I'd give it a go mate, I went to Canada to work for only 6 months and had plans to come back to Wales and go to uni afterwards. 6 months turned into 12 months, I came back for 2 years but had a huge urge to go back as I had another visa that was available to me.

So all in all I ended up in Canada for 3 years, met an awesome Australian girl, we've lived in Wales, NZ and now living in Melbourne. Bit of a crazy route to get here but it's an amazing place. We would like to move back to Wales for a few years at some point so the option is there.

Seems like you're worried about the distance but it's all subjective, to me Cumbria to Wales is like living down the road, distance is a huge problem for us but the world is growing smaller by the year and we are lucky we are able to visit (will be my third trip to Wales in less than 12 months in a few months time), Qantas are introducing direct flights from London to Melbourne/Sydney in a couple years so will shave another 10-20% of the travel time off.

As mentioned by others you can always just move back home, really no shame in that.