+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Agreed. How would you resolve the left back situation here in January assuming all of them are fit?
    Not much to add to what you and Rjk said really. I'd say one at most out of Bennett and Cunningham will be here next season and it may be neither if they both continue to miss games with injury. What we've seen of Bagan in the first team so far suggests that it could be possible come January to look at him and say I want him to be our first choice left back from now on, but I think it's unlikely because, as you say, it is such a rarity to have time at the end of the season to "build for the future" and that time would certainly not start in January!

As for Martin, I think he could definitely be loaned out to a club in, say, League Two if he continues to perform like he did yesterday, but, despite the talk of our first team wanting to play differently, I don't see much evidence yet of us wanting to use Martin type players at full back - I was struck by how much Bacuna got into the Boro penalty area on Saturday after he came on and I think Osei-Tutu may become more attacking in his outlook once he's more settled here, but, for now, I'm not seeing too much difference in our full back play to recent seasons.

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not much to add to what you and Rjk said really. I'd say one at most out of Bennett and Cunningham will be here next season and it may be neither if they both continue to miss games with injury. What we've seen of Bagan in the first team so far suggests that it could be possible come January to look at him and say I want him to be our first choice left back from now on, but I think it's unlikely because, as you say, it is such a rarity to have time at the end of the season to "build for the future" and that time would certainly not start in January!

As for Martin, I think he could definitely be loaned out to a club in, say, League Two if he continues to perform like he did yesterday, but, despite the talk of our first team wanting to play differently, I don't see much evidence yet of us wanting to use Martin type players at full back - I was struck by how much Bacuna got into the Boro penalty area on Saturday after he came on and I think Osei-Tutu may become more attacking in his outlook once he's more settled here, but, for now, I'm not seeing too much difference in our full back play to recent seasons.
    It was interesting to hear Mourinho after the Burnley game the other night. He said he wanted to push for the win and was thinking of bringing Reguilon on but was worried about losing the defensive qualities that Ben Davies brings. I guess that's the permanent dilemma that a manager faces and while Harris is talking about the idea of 'explosive' full backs he's still wary of committing to it for now.