+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Murphy enjoying training

Josh Murphy enjoying training

Re: Josh Murphy enjoying training

He certainly looks happier on the football field.
    Long may it continue!

About time. Well done Neil Harris. If only Bobby Reid was still here.

Was that Matthew Connolly marking him?

He has a pretty chill live these days, makes good money for training a few days a week

Confidence is a mad thing. Barely 3 weeks ago he was almost hiding on the pitch, now he's buzzing and looks twice the player

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Confidence is a mad thing. Barely 3 weeks ago he was almost hiding on the pitch, now he's buzzing and looks twice the player
    I remember reading on here how crap he was

He was unplayable at times last year. 3 right backs were dragged off because they couldn’t cope with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I remember reading on here how crap he was
    Stuck by him same as I'll stick by Glatzel

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Ever since I got a massively over the top rollicking at work for sending a few emails to mates (in 1998), I’ve always maintained that confidence is like gravity - it’s a lot harder to lose it than gain it.
    I’m delighted that things are going well for Josh.
    Long may it continue!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Stuck by him same as I'll stick by Glatzel
    Although, some posters accuse people like you and I for not being behind the team when we express our dislike of the durge that has been served up at times this season!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Although, some posters accuse people like you and I for not being behind the team when we express our dislike of the durge that has been served up at times this season!
    We can support the team and back the manager and not like certain tactics and team selections. Maybe not according to some.

I guess part of being on a forum is to voice your displeasure , sure as eggs are eggs there will be an overreaction from some when things are going badly.
    Just as some will get carried away with a couple of victories over the worst sides in the league.

I said a few weeks ago this side needs confidence , it doesn't matter how it comes , next few weeks will tell whether they are good enough whilst playing with a bit of confidence.

CONFIDENCE IS KEY

I still think Warnock ruined Murphy though

He's being utilised better now that's for sure.

It's still very early in Murphy's resurgence but it's fair to say that he's looking more confident and that his self belief is creeping back. The problem with Warnocks tactics was that he isolated our wide players, he expected them to do all of the work without an ounce of support, he just wanted them to run at defenders in the hope that they'd get something, a throw in, corner, free kick, anything that represented a break in play and the opportunity to throw the ball into the box.

Harris has changed that massively. Our wide players are a little narrower under him which allows them the ability to link play, essentially starting and ending passages of play. We're also seeing them afforded the luxury of being able to put their foot on the ball and start again because they are getting that bit of support from Tomlin who is the pivot for most of our attacking play, under Warnock that didn't exist. Adomah has shown the ability to check back and lift his head up and start a new phase of play because he has that support around him. Fullbacks are getting forward as well so on occasions the wide players have to sit in. I'm encouraged by it, it's much better and there's a method and intelligence that didn't exist under Warnock. Our wide men have become midfielders when we're defending and attackers when we're in the ascendancy, they're much more involved and i think what we will see is that there's alot more to their game under Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    He was unplayable at times last year. 3 right backs were dragged off because they couldn’t cope with him.
    He certainly didn't look out of place in the Premier League when he first arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's still very early in Murphy's resurgence but it's fair to say that he's looking more confident and that his self belief is creeping back. The problem with Warnocks tactics was that he isolated our wide players, he expected them to do all of the work without an ounce of support, he just wanted them to run at defenders in the hope that they'd get something, a throw in, corner, free kick, anything that represented a break in play and the opportunity to throw the ball into the box.

Harris has changed that massively. Our wide players are a little narrower under him which allows them the ability to link play, essentially starting and ending passages of play. We're also seeing them afforded the luxury of being able to put their foot on the ball and start again because they are getting that bit of support from Tomlin who is the pivot for most of our attacking play, under Warnock that didn't exist. Adomah has shown the ability to check back and lift his head up and start a new phase of play because he has that support around him. Fullbacks are getting forward as well so on occasions the wide players have to sit in. I'm encouraged by it, it's much better and there's a method and intelligence that didn't exist under Warnock. Our wide men have become midfielders when we're defending and attackers when we're in the ascendancy, they're much more involved and i think what we will see is that there's alot more to their game under Harris.
    Great post.

