Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Richyrich

Re: Wi if signal booster advice?

ASUS RT-N66U

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    ASUS RT-N66U
    Just grabbed one of these off ebay for £50, I've been using the plug in TP-Link adapters to get the signal around the house so hopefully that new router will cover the house properly and I can sell these adapters to pay for it.

Richyrich

Great router for the money mate, Have a look at putting merlin firmware on there.
    http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download
    380.64_2 is the latest.
    just upload the .trx file to: Advance settings-Administration-firmware upgrade on the router.

Just to add Asus pay Merlin for his work so he really knows what he is doing and was a major contributor at dd-wrt for years.
    Last edited by Richyrich; 27-01-17 at 06:03.

Great router for the money mate, Have a look at putting merlin firmware on there.
    http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download
    380.64_2 is the latest.
    just upload the .trx file to: Advance settings-Administration-firmware upgrade on the router.

Just to add Asus pay Merlin for his work so he really knows what he is doing and was a major contributor at dd-wrt for years.
    Nice one, cheers. Do you know if it's possible to set up a VPN on that router so that all traffic from all devices that connect to it go through the VPN?

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Nice one, cheers. Do you know if it's possible to set up a VPN on that router so that all traffic from all devices that connect to it go through the VPN?
    Funnily enough, I did just that last week with openvpn using Nordvpn. I only get 10MB download though when my connection is 20MB (with Sky now, no Virgin where I moved to :( YMMV)
    Looking into it, it's the CPU on the router that is the prob, It's only 600Mhz and struggles. Newer Asus routers would be better, 1000Mhz dual core but your looking at £150 at the mo.

Funnily enough, I did just that last week with openvpn using Nordvpn. I only get 10MB download though when my connection is 20MB (with Sky now, no Virgin where I moved to :( YMMV)
    Looking into it, it's the CPU on the router that is the prob, It's only 600Mhz and struggles. Newer Asus routers would be better, 1000Mhz dual core but your looking at £150 at the mo.
    Nice one. Not sure I want to cut my speeds as much as that but this Snoopers Charter is such bullshit that I might give it a go and see how it goes.