+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong

Hong Kong

The Chinese military are gathered at the border, and it looks like the situtation is deteriorating internally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49330848

Re: Hong Kong

The cynical side of me is saying that it is Chinese agent provocateurs who are stirring up a lot of the trouble so that the military have got a legitimate (in their eyes) excuse to go in to the country and take it over

I don't know why people get angry about democracy in Hong Kong when we ignore democratic outcomes in the u.k and many refuse to accept them in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    The cynical side of me is saying that it is Chinese agent provocateurs who are stirring up a lot of the trouble so that the military have got a legitimate (in their eyes) excuse to go in to the country and take it over
    WTF.. Take over what? Hong Kong is chinese territory mate.. Another reminder..

I have some friends in Hong Kong, and they are very nice people with lots of British influences. I also wouldn't wish the presence of Chinese army "peacekeepers" on anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    By take it over, I meant that Hong Kong is a democratic country at the moment. Once the Chinese troops go in, it won't be any longer

The Chinese will be right in the spotlight if the army go in heavy handed. The whole world is watching. Bizarre they dont just abandon the extradition bill, Hong Kong was British for so long, they won’t just lie down an accept the nonsense the Chinese gov get away with in China.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The Chinese will be right in the spotlight if the army go in heavy handed. The whole world is watching. Bizarre they dont just abandon the extradition bill, Hong Kong was British for so long, they won’t just lie down an accept the nonsense the Chinese gov get away with in China.
    Being in the spotlight is not necessarily going to concern Beijing unduly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    By take it over, I meant that Hong Kong is a democratic country at the moment. Once the Chinese troops go in, it won't be any longer
    Democratic? For show, sure.. China don’t **** around.. As long as they got control and it is economically viable, they will take it. But ****ing with their principles and control. No go, and they have no boundaries. Read “Johan Galtung”. Next super power, and no rebellion will stand in their way.

I work with Chinese guys and some of them are so brainwashed about this it's unreal. Thinks it's the media spinning everything against China and thr Hong Kong protests are because of youth unemployment! Shows how well propaganda can work. Especially when social media and certain websites are banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    It's a chinese territory in name but it is still democratic. Either way it doesn't mean it's right that China can force it's authoritarian regime on them.

I was in China last month and the hotel had bbc news, when something about HK came on the screen went black. Speaking to my colleague who's there this week and western news channels have been removed from the hotels tvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's a chinese territory in name but it is still democratic. Either way it doesn't mean it's right that China can force it's authoritarian regime on them.

I was in China last month and the hotel had bbc news, when something about HK came on the screen went black. Speaking to my colleague who's there this week and western news channels have been removed from the hotels tvs.
    It is not without some irony as to how Hong Kong fell into British hands in the first place.....

It becomes fully merged with China anyway in a few years, according to the original agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It becomes fully merged with China anyway in a few years, according to the original agreement
    Yes it's supposed to but that's what the people of Hong Kong don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yes it's supposed to but that's what the people of Hong Kong don't want.
    'What the people want' is a phrase often used by politicians to promote their own cause and the reality is usually more fractured than that. Some interesting info here (although I know little about any bias regarding the website and sources - and I don't have much time to check them out today):

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...citizens-young

You were experiencing parts of the Great Chinese Firewall, Croesy Blue!? They are aggressive expansionists by nature...see Xinjiang, Tibet. Was fascinated to read that there are 200,000 Chinese ‘labourers’ living in Luanda, the Angolan capital...who are all military-trained should Chinese interests in Western Africa need to be protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep Proudfoot View Post
    You were experiencing parts of the Great Chinese Firewall, Croesy Blue!? They are aggressive expansionists by nature...see Xinjiang, Tibet. Was fascinated to read that there are 200,000 Chinese ‘labourers’ living in Luanda, the Angolan capital...who are all military-trained should Chinese interests in Western Africa need to be protected.
    Tibet has been part of China for like 500 years - if that is evidence of their expansionist nature then what does that say about numerous European nations

Quote Originally Posted by Shep Proudfoot View Post
    I’d be amazed if I saw a Chinese person in west Africa....so they are strategically placed allover the globe for the uprising?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’d be amazed if I saw a Chinese person in west Africa....so they are strategically placed allover the globe for the uprising?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    [video snip]
    So the plan is for smaller farms to house all of the sheep? I suppose they will be easier to manage, while the corrupt few will be free to plunder all of our natural resources.

I think Boris should board a gunboat and sail into Hong Kong harbour humming the dambusters tune .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Tibet has been part of China for like 500 years - if that is evidence of their expansionist nature then what does that say about numerous European nations
    My thoughts exactly bloody European federalists as JC once called them.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think Boris should board a gunboat and sail into Hong Kong harbour humming the dambusters tune .