+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Latest worldwide death toll due to the coronavirus is 3,465: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That's very close to the anticipated attendance for Newport County's home fixture tomorrow in what will be a less than half empty Rodney Parade. It's little wonder Elon Musk is sceptical.
    Incredibly, 1.5 million people die from TB each year.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Incredibly, 1.5 million people die from TB each year.
    A great many more die from hunger every year. If 3.5k died from the coronavirus each and every day from here to eternity it would be an irrelevance, a mere tiny blip in a world population of 7.7 billion people.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    A great many more die from hunger every year. If 3.5k died from the coronavirus each and every day from here to eternity it would be an irrelevance, a mere tiny blip in a world population of 7.7 billion people.
    As much as I'm not overly concerned by the coronavirus - your logic is ridiculous. If the virus spreads, then it will be a lot more than 3.5k per day, won't it? The first cases are only really just reaching certain countries so we have no idea how things will look like in, say, a month's time.

I was also having a discussion about this the other day - it's not just the mortality rate that people are concerned about, it's the added pressure on services that a lot of countries would collapse under if a large percentage of the population were too sick to work etc.

But, like I said, I'm not in panic mode yet. I'll just sit on the fence for now and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    As much as I'm not overly concerned by the coronavirus - your logic is ridiculous. If the virus spreads, then it will be a lot more than 3.5k per day, won't it? The first cases are only really just reaching certain countries so we have no idea how things will look like in, say, a month's time.

I was also having a discussion about this the other day - it's not just the mortality rate that people are concerned about, it's the added pressure on services that a lot of countries would collapse under if a large percentage of the population were too sick to work etc.

But, like I said, I'm not in panic mode yet. I'll just sit on the fence for now and see what happens.
    I said this a few times in the thread on the main board. The death rate is not the be all and end all. Even if it kills no one at all, having lots of people sick at the same time (no virus has ever spread so quickly) is like a DDOS attack with the strain it puts on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

We have differing perspectives on this. I've paid no thought to succumbing to this virus because I believe it will be the catalyst and not the cause for a global economic collapse. Whether it's by design or organic then I'm now sure that will be the outcome. Let's say there's a 5% chance I'll be infected by the virus. It's a small concern as I'm 100% sure I will be affected by the social mayhem that will result and all my thoughts and preparations have been geared to lessening the gravity of the fallout.