+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Morrissey cancels tour over racism issues

International

Re: Morrissey cancels tour over racism issues

for christ's sake,there is some crap posted on here sometimes.
    the man is just someone who earns his living singing songs, nothing else. Who gives a toss what his politics are?
    would Sludge demand to know a bus driver's politics and refuse to get on the bus if he turned out to be a 'Tory'?

All this faux angst is really quite vomit inducing. so he cancelled a tour, big deal. go and watch someone else!!

As much as I am NOT a fan of Morrissey nor The Smiths ( caught them live in September '84 at Cardiff Uni, and they were one of the most boring live bands I have ever seen, and I've seen literally 500+ gigs in my lifetime so far) I feel you are spot on here. There is a media witch hunt against him, as he is an easy target

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Let's get something clear.

Morrissey cancelled his tour because of a complete witch hunt from political propaganda machines like the Guardian spouting complete nonsense against him. He can't be in a great mental state to cancel so many shows, it's clearly affected him, and I don't get why people are laughing and calling him a bigot.

I don't agree with some of Moz's opinions, but he's entitled to them, and they're not exactly harmful.

It's a real shame that fans of Moz (like myself) who bought a ticket to his show, had hotels booked, and were extremely excited about finally seeing him play in Manchester (in my case) lose out here.

Calling him a racist is ludicrous. It's very disappointing how British tabloids are treating what is quite possibly the best lyricist to ever come out of this country just for being genuine and offering his real opinions. Nowadays, people are too afraid to do so.

He's not supporting Tommy Robinson's views, he's opposing the way in which jailing Tommy Robinson goes against free speech.

I just find it hard to believe that someone who all his life has strongly opposed cruelty against animals - to the extent one of his albums was called Meat is Murder, and he bans meat being sold at venues he performs in - could possibly be racist and cruel against human beings.

The For Britain support, however, I admit is strange and out of character. I don't think he's in a good place right now and age is clearly not working well for him.
    He strongly backs Waters who really is a piece of work. She was too far to the right for even UKIP. I liked The Smiths but in this day and age with all the anti Muslim stuff going around I can’t say it bothers me if I don’t hear anything from Morrisey again.

Would you listen to the lost prophets though? I know that’s an extreme example but how far do you go when separating the art from the artist?

And why would it be faux anger?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    the man is just someone who earns his living singing songs, nothing else. Who gives a toss what his politics are?
    would Sludge demand to know a bus driver's politics and refuse to get on the bus if he turned out to be a 'Tory'?

All this faux angst is really quite vomit inducing. so he cancelled a tour, big deal. go and watch someone else!!

Fairly sure they're all on good terms with each other with the exception of Andy Rourke the weasel.

Johnny Marr and Morrissey exchange emails from time to time - should read Marr's book. He has nothing but good things to say about Moz.

That was a frustrating interview by the way - interviewer was a complete neanderthal.
    He published all these views on his own website though, not just in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Would you listen to the lost prophets though? I know that’s an extreme example but how far do you go when separating the art from the artist?

And why would it be faux anger?
    That is an extreme example - just as you said! Pointless comparing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    And you are particularly proficient at adding to it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    And you are particularly proficient at adding to it.

says the man who comes on here and pontificates as if he is the fecking oracle.

He published all these views on his own website though, not just in an interview.
    I'm aware. However, on his website he says he's categorically not racist, and has many muslim friends. It's honestly shown how much the public's minds can be influenced by tabloids reporting only what they want to report, rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Morrissey - jokingly - compared the left to Hitler. A crude joke, but not something that is uncharacteristic of him (& his notoriously witty lyrics). Obviously this is the only part of the interview the Independent & Guardian chose to quote. It's ludicrous and vicious from two tabloids with a clear agenda against the bloke, just because he doesn't like their newspapers and openly says so.

I reiterate the fact that bands and artists these days don't have the minerals to do the same, as they're so afraid it'll affect album sales.

That is an extreme example - just as you said! Pointless comparing the two.
    It wasn’t a comparison though it’s an extreme example of the same point. How far do you go with it? Would you watch Mel Gibson films or roman Polanski? It’s an interesting debate.

