+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

looks like car manufacturers , weapon manufacturers i would guess aerospace in this country will be switching to producing ventilators soon under measures being drawn up by the government in the coming weeks .isolation for under 70's soon too

i,m currently involved in setting up production lines in that field so guess my role is going to change very soon !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    looks like car manufacturers , weapon manufacturers i would guess aerospace in this country will be switching to producing ventilators soon under measures being drawn up by the government in the coming weeks .isolation for under 70's soon too

i,m currently involved in setting up production lines in that field so guess my role is going to change very soon !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

Swords into ploughshares? We might see some massive shifts in the global economy and culture as a result of this pandemic.

Arms manufacturers switching to medical equipment, carbon footprint way down through reduced travel and some factory closures, a new emphasis on communal care for the elderly and vulnerable, the neoliberal economic model shredded and people all around the world singing opera or pop songs to their neighbours from balconies or backyards (although that bit gets difficult in a barrio or slum township).

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Swords into ploughshares? We might see some massive shifts in the global economy and culture as a result of this pandemic.

Arms manufacturers switching to medical equipment, carbon footprint way down through reduced travel and some factory closures, a new emphasis on communal care for the elderly and vulnerable, the neoliberal economic model shredded and people all around the world singing opera or pop songs to their neighbours from balconies or backyards (although that bit gets difficult in a barrio or slum township).
    I work in medical devices, and the whole idea is fantasy. I can't see it happening in time to have any effect

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I work in medical devices, and the whole idea is fantasy. I can't see it happening in time to have any effect
    judging the responses by officials today looks like we are in for a long haul not just for a few months

I guess medical equipment can be complex bits of kit to make . the only way I could see it work if say some one like Ford or JCB could assemble only .

meaning keep the same supply chain of parts like injection moulded parts , metal parts , wiring looms ,pcb's etc so you wouldn't have to re qualify those parts with a new supply chain . The supply chain would be the same but they would need to ramp up production to meet demand

Those parts be delivered to say someone like JCB and working with manufacturing engineers from medical device companys copy a production line or model it on an existing line to fully assemble the units

The completed units sent back to a medical device company for testing , software validation and sign off to meet the governance or requirements that is needed to put out into the field .

if we can put a man on the moon in the 60's ( so they say ) I,m sure we could knock up a producton line to meet the requirements that is needed over the next year . obviously a big ask but im sure we have the engineering capability in this country to pull this off after all this a life or death situation

Banned

judging the responses by officials today looks like we are in for a long haul not just for a few months

I guess medical equipment can be complex bits of kit to make . the only way I could see it work if say some one like Ford or JCB could assemble only .

meaning keep the same supply chain of parts like injection moulded parts , metal parts , wiring looms ,pcb's etc so you wouldn't have to re qualify those parts with a new supply chain . The supply chain would be the same but they would need to ramp up production to meet demand

Those parts be delivered to say someone like JCB and working with manufacturing engineers from medical device companys copy a production line or model it on an existing line to fully assemble the units

The completed units sent back to a medical device company for testing , software validation and sign off to meet the governance or requirements that is needed to put out into the field .

if we can put a man on the moon in the 60's ( so they say ) I,m sure we could knock up a producton line to meet the requirements that is needed over the next year . obviously a big ask but im sure we have the engineering capability in this country to pull this off after all this a life or death situation
    We don't have the manufacturing capability though and yes, man did land on the moon,

All staff in company told to WFH from tomorrow. There will be a rota for 1 person to go into the office each day. I WFH 3 days each week anyway but some staff permanently office based. Gawd knows when we’ll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    We don't have the manufacturing capability though and yes, man did land on the moon,
    It would be shocking if a G7 nation couldn't undertake this task and no, man didn't land on the moon

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It would be shocking if a G7 nation couldn't undertake this task and no, man didn't land on the moon
    Clearly they did.

And there's no way we get a company manufacturing new medical devices in weeks.

Yeah the only way it would feasibly work is if a company is prepared to sell their design and let you copy their production line. Even then the supply chain is likely to be difficult, and the more you change from the existing state the more work it is, unless they are suggesting we seriously cut some corners.
    But we are talking months and months at the minimum. We could need these in weeks if the worst forecasts are correct.

