Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
Great point about the off field activities that players could be involved in?
I wonder how much clubs put into looking after their assets?
There’s always stories around over players who find themselves in financial difficulties because of gambling addictions etc
Wether it’s Gambling, excessive alcohol, drugs, laughing gas chasing other blokes wife’s there are lots of temptations for a lot of players, with a lethal combination of too much time and lots of money at an early age
It’s easy to see how some get involved in some of the things listed.
I doubt too many agents are particularly interested in these things, probably more interested in helping move the players on, on a regular basis?

I don’t know what the answer is, but in an industry that spends millions of pounds annually on new assets, I’d have a team of people who are experts in all sorts of fields from sports psychology to financial expertise at the club to help minimise these problems if it was my money involved!!!!

I guess doing a bit of due diligence on a player before signing him would help beforehand

For me Madine has to be the biggest waste of time and money in recent years
Didn't we have one poster who claimed that Madine's flick on for Pilkington to score at Sheff Utd was worth the transfer fee alone as it helped win promotion?