieces of chicken that is recognisable as chicken, sometimes it even has bones in it.
    There are a lot of people who still use traditional butchers (some even drive to Brecon to do it) and the extra cost is worth it because if you are paying that much for something anyway the extra couple of bob are worth it.
    Come on, most people buy everything in supermarkets. I reckon if you had one fridge with British chicken at £4 for a large chicken, and in the next fridge, large chickens with no information on them at £3, most people would buy the £3 ones.

My experience of supermarket meat buying during the lockdown is that essentials or the best things get bought first.

I have two decent meat stalls in my local market and I buy things from them occasionally. Paying the extra is worth it for me. A third similar stall closed down last year as there wasn't the business.

In your argument all you kept saying was what you do. I'm looking at what I see lots of other people doing.

International

Come on, most people buy everything in supermarkets. I reckon if you had one fridge with British chicken at £4 for a large chicken, and in the next fridge, large chickens with no information on them at £3, most people would buy the £3 ones.

My experience of supermarket meat buying during the lockdown is that essentials or the best things get bought first.

I have two decent meat stalls in my local market and I buy things from them occasionally. Paying the extra is worth it for me. A third similar stall closed down last year as there wasn't the business.

In your argument all you kept saying was what you do. I'm looking at what I see lots of other people doing.
    I can only say what I do, what else would you expect me to say? Like you I use butchers, (so you're agreeing with me there) and don't buy my meat in supermarkets or prewrapped, and that includes burgers. And while I'm using those butchers I see lots of other people using them too, that's why they still exist.
    You say you look at what you see lots of other people doing and then offer only an opinon on the £3 or £4 chicken.
    But I think if I said the sun was hot you'd argue about the temprature.

Banned

I can only say what I do, what else would you expect me to say?
    That is fine, but it is wrong to then assume that no-one will buy meat based purely on price.

International

That is fine, but it is wrong to then assume that no-one will buy meat based purely on price.

Banned

The fact you can do that is great, but it also shows you are in fact rich in comparison to some who cannot exercise that choice. They're also the same people who cannot resign out of principle. I'd say you are fairly privileged in comparison.

International

The fact you can do that is great, but it also shows you are in fact rich in comparison to some who cannot exercise that choice. They're also the same people who cannot resign out of principle. I'd say you are fairly privileged in comparison.

Just proves once again how dismissive you are of people outside of your bubble.

Banned

He thinks he is proving a point, but the point he is proving is different to the one he is making.

International

And hoe dismissive you are of anyone that seeks to question your opinions. It works both ways, what you said you do broadly agreed with what I said I do but you still had to couch it antagonistically.

He said most people. That is true.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He said most people. That is true.
    Probably, but not him and not me.

Probably, but not him and not me.
    If 'probably' why did you say 'i disagree'?

First Team

Bollocks. People like you think those on universal credit have a choice. You are deluded.

Yes and your daughters can choose whether they use cosmetics with all sorts of potentially harmful ingredients in, as long as they read the label that is.

If Brexit causes us to go from a country with high public health and environmental standards and specifications to one with regulations as relaxed as America then that will be shameful.

First Team

I imagine the US will insist on non-discriminatory labeling (country of origin unidentifiable) and the Tory boys will roll over at President Tweety's command.