The wingers under Warnock were frustrating to watch, especially in the PL. The amount of man marking they'd do on opposition full backs was insane, it was tactics out of the 80s. Murphy never suited that, I remember being around some people who'd shout at him for not following back, why would you want him inside our half defending?

He's always been a bit of a confidence player, if he wins his first battle with the full back he'll likely have a good game, but if he struggles against him early on then he goes into a shell. With Harris' tactics he's going to be a lot more involved with the build up rather than being a kick and rush winger, it really suits him too.

He certainly didn't look out of place in the Premier League when he first arrived.
    I remember him giving Trent Arnold a tough time. If we can get his confidence back we’re Top 6 without doubt!

I called for a 4321 type formation ages ago and got shot down saying we needed better fullbacks to achieve this so they could overlap, yet our wide men are basically now cutting in and not hugging the sides, and we haven't got overlapping fullbacks but it's still working.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I called for a 4321 type formation ages ago and got shot down saying we needed better fullbacks to achieve this so they could overlap, yet our wide men are basically now cutting in and not hugging the sides, and we haven't got overlapping fullbacks but it's still working.
    You did Dembe in fairness. It's very early and i don't think that we should be getting to carried away with the Hudds performance although it was encouraging and their was purpose to our play at the right times. Harris seems to have settled the defence and is allowing the midfield and striker to play through Tomlin. Small steps and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Great post.

The wingers under Warnock were frustrating to watch, especially in the PL. The amount of man marking they'd do on opposition full backs was insane, it was tactics out of the 80s. Murphy never suited that, I remember being around some people who'd shout at him for not following back, why would you want him inside our half defending?

He's always been a bit of a confidence player, if he wins his first battle with the full back he'll likely have a good game, but if he struggles against him early on then he goes into a shell. With Harris' tactics he's going to be a lot more involved with the build up rather than being a kick and rush winger, it really suits him too.
    The biggest problem for me was that the wide men were so isolated. Warnock wouldn't dare to allow a creative midfielder to drop off and act as an option when Murphy had reached the end of the line with nowhere to go, you could see the frustration in his face. Now he's got that outlet and he knows that he can start again because Harris is allowing midfielders and fullbacks to chance to support. I've been impressed with Adomah, he knows when to go and when to give the ball, he plays with his head up. It's certainly encouraging and there's an element of method and quick play in the final third where players have options because midfielders are creating that little bit of space through movement. It's far from perfect although it's the right way to play.

The players we have can play a bit, all of this crap that was spouted about the squads inability to play just isn't true. We may not be the best footballing team in the division and Harris will go direct when needed but it does look like we are slowly developing our more creative players and affording them the chance to express themselves. Warnock took away that hope with his shocking tactics.

You did Dembe in fairness. It's very early and i don't think that we should be getting to carried away with the Hudds performance although it was encouraging and their was purpose to our play at the right times. Harris seems to have settled the defence and is allowing the midfield and striker to play through Tomlin. Small steps and all that.
    I'm with you fella, I think we are still going to get mid table team results.

Yes, small steps in the right direction, good to see. We won't play like that every game as different teams will give different challenges and force us to play differently to suit, I don't think we are there as a team where (like a few others) we play how we play and dictate games, we seem to be one of the weaker teams that more often than not will end up adapting to the other team.

The biggest problem for me was that the wide men were so isolated. Warnock wouldn't dare to allow a creative midfielder to drop off and act as an option when Murphy had reached the end of the line with nowhere to go, you could see the frustration in his face. Now he's got that outlet and he knows that he can start again because Harris is allowing midfielders and fullbacks to chance to support. I've been impressed with Adomah, he knows when to go and when to give the ball, he plays with his head up. It's certainly encouraging and there's an element of method and quick play in the final third where players have options because midfielders are creating that little bit of space through movement. It's far from perfect although it's the right way to play.

The players we have can play a bit, all of this crap that was spouted about the squads inability to play just isn't true. We may not be the best footballing team in the division and Harris will go direct when needed but it does look like we are slowly developing our more creative players and affording them the chance to express themselves. Warnock took away that hope with his shocking tactics.
    Nothing more to add your honour.

I remember reading on here how crap he was playing