It wasn’t a comparison though it’s an extreme example of the same point. How far do you go with it? Would you watch Mel Gibson films or roman Polanski? It’s an interesting debate.
    I can see what you're getting at...

But paedophilia and antisemitism is a lot different to genuine and harmless political opinions.

I’m not sure id call dog whistle racism harmless in the current climate.

Ive got no problem with anyone enjoying his music still but the man is a massive twat.

I’m not sure id call dog whistle racism harmless in the current climate.

Ive got no problem with anyone enjoying his music still but the man is a massive twat.
    I've read Marr's book, Morrissey's book and multiple biographies and literature regarding The Smiths, Morrissey, Rough Trade etc. I've read all of his recent interviews and watched and read a lot of interviews he's done in the past.

I just don't believe he is racist in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I know we have different musical choices but how anyone can listen to this shit is beyond belief
    The best ending to a concert ever ..

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The best ending to a concert ever ..

It's actually unreal the passion the fans show towards him. Watch his debut solo gig in Wolverhampton - it's crazy.

It's actually unreal the passion the fans show towards him. Watch his debut solo gig in Wolverhampton - it's crazy.
    Everyday is like Sunday in Manchester 2004 on YouTube, people crying in the crowd, absolutely amazing.

It's also unhealthy. Maybe the idolatry and worship has messed him up. Not that I'm making excuses for him but if he has that image and self image but is also still prone to talking cobblers then it creates an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    It's also unhealthy. Maybe the idolatry and worship has messed him up. Not that I'm making excuses for him but if he has that image and self image but is also still prone to talking cobblers then it creates an issue.
    He's been messed up and talking cobblers since the days he used to write letters to the NME as a kid

I'm aware. However, on his website he says he's categorically not racist, and has many muslim friends. It's honestly shown how much the public's minds can be influenced by tabloids reporting only what they want to report, rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Morrissey - jokingly - compared the left to Hitler. A crude joke, but not something that is uncharacteristic of him (& his notoriously witty lyrics). Obviously this is the only part of the interview the Independent & Guardian chose to quote. It's ludicrous and vicious from two tabloids with a clear agenda against the bloke, just because he doesn't like their newspapers and openly says so.

I reiterate the fact that bands and artists these days don't have the minerals to do the same, as they're so afraid it'll affect album sales.
    I’m not a racist, I have many Muslim friends. Jesus. I love his music and the Smiths but his backing of Anne Marie Walters and his extremely offensive comments about Sadiq Khan not being able to speak English is a joke. He’s a nasty piece of work who’s completely lost the plot.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.p...-properly/amp/

Plus his thing about kosher meat, he’s a vegetarian why’s he only against kosher meat ?

a tune from much simpler times
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2-OZZL3Th0

oh the alcoholic afternoons when we sat in your room ..............

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    a tune from much simpler times
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2-OZZL3Th0

oh the alcoholic afternoons when we sat in your room ..............

When I first heard Gene, I thought they were a Smiths tribute act but over time they grew on me. Martin Rossiter was so obviously a Smiths fan and was championed by Morrissey himself in the good old days. I find little to disagree with in his take on the Morrissey/racism issue from last year.

http://thequietus.com/articles/22503...-rossiter-gene

He's not supporting Tommy Robinson's views, he's opposing the way in which jailing Tommy Robinson goes against free speech.
    His actions could have caused a court case to collapse. He pleaded guilty to the charges against him. How on earth does jailing him go against free speech when the charge was contempt of court after he knowledgeably broke the law?

(As an aside, how come he's never stood outside the courts of white rapists?)

Fairly sure they're all on good terms with each other with the exception of Andy Rourke the weasel.

Johnny Marr and Morrissey exchange emails from time to time - should read Marr's book. He has nothing but good things to say about Moz.

That was a frustrating interview by the way - interviewer was a complete neanderthal.
    You're talking out of your arse. I know Andy Rourke. Him and Johnny are mates.