Yeah the only way it would feasibly work is if a company is prepared to sell their design and let you copy their production line. Even then the supply chain is likely to be difficult, and the more you change from the existing state the more work it is, unless they are suggesting we seriously cut some corners.
    But we are talking months and months at the minimum. We could need these in weeks if the worst forecasts are correct.
    Patents can be declared void (I think by the government) for this type of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Patents can be declared void (I think by the government) for this type of situation.
    There's a big difference between declaring a patent void and trying to copy a design, to being handed the entire design history file of a product and their manufacturing information. If they just cancel any patents you would then have to design and verify nthat design which would probably take a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I don't think that the patents are declared void, as such. The Patent-owner still retains the IP rights even if the government steps in to use it.

totally agree in terms of time we need to cut corners but I,m sure Bojo and his advisers are working on that right now cutting through the red tape of regulations in these serious times . We were looking at medical device products today at lunchtime and looking at the products we think the automotive companys would be best to use for assembly . they have some very clever Manufacturing Engineers both in manual and automated processes . I notice the Vauxhall factories are shutting temporary today for a month or two . won't be a problem finding the people with the right skills that's for sure

totally agree in terms of time we need to cut corners but I,m sure Bojo and his advisers are working on that right now cutting through the red tape of regulations in these serious times . We were looking at medical device products today at lunchtime and looking at the products we think the automotive companys would be best to use for assembly . they have some very clever Manufacturing Engineers both in manual and automated processes . I notice the Vauxhall factories are shutting temporary today for a month or two . won't be a problem finding the people with the right skills that's for sure
    "in the national interest". believe it or not the Govt. can do pretty much what it wants to do with this phrase - even just walk in and commandeer a business for its own use

It could be done by the patent owner simply issuing licences other parties. Some IP owners don't even have a production line themselves and earn all their income from licensing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-51901372

Is anyone still saying that this is a normal flu?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-51901372

Is anyone still saying that this is a normal flu?
    It's far less deadly than normal flu, believe it or not. 18,000 US citizens had died of flu this winter up until March 5th, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is a US government agency. Meanwhile the total number of coronavirus deaths worldwide is at 6,500.

The flu has killed far more people than coronavirus. So why all the frenzy about COVID-19?

An estimated 32 million Americans have come down with influenza since this year’s flu season began in late September, resulting in about 18,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

More: https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...virus-covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It's far less deadly than normal flu, believe it or not. 18,000 US citizens had died of flu this winter up until March 5th, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is a US government agency. Meanwhile the total number of coronavirus deaths worldwide is at 6,500.

The flu has killed far more people than coronavirus. So why all the frenzy about COVID-19?

An estimated 32 million Americans have come down with influenza since this year’s flu season began in late September, resulting in about 18,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

18 thousand out of 32 million cases. And you're saying it's more deadly than the coronavirus.

By the way. Read past the first handful paragraphs of your linked article.

Again with this? It is 20x more deadly than flu but less people have contracted it.

By this 'logic' conventional weapons are far more dangerous than nuclear because they have killed more at a given point in time.

It's far less deadly than normal flu, believe it or not. 18,000 US citizens had died of flu this winter up until March 5th, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is a US government agency. Meanwhile the total number of coronavirus deaths worldwide is at 6,500. (point 1)

The flu has killed far more people than coronavirus. So why all the frenzy about COVID-19? (point 2)

An estimated 32 million Americans have come down with influenza since this year’s flu season began in late September, resulting in about 18,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (Point 3)

Point 1 is wrong you only need to look at the mortality rate

Point 2 the worry is because it's very infectious and a lot of people are going to get it plus there is a flu vaccine. Flu has killed more to this point, that won't be the same in 6 months if this isn't managed properly.

Point 3 0.05% mortality rate, covid 19 has a mortality rate of 20% in the over 75s.

I've also got a friend who's a doctor in an Irish hospital and they're having a lot of over 50s admitted to the ICU, it was the same in Italy. So even if it isn't killing people it's putting them in intensive care which means others who might need it won't get it.

If you're over 60 please take this seriously because it is going to get very bad very soon if people don't.